1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can’t detect second m2 drive.

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by rip-the-jacker, Aug 30, 2018.

1. rip-the-jacker

Wise Guy

hey guys,

I decided to bite the bullet and build a total new system, all is well apart from one thing..

I have a 240gb m2 ssd which is recognised and windows installed on, but, my second m2 500gb drive I cannot get registering on Windows at all.

I have checked the bios and latest update, Windows management but to no avail.

My board is the b450-f gaming from ASUs.

Any help ASAP greatly appreciated guys, thanks.

2. rip-the-jacker

Wise Guy

I tried an SSD from my old build, and also a adapter for the m.2 that connects via the motherboard slot. And still not being detected, so it cannot be faulty if both are not being recognized?

3. rip-the-jacker

Wise Guy

Could it be the motherboard?

Going to phone ocuk tomorrow and see what’s what.

4. Mujja

Mobster

What CPU and do you have anything plugged in to SATA 5 & 6?

The specs are a little confusing but seems like if an APU is used M.2_2 could be disabled.

5. HoneyBadger

Wise Guy

As above, a lot of motherboards share lanes with SATA3 sockets.

Are you using SATA m.2 or PCIE?

6. rip-the-jacker

Wise Guy

It’s a 2700x.

I tried a SATA and also an adaptor using a PCIe for the m2, still not working :confused:

7. rip-the-jacker

Wise Guy

Changed the motherboard and still had an issue, im sticking with standard 2.5" SSD's for now. Returning the m2.

8. Mujja

Mobster

Maybe the 512GB M.2 is faulty. If the board can see your 240GB M.2 then it's not a problem with the board of slots.

9. Jamin280672

Hitman

This confuses the hell out of me, I prefer it when people call them either M.2 SSD or M.2 nvme, instead they call them M.2 SSD or M.2 PCI-e SSD, so here goes, I have a Gigabyte Aurous X470 Gaming 7 motherboard, that will not run an M.2 SSD in the 2nd slot, only an M.2 nvme drive will work regardless of what is in the first slot, maybe that's what your issue is here with your board.

[​IMG]