• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can't get GPU to work

Associate
I've just built a new rig and while I wait for 3080s to get back in stock I have put in a borrowed 1080 founders edition.

I have a ROG STRIX Z490-F mobo and i9 10900K.

I can't get the 1080 to work. In Windows 10 it says "
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I can't see anything else that it is conflicting with. I have an M.2 in the M.2.1 slot in PCIe mode but this should not affect my card according to the mobo manual. It's only SATA that gets knocked off if I use SATA in the M.2.2 slot.

Tried DDU with drivers ect but no luck. It actually gives me the code 12 error above before I even install the Nvidia drivers.

Any ideas?

Associate
Quick google and hope this helps

The “This device cannot find enough free that it can use (Code 12)” problem is displayed within the device’s properties windows in the Device status box. That error is usually a hardware conflict which arises when two devices are assigned the same I/O port but there are other culprits as well.

https://uninstallguides.freeforums.net/thread/1038/fix-device-find-free-resources

Associate
OP
Quick google and hope this helps

The “This device cannot find enough free that it can use (Code 12)” problem is displayed within the device’s properties windows in the Device status box. That error is usually a hardware conflict which arises when two devices are assigned the same I/O port but there are other culprits as well.

https://uninstallguides.freeforums.net/thread/1038/fix-device-find-free-resources

Thanks I did find that page but that video isn't the best thing to follow. I don't know why they just didn't speak over it.

Pull the M2 drive out and try an SSD?

It maybe a faulty board, or a damaged pin array under the CPU limiting PCI-E lanes.

I've just pulled my m.2 and installed windows on my SSD. Still the same so it's not the m.2 conflicting. Need to try another card to test I think.

Associate
Thanks I did find that page but that video isn't the best thing to follow. I don't know why they just didn't speak over it.

I've just pulled my m.2 and installed windows on my SSD. Still the same so it's not the m.2 conflicting. Need to try another card to test I think.

Damaged motherboard pins under the CPU? Thermal paste leaked onto them? The CPU controls PCI-E bus.

Associate
OP
Damaged motherboard pins under the CPU? Thermal paste leaked onto them? The CPU controls PCI-E bus.

I actually managed to get the GPU to run and it drove my 3rd monitor and the desktop spread over as it should. I did it by using hardware troubleshooter but when I rebooted I got the same error. I doubt I would have been able to do this if the CPU pins are physically damaged?

Back
Top Bottom