Cancer

Soldato
Exactly! It's not like it's brain surgery or anything...

Seriously, I'm pretty sure scientists all across the globe are working as hard as they can to find the elusive cure but I'll be sure to tell them that you're unhappy with their progress if I ever meet any of them :rolleyes:

Its not a case of being unhappy about it, its a simple fact that if you throw enough time and money at a problem you eventually find a fix.

My original question was, where does all the money from the donations go? I was trying to imply that maybe not enough goes to the doctors and scientist. Maybe if they had more of it, things would progress quicker.

Soldato
Everyone at work is ranting about it too.

The very fact people are now talking about it, debating it, posting threads and discussing it etc surely is a good thing, and will spur people on to donate? It doesn't matter what is being done to get attention, rather more important that the matter is being brought up.

And yeah, people who know people who have had cancer, or do have or have had cancer previously, it's very sad but every single person in the UK has a similar story. We're all well aware of what cancer does to people and families.

This is just a seemingly harmless way of bringing it up into the conversation again, it's a little stupid and in isolation does nothing to help cancer research, but it's got people talking again. I just hope it's helped donations, that's the bottom line.

I honestly feel that if that was to happen, it would be a minority that would donate anything. Its almost as if those participating (the majority of whom are very unlikely to donate) are using it as excuse to post drivel under the guise of something far more important and saying they're doing something good because OTHER people are donating money to a good cause? Nice.

Soldato
Are you sure this kind of thing on facebook isn't going to give me eye cancer

It's like the scene out of Kevin and Perry go large when those two girls are queueing up to get in the club

"Look....

Your faces...ewww...offend my mirror"

Soldato
Nick is coming under unjust fire here. I think his original sentiment has been taken way out of context. It's an interesting point, in a world where development of technologies is seemingly spiralling out of control, a cure for cancer is relatively slow in advancement.

I honestly feel that if that was to happen, it would be a minority that would donate anything. Its almost as if those participating (the majority of whom are very unlikely to donate) are using it as excuse to post drivel under the guise of something far more important and saying they're doing something good because OTHER people are donating money to a good cause? Nice.

We can never know how many of the people posting "makeup'less" selfies actually donate but two things are certain; it's completely harmless, and people are now talking about it everywhere.

I don't see this as a bad thing.

Associate
OP
Nick is coming under unjust fire here. I think his original sentiment has been taken way out of context. It's an interesting point, in a world where development of technologies is seemingly spiralling out of control, a cure for cancer is relatively slow in advancement.

We can never know how many of the people posting "makeup'less" selfies actually donate but two things are certain; it's completely harmless, and people are now talking about it everywhere.

It's not a good thing either. It's pointless. Everybody knows what cancer is. Everyone is aware of it.

If they were posting links to donation pages and encouraging their friends to donate then it might be helpful, but I've not seen a single one doing this.

Associate
All these donations to Cancer Research, where does the money go? I cant see much in the way of a cure being found, apart from a few new early detection techniques they are no closer to solving the riddle. This year alone, I know 3 people who have been effected directly or indirectly with cancer. My own sister at the age of 21 had to have both her breast removed as a precaution against some genetic type of cancer and when she has had a child they plan to remove her womb as well.

For all the millions and billions they get, progress is too slow IMHO.

The money goes to advertising and paying wages. Very little of the money will be used for research.

That's why I don't donate to big companies that run massive advertising campaigns.

My dance school is doing an awareness thing for the Dr Hadwen Trust. They don't just focus on cancer but other diseases too. They also do not use animals in their testing. They are not well known as they don't advertise and actually use the money for research like that are meant to.

Permabanned

I think you may be thinking about this rather more deeply than any of the vapid, egocentric lot who are doing it are. ;)

Soldato
It's not a good thing either. It's pointless. Everybody knows what cancer is. Everyone is aware of it.

If they were posting links to donation pages and encouraging their friends to donate then it might be helpful, but I've not seen a single one doing this.

It's got people talking. If this increases donations even by 0.001%, at no expense to anyone, that's a good thing.

I can't say whether it has increased donations. Can safely assume it hasn't decreased them.

Soldato
I think you may be thinking about this rather more deeply than any of the vapid, egocentric lot who are doing it are. ;)

I'm sure I am - and that's my point, too. Even if the people who are posting the selfies are not donating, it has gotten people talking. People like you and me, who would donate. It's brought it to the front line of discussion again.

I stand by my sentiment that this is no bad thing.

A poor/stupid idea leading to a good cause is still a good cause. All's well that ends well.

Soldato
It's got people talking. If this increases donations even by 0.001%, at no expense to anyone, that's a good thing.

I can't say whether it has increased donations. Can safely assume it hasn't decreased them.

Can you? What if a bunch of people who would have donated have now gotten sick and tired of all the crap that people are doing and stopped donating because of it? Like the whiney adverts on TV telling me to donate to a 3rd world country. If anything, they put me off donating!

A campaign to raise awareness should be one that
a) raises awareness
b) makes people feel good about the cause and want to help
c) makes people want to donate

Permabanned
I'm sure I am - and that's my point, too. Even if the people who are posting the selfies are not donating, it has gotten people talking. People like you and me, who would donate. It's brought it to the front line of discussion again.

I stand by my sentiment that this is no bad thing.

A poor/stupid idea leading to a good cause is still a good cause. All's well that ends well.

I'm a smoker, heavy drinker and in a family with an inordinately high incidence of terminal cancers. I think it's fair to say that this Facebook 'campaign' has had no impact on my donations to cancer research, nor on where it is in my mind. In fact, just the week before last we had the funeral for an uncle who died of cancer, meaning his mother now outlives him.

So, whilst it may bring up a discussion for some people, I'd wager that most people have been directly or indirectly by the disease in recent years. This thread serves better as a social commentary about the crap content of social networking sites.

Soldato
A campaign to raise awareness should be one that
a) raises awareness

Riiiiiight. So, any ideas?

People who have stopped donating because they're moody about this cause or campaign are to blame, not the people trying to bring it to the forefront of peoples minds. Genuine intentions or not.

Soldato

Why not get everyone to post a picture of their donation to a cancer charity instead of this BS? I've seen lots on Facebook not even mention cancer in their statuses...

**** poor excuse for an equally **** poor fad!

Just donate... I talk to primary school kids and even they know what cancer is!

I'm also sick of seeing moose all over my FB page!

Last edited:
Soldato
Riiiiiight. So, any ideas?

People who have stopped donating because they're moody about this cause or campaign are to blame, not the people trying to bring it to the forefront of peoples minds. Genuine intentions or not.

The points go hand in hand. Its all well and good quoting me out of context but that doesn't change the point I was making.

An idea? How about make a donation to a worthy cause and stick a screenshot/photo of that up and encourage others to do the same?

Do some worthwhile charity work and stick a photo of you doing that up and encourage others to do the same?

That ticks all three boxes.

Soldato

I've seen a few people posting donation links along with their pic on facebook, the majority aren't though.

Soldato
The points go hand in hand. Its all well and good quoting me out of context but that doesn't change the point I was making.

An idea? How about make a donation to a worthy cause and stick a screenshot/photo of that up and encourage others to do the same?

Do some worthwhile charity work and stick a photo of you doing that up and encourage others to do the same?

That ticks all three boxes.

I agree with the above... Doing a "selfie" is pointless... Especially when all the comments are "you look lush bunny" and "omg you're so brave" and not linked to cancer at all...

Now if you shaved your head a la jessie J.... Thats okay... That shows the effects cancer can have on physical appearance

Soldato
Condolences for your loss Theophany.

If your donations haven't changed because of the campaign, and assuming you donate anyway, surely the point of the campaign is wasted on the likes of you? This makes sense of course. But, how can a campaign be built specifically to single out the people who currently do not make contributions? It simply can't. People will get annoyed, including and especially those who already contribute to the research, but if there's a chance that people who wouldn't typically donate, do donate something, then that's a good thing.

Those are good ideas Six, ideas that I agree with. If you can get that campaign off the ground I would support it. It still doesn’t necessarily mean the current campaign is wasted or negative in contribution value.

Soldato
Now if you shaved your head a la jessie J.... Thats okay... That shows the effects cancer can have on physical appearance

How is that any better/worse than the selfies?

Also, how do the selfies differentiate themselves from Movember? The only noticeable difference is Movember is seen as a cool thing to be a part of, and that's why it took off (again, though, I'm not bothered about what it is, as long as the end results are positive).

Back
Top Bottom