• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can you recommend me my first Nvidia in 20 years RTX 2080

Associate
Hello people, just about to join the green side for the first time in 20 years, sold my radeon 7 to get a 2080

Hey I would have kept the VII than get a RTX 2080 fella, same speed in games and only 8G of Vram on the rtx2080. raytracing and DLS isn't all that anyway. A step up would be wait for 2080 super, but if your desperate then EVGA would be a good choice for warranty
and the fact they don't mind if you fit a water block which I presume you will want to. As the saying goes the grass isn't greener on the green side unless you go 2080 super or 2080ti

Soldato
OP
Hey I would have kept the VII than get a RTX 2080 fella, same speed in games and only 8G of Vram on the rtx2080. raytracing and DLS isn't all that anyway. A step up would be wait for 2080 super, but if your desperate then EVGA would be a good choice for warranty
and the fact they don't mind if you fit a water block which I presume you will want to. As the saying goes the grass isn't greener on the green side unless you go 2080 super or 2080ti
I'd just had enough dissapointment from amd, i was hanging on to their products as an upgrade path and to support them but after the recent navi announcement that was the last time i pin hope on them. fury x , vega, radeon 7 , navi all too expensive and underpowered.
The 2080 is overall faster than the R7 and I just want to see what raytracing e.t.c is like for a year before I upgrade to something like rtx 3000 series or if AMD get their act together in 2020 i will pop back over , but brand loyalty is gone for me now, I will just buy what i feel comfortable with in the power to price point.

If the super 2080 is better and the same price as the 2080's now then I will return my new gpu and get one, its no biggy, I have 28 days consumer return rights :)

Associate
I'd just had enough dissapointment from amd

I feel your pain, was hopeing Navi would be a big leap forward with all the speculation surrounding it. Just goes to show how the hype train builds up hope. I just hope ryzen 3000 proves its self to be the big intel killer. but back to 2080's I would go with EVGA for the warranty and ability to fit a water block.

Soldato
OP
I feel your pain, was hopeing Navi would be a big leap forward with all the speculation surrounding it. Just goes to show how the hype train builds up hope. I just hope ryzen 3000 proves its self to be the big intel killer. but back to 2080's I would go with EVGA for the warranty and ability to fit a water block.
Yep, the bubble burst, I've been loyal to them since good knows when, 20 years...

Thanks for the advice, is there any particular model of evga you'd recommend over others?

Associate
how much do you have to spend? I would get the 2080ti XC Ultra which is available for £1099 at the moment. But if you deffo want a 2080 then the XC ultra version is £709 on OCUK

Soldato
OP
As mentioned you would want an A chip variant, better overclocking head room I believe, but I have no idea which card uses the A chip. perhaps an owner in the 2080 owners thread can help there.
I can look them up on techpowerup its relatively simple, I think anything above the black (although there are two types of black edition one a and one not)
So the xc, xc ultra upwards are all A chip.
how much do you have to spend? I would get the 2080ti XC Ultra which is available for £1099 at the moment. But if you deffo want a 2080 then the XC ultra version is £709 on OCUK
£650 was my limit really, I saw a £750 brand new 2080ti elsewhere on the internet for a gigabyte gaming oc 2080 ti but that was with a 10% discount that ran out last night

I did spy the palit game rock which is an A chip with custom pcb and 10+2 Vrms.. are they any good, Pny and Palit are companies I don't know much about as like mobile phone people only go for the well known brands whether they are better or not like asus , gigabyte ,evga e.t.c as they are more well known.

Associate
With the amount of issues the 20 series have I would honestly just go with EVGA, if you need to RMA your card you can use advanced RMA and they put a charge on your credit card or debit card then refund it once they receive the faulty card. It just means you aren't without a card for ages (some people are waiting over a month). You can also extend the warranty when you register the card with EVGA.
I have the found the 2080 XC Ultra for £675.98 from a competitor but then you will need another £11 delivery on top of that. But its still £24 cheaper

Soldato
If the super 2080 is better and the same price as the 2080's now then I will return my new gpu and get one, its no biggy, I have 28 days consumer return rights :)
Chances are it will be the same price. NV are OOS now on both the 2070 and 2080 (FE cards - UK site) so these probably will soon be superseded at likely the same price point.
Just wait a month rather than using the 28 day consumer protection thing. That doesn't come without cost somewhere along the line and is meant for protection really, not to get free use of somethign for 28 days as a stop gap:)

Soldato
OP
Chances are it will be the same price. NV are OOS now on both the 2070 and 2080 (FE cards - UK site) so these probably will soon be superseded at likely the same price point.
Just wait a month rather than using the 28 day consumer protection thing. That doesn't come without cost somewhere along the line and is meant for protection really, not to get free use of somethign for 28 days :)
Protecting me from spending too much for a card that costs too much in the first place ;)

Back
Top Bottom