Can money buy happiness?

Associate
I would imagine the answer is no ! Money would give you security but it sure wouldn't buy you happiness , that comes within ,

The only reason I'd like to be rich is for one simple reason , I wouldn't have to work :) does anyone truly love working ? I doubt it unless its a passion you have , I could travel for the rest of my life non stop and never worry about paying bills ever again.

Soldato
I think you'll find it was an american study and that was in $

Basically it's saying when all your basic needs are met, food, shelter, clothing and enough disposable income for some entertainment, then extra money to buy 'anything you want' doesn't actually bring any more happiness.

Associate
Everyone's view will be different

For me - Yes, It would enable me to livestream more, something I'm finding I really really enjoy, and allow me to help those who have been there for me in the past.

And allow me to get a myself a Zaf GSi

Soldato
Only if lack of money is what stops you from being happy.

I would be happier if I were suddenly rich, because the grind of work and it's affect on my spare time, as well as the real world limitations of what I can do within budgetary constraints, are real things which affect my happiness.

I don't glean happiness from workplace achievement. It's just a slog, and a means to an end.

Soldato
I think you'll find it was an american study and that was in $

Basically it's saying when all your basic needs are met, food, shelter, clothing and enough disposable income for some entertainment, then extra money to buy 'anything you want' doesn't actually bring any more happiness.

There was another study that had similar findings apart from one aspect - how much money you have in relation to those around you has an impact on happiness.

The problem is that people move to nicer areas and interact with different people as they get richer and so never actually feel rich. It's better to be the richest man in Hull than just your average Joe in Belgravia apparently.

Associate
Money cannot be a sole reason for happiness but it can be a major contributor.

Having no money worries and having that sense of financial security can bring a lot of happiness to some people, and give you the opportunities to do the things you would otherwise not be able to do, consequently adding more happiness to your life.

Associate
Temporarily it will, of course. As will a lot of the objects it would allow you to purchase. It won't however, bring about a deep seated contentment with life. Pleasure from "stuff" is pretty short lived, in my experience. And yes, that includes alcohol, cocaine and hookers.

How will you feel when the money runs out/is taken away?

Will money stop your friends and loved ones dying?

V F

V F

Soldato
Money helped the family take their son to America to cure him? Remember the parents that were arrested...

Associate
Depends on how much it is.
If it's enough so you don't have to go to work again then of course it will make my life happier. I can look back an my life and think, yes I have lived my life doing what I wanted to do and not slogging my guts out every day at work.
Even if I had enough money just to pay the mortgage off then that would make my life so much more comfortable. Like said before, I think it can bring much happiness in some aspects in life but not all of them.

Soldato
Of course it can, if you won the lottery and you took your whole family to another country to start your life over, new houses, cars, boats etc, it absolutely can buy happiness.

Soldato
Yes, unless you suffer from depression, then all the money in the world wouldn't make much difference.

Although saying that, i'd still rather be depressed and rich than depressed and poor.

Associate
No, but I believe it's very difficult to be happy without it.

Above all money gives you options. Hate your soul crushing job? Then quit with no repercussions. I'd imagine most people would feel better just knowing they had that choice should they need it.

Soldato
Being young, no kids, girlfriend but not fiance/wife yet I'd say it can go a long way to 'buying' happiness.

Apparently, the way to be happy with money is experiences over actual possessions.
If i had money I'd spend it on a mix of both. For example, instead of spending a day off playing games on my PC, i'd have a purpose-bought track motorbike, which I'd take on track days.

Would that make me happier than sitting on a PC? I'd expect so

Equally, I also strongly agree that money isn't everything. If someone was fundamentally unhappy, if they won the lottery, I expect they would still be unhappy, unless they were originally unhappy because of money stress/problems.

Back
Top Bottom