Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin+ other fights 16/9 **Super fight**/Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Let's not forget one judge had Canelo beating Mayweather... that was far worse than this.

I watched it with a few others who were split in terms of who they wanted to win prior to the fight. As the rounds went on, and we were predicting who was winning, the only thing we were certain about was that it was close. Canelo definitely landed the more eye catching shots, was sharper and much quicker but seemed to rest more in the middle rounds while back peddling and not doing enough to seal rounds. Ggg was for the most part the aggressor, rarely took a backwards step, didn't looks as slick as Canelo but was prepared to throw everything he had and not chance losing the rounds due to inactivity.

It was a great fight, both guys were landing some serious punches and would just shake it off and carry on. It was a close fight either way imo but that first scorecard didn't surprise me at all infact we were joking about how Oscar would have paid the judges off and would want a rematch.

Soldato
Seriously the fight was very close. The 118 - 110 scorecard was ludicrous but the overall result given was a fair result.

Canelo was so quick, so if you think back to Mayweather fight, how quick must Floyd have been back then as he made Canelo look slow.

Soldato
Mcgregor vs mayweather made a joke of boxing and this fight was meant to end all that and bring boxing back up

If anything the scoring has just knocked boxing even further down

Associate
Great fight really enjoyed that, look forward to the rematch.

I had GGG winning by a round or two, I dont think a draw is that bad a result tbh, the close rounds were always gonna go to Canelo but that scorecard of 118-110 is an absolute joke.

Soldato
OP
Let's not forget one judge had Canelo beating Mayweather... that was far worse than

I'm not sure it was because this fight was about 4 belts and the decision has spoiled a great match. The Mayweather fight didn't really matter as it wasn't a great match and the outcome was correct.

Hell of a fight, Golovkin gets another win and Canelo put in a good performance but maybe not ready for 160 just yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think either one of them won it outright, it was a close fight so I'm not too disappointed in the result because it means we get to see them go at it again. If I had to give it to either one of them it would be Golovkin but the gap between them has clearly shrunk, 2 years ago Canelo was getting steamrolled.

The scorecard in question just leaves a sour taste in the mouth after what was a great all out war. Canelo held his own but didn't do enough to beat GGG imo, lets see it again. We'll never get rid of corruption in boxing and dodgy scorecards, at least this particular one didn't affect the overall result whereby the wrong person won!

I can't think of any other middleweight who would have taken the shots those 2 did last night. Let's get it on again for next year!

Caporegime
Watching some of GGG's old fights he fought exactly the same way against Canelo as he did against his previous opponents. He may have lost a bit of pace but the key for Canelo was his defence. He kept rolling the punches and side stepping the bombs. He did get caught flush with one hook but he manage to avoid the accumulation of shots so many of GGG's opponents have suffered and gone down from.

If they fought again I don't see what Canelo could do differently though. He gave GGG the very best he had and he took it all and kept plodding forward. After watching the replay GGG will work out how Canelo was able to avoid his best punches and I can't see him getting away from them so easily in a second fight.

I'd favour GGG for the KO more than I did in this fight tbh and I'd also expect Canelo to work far harder. The booing and criticism Canelo has faced post fight will no doubt make it far more open as he'll be eager to make amends :cool:

Soldato
OP
Looks like the best thing to come out of this is a possible rematch, although I get rhw feeling Canelo is happy with the draw so we will have to wait and see.

Associate
Superb fight, I thought GGG did enough to knick it but with it being in the states and going to the scorecards there was always a chance of a bit of controversial decision.

Watched it back this morning on mute and it seemed closer than I initially thought so I think the draw is fair. Obviously the Adelaide Byrd score was ridiculous but what can you do? We should get another fight out of it which is great!

Back
Top Bottom