Cannot get Windows Install to boot in UEFI mode

Perhaps you tried already, but have you got a spare machine to check if that USB boots correctly in another device?

My immediate thinking is about the media tool screwing up the USB and the win install.

From what you described, the system can detect the USB drive and starts to boot but displayed blue screen? I thought first screen to see when trying win install what the spinning dots loading screen?

Perhaps you tried already, but have you got a spare machine to check if that USB boots correctly in another device?

My immediate thinking is about the media tool screwing up the USB and the win install.

From what you described, the system can detect the USB drive and starts to boot but displayed blue screen? I thought first screen to see when trying win install what the spinning dots loading screen?
I do have another machine, however the hardware is quite old and unlikely to support UEFI.

What I can say is that this USB is good as Mint is running on the USB as I type right now. I've also tried multiple USB Sticks, a brand new one is in the mail to me also, and I have tried Rufus as well as the Windows Media Creation Tool.

Just checking, you downloaded a 64-bit ISO?

Seems like a WinPE (Windows setup) driver issue.

Do you have another computer you can pop the nvme into and start the install. At the first restart in Windows setup, shutdown the computer, remove the nvme and install in your dodgy computer. Windows will now boot in to the full OS skipping WinPE.

You are right - having been through it 6 times just now the very first thing to show up is the windows logo. Interestingly there is no progress wheel below it, like there is when running the install media using legacy mode.

After this there is a blue background, the same one you'd expect to show up with the overlay to select language options - however no language options pop up.

Do things look normal when in bios? Like temps, voltages? Maybe something isn't seated quite right?
Have you actually upgraded anything or is it just a fresh install to new drive?
Yes, machine running like a dream. I wanted a clean install to contrast my current setup against a minor chip upgrade I am planning to do, but have not yet done to a 5600 (which is looking sad in the box on my desk right now).

Just checking, you downloaded a 64-bit ISO?

Seems like a WinPE (Windows setup) driver issue.

Do you have another computer you can pop the nvme into and start the install. At the first restart in Windows setup, shutdown the computer, remove the nvme and install in your dodgy computer. Windows will now boot in to the full OS skipping WinPE.

I have downloaded the 64-bit ISO for Rufus, and asked the Media Creation Tool to create a USB to install 64-bit windows, yes.

This is a very cool idea - thank you. At the precise moment I don't have another computer handy, but I will keep this in mind depending how desperate I get.

Okay - thank you @Orcvader, @VaderDSL, @qbazdz, @Mujja and @bledd - I really am grateful for your continued help.

I'll still try troubleshooting this and will keep trying suggestions posted here, but I'm going to refocus on getting up and running using legacy mode as @teenwolf suggested some time ago now.

I'm particularly grateful for updated 1080ti firmware @Orcvader as this has solved another issue I had with my ultrawide not handshaking nicely with my gfx card that seems to have gone away. Thank you!

Try step 5 to change OS type to Windows UEFI Mode that will boot and install Windows on UEFI Mode.

Thank you - I have tried this and get the same result.

I've then gone back and changed this back to 'Other OS' as it was before (and as the guide asks me to set it).

Last edited:
Never heard of the issue you described, so it boots the bootloader but then eventually shows a blank blue screen, ideally would like to see a video of whats happening, so can see time scales.

Disabling CSM would more likely make it worse not better.

GPU I think is most likely culprit, if your CPU has one, can you try on integrated GPU?

Never heard of the issue you described, so it boots the bootloader but then eventually shows a blank blue screen, ideally would like to see a video of whats happening, so can see time scales.

Disabling CSM would more likely make it worse not better.

GPU I think is most likely culprit, if your CPU has one, can you try on integrated GPU?

Hi chrcoluk, let me see if I can get a video up to YouTube later today.

Neither of the CPUs I have on hand have an integrated GPU

Going on what's been tried so far I'd say it's some sort of compatibility issue with the USB stick you're using or possibly the drive you're trying to install it to.

Have you tried hitting Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt? If you can get that then at least you can look at the log files in X:\Windows\panther\ (type notepad into the command prompt).

Going on what's been tried so far I'd say it's some sort of compatibility issue with the USB stick you're using or possibly the drive you're trying to install it to.

Have you tried hitting Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt? If you can get that then at least you can look at the log files in X:\Windows\panther\ (type notepad into the command prompt).

I will test this and report back.

New USB key is due to arrive today, so can test that at the same time.

Yeah I agree with you guys it could be USB, one of the reasons I want to see the video, as it might give an indicator if its carrying on the boot process or not.

If you still have same issue with new USB stick.

I watched youtube video of your motherboard UEFI settings.

Try to copy similar CSM settings below.

Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot from Storage Devices: UEFI Only
Boot from PCI-E Expansion Devices: UEFI Only

If above not worked then try settings below:

Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot from Storage Devices: UEFI Only
Boot from PCI-E Expansion Devices: Legacy Only

Back
Top Bottom