Can you see anything wrong with what I'm about to do?

And it's all going to be let down by a maintenance management company hooking up an ADSL line to a BMS and opening it to the world with a default password :p

Never underestimate what people will do to make their life easier, it can be a full-time job running around unplugging stupid bodges, and nobody installing that stuff seems to know the implications of what they do. I've seen some absolute horror stories when building management companies try to do IT security.

Contact whoever installed/looks after your TREND system.

Don't waste money contacting whoever installed the inverters or motors (a pump is not connected to an inverter, a motor is :p) until the TREND guy tells you the strategy/control panels are fine.

If the control panels/strategy are fine, then contact someone to programme the inverter.

If the control panels/strategy are fine and inverters are programmed, contact whoever installed the motors to make sure they're wired correctly in delta.

Last edited:
The problem with our building is also its strength. Everything is so over engineered it's absolutely unreal. The entire thing is lined with a metal mesh to form a faraday cage (which is why I don't have mobile signal at work) The glass is so thick that if two people stand right next to each other but on different sides of the glass, one can't hear the other knocking on it, no matter how hard they knock. The building is so strong that we have an invacuation rather than an evacuation procedure. From entering the building to getting to our workshop, I walk through 14 doors, 8 of which are armoured, bomb proof units.

The plant is so over-specced it could probably run the buildings either side of ours too. The generators for example have the capacity to run the entire building, not just critical systems, down to the mirror lights in the toilets. These are fed by tanks large enough to sustain the building on diesel alone for 14 days. It's basically a fortress dressed as an office block.

This however is also the reason we have so many different systems all interfacing with each other, and all the head aches that go with it.

I guess this is what happens when a bank goes "build me a building, no expense spared" slap bang in the middle of the Troubles and right in the center of the square mile.

We had York chillers at BT HQ on Newgate street. Bloody things couldn't go a week without something failing (again as a result of penny pinching and getting mickey mouse firms to maintain them).

That does sound extreme, been to a few sites which have done the same!

What chillers did they have at BT - YR or YK

That does sound extreme, been to a few sites which have done the same!

What chillers did they have at BT - YR or YK

I don't know. All I can say is that they were 20 odd years old and were screw chillers with cooling towers on the roof. They were absolutely bulletproof until they got some crap company to maintain them using seals apparently made out of bicycle tubes.

I don't know. All I can say is that they were 20 odd years old and were screw chillers with cooling towers on the roof. They were absolutely bulletproof until they got some crap company to maintain them using seals apparently made out of bicycle tubes.

Probably YS chillers then sadly not worked on these :(, save on maintenance pay for it on the long run !

Do you get over to the walky talky building?

Probably YS chillers then sadly not worked on these :(, save on maintenance pay for it on the long run !

Do you get over to the walky talky building?

Sadly not, no. Who maintains it? For some reason I want to say Integral but I'm probably wrong.

We had a flood at BT HQ once. The whole plant room in the basement is one massive open area with all the tanks, pumps, AHUs, etc all in one massive room. It's about the size of four football pitches, biggest plant room I've ever seen. In the center of it was the chiller plant room which was sunk by about 2ft below the rest of the plant area. We had a drinking water tank in the basement which had a float valve which didn't shut off so whilst we were waiting for a replacement, we had to check the tank every 2 hours and open / shut the feed manually (which at BT took months as their procurement procedure involves convincing about 15 people that they need to spend the money). One of the guys on night shift ignored it and, well...

2mSTEdS.jpg

TAxpAdN.jpg

The guy in the photo was our chiller guy, he left his tools on site as they do, and came back the next morning to find all his kit soaked and knackered, poor guy. Our engineer was instantly suspended and was never seen again.

Back
Top Bottom