Cancelled TV licence

Soldato
No one can enter your house without consent unless you let them . The police can only force entry if crime is being commited at the time or someone life is in danger . Court sherifs can break in and enter but normal everyday ballifs can not and must get your permission .

Source?

I understand about a High Court writ, however if you stop someone executing a warrant you're on the wrong side of the law book.

Soldato
The first line is correct - your interpretation of it underneath was incorrect :)

The key words are "if you watch or record as it's being broadcast"

This is recording or watching whilst it's being broadcast, via an aerial, cable/satellite box, or via iPlayer whilst live or even the likes of TVCatchUp, on any device - a TV, PC, smart phone, video recorder etc.

If you don't do any of these, then you don't need a TV licence.

You don't need a licence even if you use iPlayer and only watch the shows after they've been broadcast. You don't need a licence if you download the shows from other sources and watch them after they've been broadcast (although this goes into other grey areas, as far as for dicussion on this forum is concerned, this isn't legal)

Soldato
I would love to know this, I remember the TV detector van's.

I would assume that they would have up to date equipment that will detect if your watching live TV, how I don't know.

I wouldn't worry about it, according to wiki they only have 11+ in the entire country and no data from technology claimed to detect television signals has ever been used as court evidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
I cancelled mine a year or two ago, they kept sending letters until I told them via the website that I didn't need one. Never heard a dicky bird from them since.

The only way to receive a signal here is via cable, and buggered if i'm going to pay for that. Occasionally watch iPlayer HD catchup stuff. Think all i've watched is Doctor Who this year. The missus just watches her Japanese TV on the iPad.

The TV is for Movies, American Series and Games.

Associate
OP
Got to admit this is the first night without live TV, and to be honest I have spent most of the evening watching what I really want to watch, I guess it's because I haven't been sucked into the oh this looks ok scenario.

Soldato
I havent had a licence for years. I cant justify spending £200 for a licence (£150 odd for licence plus 6 months up front) when there is not much to watch, for me anyway. I work nights so im asleep all day and out all night.

I can go through the tv guide and circle 1 or 2 programmes which I would probably watch and I can get them from downloading. Wrong I know but with the increased technology of the Internet you dont need a licence.

Associate
So just because you have a pc , regarding the aerial how do they know after visiting you just havent plugged an indoor aerial back in? i have just got atv and netflix here and i think that will satisfy my needs but i could do with out all the bother of a tv licence fella wanting to mooch around. Various people on here are saying they watch stuff off a pc iplayer and that but i thought that having a net connection and pc means you have to have a licence.

Soldato
So just because you have a pc , regarding the aerial how do they know after visiting you just havent plugged an indoor aerial back in? i have just got atv and netflix here and i think that will satisfy my needs but i could do with out all the bother of a tv licence fella wanting to mooch around. Various people on here are saying they watch stuff off a pc iplayer and that but i thought that having a net connection and pc means you have to have a licence.

They don't. They only know anything if you tell them and you don't have to tell them anything.

Associate
I don't have a tv licence because I just use my smart tv and Blu-ray player to watch blu-rays and iplayer.

I phoned the tv licence place to check and they told me that I don't need a licence for what I watch and they have been twice to my home to check and are happy with how and what I watch.

Back
Top Bottom