Can money buy happiness?

Soldato
I wouldn't tell anyone exactly how much i'd won. I'd help my closest family out in ways that are meaningful. And continue to live comfortable but nothing too extravagant. I wouldn't want my kids to be spoilt. They also would never know how well off we were.

Isn't there a clause in the National Lottery/Euromillion agreement whereby winners must do some publicity work around their win?

Keeping it quiet could get very stressful.

Permabanned
Isn't there a clause in the National Lottery/Euromillion agreement whereby winners must do some publicity work around their win?

Keeping it quiet could get very stressful.

If you accept doing publicity they give you support for dealing with the media. If you choose not to they don't give you that but they still give all the meaningful stuff like financial advisers, access to private banks etc.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I believe that it could, but you'd probably need a morale compass with a good character and a level head, to resist the temptation to turn in to an arrogant fool.

For instance, myself and the girlfriend are looking to go away for a week, before the schools go back (she is a teacher). The cost for somewhere half-decent is approx £500-600pp, which is not a trivial amount to blow and not an essential outlay.

We therefore are weighing up if we should just save and go another time, but it will mean another year without a holiday. However, if money were no object we'd probably have booked a week or two away and thought nothing of it.

However, this is assuming we carried on with our day jobs. If neither of us worked and could literally do anything, how long would it take before we're spending ridiculous amounts on needless items and holidays, "because money"? I'd rather have just enough to be comfortable than unlimited amounts.

jkb

jkb

Associate
This is spot on imo.

As I've become older I've become more wealthy. My income now is multiples of what it was when I finished education, and my net wealth many more multiples again.

However, many days I think to myself I've never been more miserable, and the things that do make me happy, are either things that don't cost me a penny, or things I could afford to buy years ago.

You just described my situation and feelings exactly.

Soldato
Always hated the phrase "money can't buy you happiness." Not directly, no, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot happier if I wasn't spending a substantial amount of my waking life working. A substantial windfall on the lottery would give me access to huge opportunities as well as allowing me the time to enjoy them :)

Associate
I have no doubt in my mind that more money would make me life better in many many ways which would in turn make me happier,unless you are rich/well off this generally applies to everyone.

Sadly this world has been made to revolve around money without it there are a lot of things in life you can't experience.

Back
Top Bottom