Can't browse websites

Huw

Huw

Associate
I'm trying to help my neighbour with her connection issues. She can ping websites, get updates to Avast, etc. But no web pages will display at all - IE and Chrome both say that the server is unreachable.

I think the biggest clue is that the Windows 7 network map is showing her PC as being behind a virtual switch, followed by the actual router. (Blue means virtual, right?) No such switch exists.

The other big clue is that she got rid of Norton a few days ago and installed Avast. I tried using the Norton removal tool but it didn't work. Wrong version perhaps? She did say the PC came with Norton installed but she bought and installed a different version.

This occurs whether she connects wirelessly or via ethernet, and her laptop (wireless) is unaffected.

Any other info I can provide? Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Defo sounds like Norton left a layer of network on the OS which is now broke as it's no longer running.

Any rogue adapters lingering?

Check binding order - Go to Network Adapters > Hit Alt+N > Advanced Settings from the Menu

Any adapters higher than the real one?

How are her adapters configured? DHCP, Static? Have you tried manual static entries?

Proxy entry is potentially a good shout also.

Last edited:

Huw

Huw

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies so far!
How are her adapters configured? DHCP, Static? Have you tried manual static entries?

I'll take a look when I go back tonight, but almost certainly DHCP. Surely it shouldn't make a difference if everything was working correctly? I have to add that while I can solve most of Average Joe's problems, but networking is not my forte!

I can't even access the router from the PC because it's a web interface! That reminds me, I ought to check the hosts file. You never know.

Proxy entry is potentially a good shout also.

How would I check for this?

Huw

Huw

Associate
OP
OK thanks. I'm going over again in a minute. If I still can't solve it I'm not really sure what to do other than install the bloody thing again. At least that way she'll be able to use the computer for the sole reason she has it (Facebook)...

Huw

Huw

Associate
OP
Well I just spent the last hour or so trying all sorts of things suggested here and elsewhere. You'll never guess what eventually worked. I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I have absolutely no idea why that would work when all else failed, but there you go. I also fixed a few other issues and stuff, so she's happy. I think I'll be OK to borrow a cup of sugar if I need it. :)

Thanks again for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom