Cannot install dot net framework

Man of Honour
Someone at work will probably be able to fix this but I won't see him till Tuesday. If you're still having the issue then let me know and I'll ask him.

Permabanned
OP
Okay will do.

I also tried installing it in safe mode (predictably it doesn't like that) and with the 'administrator' account (rather than my regular account which is 'an' administrator account rather than 'the' one) in case my existing account had any issues. Also no go.

Man of Honour
Is it possible that a service that used .net is running hence stopping any program change?

Run services.msc then sort by startup type and hunt through the automatic ones... there may be one that is running that is preventing the install/removal process.

Permabanned
OP
I don't think so because the uninstall tool does successfully (it thinks) remove all traces of 3.0 and 3.5. It stops services itself as part of the process.

I have checked the services and there is nothing there which is different to the past when it used to work.

I wish I understood why it is beyond the wit of MS to make a foolproof installer for the .net framework. People have had problems with it for YEARS and the problems have never been fixed!

Permabanned
OP
Very interesting link, thanks - so they reckon I need to install all the previous versions of .NET in sequence, not just jump straight to 3.0 or 3.5! Okay what the hell, I'll give it a try :eek:

Permabanned
OP
Aaargh how infuriating.

The cleanup tool reckons it has removed all traces.

Windows installer cleanup tool doesn't list any versions of .NET

Add/remove programs still contains an entry for .NET 3.5 SP1 which when you try to uninstall it, it says you aren't allowed to.

Anyway so I tried running the redist installer for .NET 1.0 as suggested on that page.

Result...

2vjd0lh.png

Bah.

Gonna try the other versions next.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah I have done those things already :) It is so weird and seemingly illogical how it doesn't work.

I think with the time I've spent trawling google and trying different things, I could have reinstalled Windows and reconfigured it and all my software by now ;)

Man of Honour
Yeah I have done those things already :) It is so weird and seemingly illogical how it doesn't work.

I think with the time I've spent trawling google and trying different things, I could have reinstalled Windows and reconfigured it and all my software by now ;)

Ah, but then you'd be defeated. If you're anything like me then you'll keep at it till it either completely drives you up the wall or till you find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom