Can you see anything wrong with what I'm about to do?

Caporegime
TL;DR:

We have three 200kw pumps on our roof plant room which have recently had new inverters installed. The inverters aren't responding to our building management system. The inverters, installed and commissioned by company A, aren't responding to the commands issued to them by the kit installed by company B, which in turn works in conjunction with kit installed by company C.

So, three different companies, need all three to attend at the same time. I want to send an email to all three, ie. not CC'd in, or separate emails, one email to all.

Can you see anything wrong with this?

Ta :)

Caporegime
OP
Good afternoon,

We would like to request an engineer from all three of your firms at the same time to address an issue with our main chilled water plant not running in auto. Please can you all advise available dates so we can agree to meet up and resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Caporegime
OP
Most of the time its a BMS issue, you could try them first - are they using a 4-20 ma or 0-10v signal?

It's a lot more complicated than that. Yes it's a BMS issue but we also have a SIP interface. Our Trend system is also getting on a bit and reverse engineering the strategies would take a week at least. We've already had Trend in, as well as the guy who commissioned the inverters but neither of them could figure it out so we're getting them all in at once and locking them in the plant room until it's sorted.

RJC

RJC

Don
It's a lot more complicated than that. Yes it's a BMS issue but we also have a SIP interface. Our Trend system is also getting on a bit and reverse engineering the strategies would take a week at least. We've already had Trend in, as well as the guy who commissioned the inverters but neither of them could figure it out so we're getting them all in at once and locking them in the plant room until it's sorted.

That will be the easier way, was this all working at some point :eek:

Are you using the inverters for starting or varying the speed depending on amount of chiller running?

Caporegime
OP
That will be the easier way, was this all working at some point :eek:

Are you using the inverters for starting or varying the speed depending on amount of chiller running?

Pretty much, yes. They ramp up and down depending on load and also automatically swap duties between them. It was working perfectly fine until we had a textbook case of penny pinching and getting a cheaper contractor in who promptly killed the whole plant room and is unable to get it going again.

These pumps interface with a sequencer, the Trane chiller control system, the Trend BMS and the SIP managed this fine until recently, hence why we're getting them all in to resolve it. These pumps are the primary chilled system for a £650m building stuffed with high profile investment bankers, forex brokers, lawyers and a college which charges $100k a year, so it's not really the kind of building where we can take chances and wing it.

RJC

RJC

Don
Pretty much, yes. They ramp up and down depending on load and also automatically swap duties between them. It was working perfectly fine until we had a textbook case of penny pinching and getting a cheaper contractor in who promptly killed the whole plant room and is unable to get it going again.

These pumps interface with a sequencer, the Trane chiller control system, the Trend BMS and the SIP managed this fine until recently, hence why we're getting them all in to resolve it. These pumps are the primary chilled system for a £650m building stuffed with high profile investment bankers, forex brokers, lawyers and a college which charges $100k a year, so it's not really the kind of building where we can take chances and wing it.

Sounds about right, trying save a quick buck, we have similar issue were I work - Customer gets a cheaper contracter in and screws everything up.

Not used Trend in years, not familiar with the trane system, I worked with York ISN for the past 8 years! now in the spares office you soon loose touch :(

Soldato
Do you really need to check with the internet before you organise a meeting between 3 people (4 if you are going)? What on earth will you do if they ask for a drink?

Caporegime
Sounds like you could get away with A and B at the same time to prove that link works, and then B and C. But I don't think it's unreasonable to give them a date a reasonable amount of time in the future and request they all attend at the same time.

Caporegime
OP
Do you really need to check with the internet before you organise a meeting between 3 people (4 if you are going)? What on earth will you do if they ask for a drink?

I don't need to do anything. I am however very good at what I do which is why I ask questions like this before looking like an idiot to those who wish to promote me. I can (and usually do) look like an idiot on here, so I can look like a pro in the real world ;)

Soldato
I don't need to do anything. I am however very good at what I do which is why I ask questions like this before looking like an idiot to those who wish to promote me. I can (and usually do) look like an idiot on here, so I can look like a pro in the real world ;)

So good you need to ask the internet how to arrange a meeting tho :p

Caporegime
"HELLO IS THIS THE TOILET COMPANY? WELL GOOD BECAUSE MY TOILETS ON THE ROOF AReNT WORKING AND I DON'T KNOW, PROBABNLY thE SIP OR THE BIS OR THE SOMESUCH. CAN YOU DO THE BETTER FIX UP AND THANK YOU."

And that's just the email subject header. Let me prepare the content and I'll be right back. You are welcome. No, really. Also, that's 20 dollars.

Caporegime
"HELLO IS THIS THE TOILET COMPANY? WELL GOOD BECAUSE MY TOILETS ON THE ROOF AReNT WORKING AND I DON'T KNOW, PROBABNLY thE SIP OR THE BIS OR THE SOMESUCH. CAN YOU DO THE BETTER FIX UP AND THANK YOU."

And that's just the email subject header. Let me prepare the content and I'll be right back. You are welcome. No, really. Also, that's 20 dollars.

'This high quality post was brought to you by [FnG]magnolia'.

:p

Caporegime
OP
Sounds about right, trying save a quick buck, we have similar issue were I work - Customer gets a cheaper contracter in and screws everything up.

Not used Trend in years, not familiar with the trane system, I worked with York ISN for the past 8 years! now in the spares office you soon loose touch :(

The problem with our building is also its strength. Everything is so over engineered it's absolutely unreal. The entire thing is lined with a metal mesh to form a faraday cage (which is why I don't have mobile signal at work) The glass is so thick that if two people stand right next to each other but on different sides of the glass, one can't hear the other knocking on it, no matter how hard they knock. The building is so strong that we have an invacuation rather than an evacuation procedure. From entering the building to getting to our workshop, I walk through 14 doors, 8 of which are armoured, bomb proof units.

The plant is so over-specced it could probably run the buildings either side of ours too. The generators for example have the capacity to run the entire building, not just critical systems, down to the mirror lights in the toilets. These are fed by tanks large enough to sustain the building on diesel alone for 14 days. It's basically a fortress dressed as an office block.

This however is also the reason we have so many different systems all interfacing with each other, and all the head aches that go with it.

I guess this is what happens when a bank goes "build me a building, no expense spared" slap bang in the middle of the Troubles and right in the center of the square mile.

We had York chillers at BT HQ on Newgate street. Bloody things couldn't go a week without something failing (again as a result of penny pinching and getting mickey mouse firms to maintain them).

Back
Top Bottom