• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Calling all Gurus, I'm in desperate help here, please come in and help regarding GPU issues.

yeah exactly Greg, I'm thinking something was shorting when the waterblocks were placed on the cores. Will have a look at the height closely this time. It's obviously something to do with the blocks or the little passive heatsinks I've put on. Must be touching something somewhere that it shouldnt be.

Don't know why, but I suspect a short being caused by the blocks, but to test that theory would mean taking one of and back to air to see if that solves it. Good luck - hope you find the problem soon. Just seems odd that they both worked pre watercooling. Don't suppose there is a very small leak in the blocks which has caused a short - very unlikely I know but.....

check all the components on the pcb that use the standard cooler for heat transfer in comparison to the blocks. For example the new blocks might not be cooling a voltage regulator for the memory,display dsp, or some temperature sensitive components on the card, but the original cooler does by conducting heat away.

Can you put some pics up of the pcb, the underside of the block and stock cooler

Last edited:
Blocks back on, loop filled yet again, tested and guess what.......black screens yet again.

Yes the pcb is flexing a little kaap, I've got a pillar made that I had planned on screwing in place to keep the cards from drooping but left it at the pub after I left from making it. Am planning on making another tjough, I wouldn't say it's drooping a lot though.

I'll drain the loop again for the 4th time tomorrow. Take the blocks off again and take some pictures, but I need a break tonight.

Ok raised the cards so they are not warping, still the same, black screens when using Display Port only.

Just done a 30 minute loop of Valley but connection via HDMI without any issue what so ever. Here's a GPUz log of the runs in valley. Core temp lovely, VRM1 showing a lot of heat but I expect that with only passive cooling due to the waterblocks only covering the core.

21737449446_5f86b0791b_b.jpg

And this is through DisplayPort, lasted about 7 seconds before I started getting black screens. The screen actually stayed black this time, so had to change back to HDMI on monitor to get the display back so I could post this. As you can see, VRM temps no where near as high as when doing the faultless 30 minute Valley run using HDMI, nearly 40c lower but still black screening.

21575893088_83e7d2e623_b.jpg

Last edited:
Shot in the dark here, but since your blocks are on, any way you can prop up the frozr/gaming??? cooler and plug the fans in and try DP, I had a 670 Amp that refused to do anything unless it's original fan was plugged in.

Shot in the dark here, but since your blocks are on, any way you can prop up the frozr/gaming??? cooler and plug the fans in and try DP, I had a 670 Amp that refused to do anything unless it's original fan was plugged in.

no different mate, plugged the stock cooler in, got fans spinning at 100% but still black screening on DisplayPort within 5 or 6 seconds of running anything 3d.

Last edited:
Is the heatsinks touching anything.

nope, nothing touching anything. And surely if it was, then it would short out on every connection type and not just DisplayPort. I can game and bench all day long using HDMI or DVI but as soon as I try DP within a few second I get black screens, but with the stock cooler back on the card, DisplayPort is abssolutely fine.

Last edited:
Ek have had issues with blocks in the past. The 4870X2 block used to short circuit cards and the Rampage 3 Gene block killed motherboards. Maybe email them to let them know?

edit: Don't mean to thrash EK, they stopped selling the r3gene block once they found out and included plastic washers with the 4870x2 block to stop it from happening.

Last edited:
nope, nothing touching anything. And surely if it was, then it would short out on every connection type and not just DisplayPort. I can game and bench all day long using HDMI or DVI but as soon as I try DP within a few second I get black screens, but with the stock cooler back on the card, DisplayPort is abssolutely fine.

True, and what washers are you using and what about trying taking off the backplate.

I bet you wish you went for the xspc raystorm blocks now.

hmm, its not the sort of thing that should ever happen with a waterblock, they are meant to be properly tested, it is a new card though so the likleyhood increases

You made sure to use proper non conductive thermal paste ?
I guess that wouldnt matter if the short stops happening when the cooler is changed, thats really odd, have you tried swapping the blocks over ?
does it happen with both waterblocks ? tried single cards 1 at a time ?

hmm, its not the sort of thing that should ever happen with a waterblock, they are meant to be properly tested, it is a new card though so the likleyhood increases

You made sure to use proper non conductive thermal paste ?
I guess that wouldnt matter if the short stops happening when the cooler is changed, thats really odd, have you tried swapping the blocks over ?
does it happen with both waterblocks ? tried single cards 1 at a time ?

yes using really good paste. Not tried swapping the blocks over no. Yes the same issue happens with both cards when used on their own 1 at a time in the system, exactly the same issue. I find it really weird how its only effecting DP and not HDMI or DVI....that's the bit I can't understand. And I can't understand when the damn original stock cooler is on the card, DP is fine. I'm doing my nut in here, it's actually making me a little upset because this is a project that I'm trying to finish that my dad put in his will before he passed a few months back. Making me pretty unhappy that I can't get this sorted as he always thought the world of me and what I can do with a computer. I'm just really stumped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom