Can Zero Fill kill SSD?

Associate
hi guys - so i am having abit of trouble

i recently bought a new SSD - samsung 980 pro, i stupidly zero filled it because i couldnt delete some data (not knowing you are not meant to do this to an ssd)

is it possible that zero filling an SSD could have damaged it from just doing it once or twice thanks

i have been encountering issues since i put this ssd into my system - this could be because of the zero fill, could be because i installed windows 11, but even since i reverted back to windows 10 on a fresh install, one software is now behaving weird, could be unrelated

Soldato
It won't cause damage. A teeny tiny bit of extra writing to the NAND cells but that's no more than you'd do if you were using it as you'd typically do.

Man of Honour
One software behaving weird won't be because of the SSD. Zero fill won't do anything to the health of the drive, you can even install Samsung Magician to check the health state and you should see that the health is listed as good and there are no SMART errors in the diagnostics screen nor are there any bad blocks in the short test result window.

Back
Top Bottom