Canyon Ultimate or Rose X-Lite CRS

Soldato
Not sure which to go for out of these two. The ultimate cf slx 8 is currently on sale, yet I'd have to sell the wheels for some 38-50mm clinchers ideally. The xlite can be specced with ritchey 38mm clinchers with 25c conti from factory making the bike a good £500+ cheaper. Both full ultegra. Full aero bikes are out of the question as I intend to do some long distance riding over multiple days all on the one bike. I don't think I could hack the geo. The rose doesn't have that much discount and so I'm tempted to wait till they come with the new ultegra spec, or will this be 2018? The canyon has 350 off and I can't see the new ultegra being worth that much extra from what I've seen. Any other ideas?

Soldato
I think you aren't actually comparing the same level of bike. The Ultimate SLX is a Tour de France pedigree frame and slightly lighter at 780g. The equivalent Rose frame would actually be the X-Lite Team not the CRS. So if you're trying to decide between the Ultimate and CRS for the same price, I'd go for the Canyon.

That said, I own a Rose and can't fault it or the service Rose provided. Canyon, on the other hand, have a pretty **** reputation recently for service. A mate of mine ordered a bike last September and still hadn't received it in June so cancelled his order.:eek:

Soldato
OP
I think you aren't actually comparing the same level of bike. The Ultimate SLX is a Tour de France pedigree frame and slightly lighter at 780g. The equivalent Rose frame would actually be the X-Lite Team not the CRS. So if you're trying to decide between the Ultimate and CRS for the same price, I'd go for the Canyon.

That said, I own a Rose and can't fault it or the service Rose provided. Canyon, on the other hand, have a pretty **** reputation recently for service. A mate of mine ordered a bike last September and still hadn't received it in June so cancelled his order.:eek:

The comparison is as you say, however it's a question as to if to spend more on the canyon. I didn't realise until today that the rose can be chosen with ultegra 8000 for less than 190 more than the 6800 kit so it seems like very good value. Did you go for the matt carbon finish with the ritchey flex post by any chance?

Soldato
I have a Xeon CRS frame from 2012 but have ridden a Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod. I can't say the "Pro Tour tested" Cannondale felt any better. I'd go for what you like the look of and whatever you feel is the best value.

My Rose is naked carbon and I chose 3T kit at the time. It's been changed quite a bit since I bought it though. Obligatory photo...

TgA4Pyul.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looks great with the zipps. What made you choose the xeon over the xlite?

Edit - xeon is sold out bar 51cm.

The xlite crs with ultegra 8000 and fsa metron 40s is around £3030. Same bike with ultegra 6800 and ritchey apex 2 38mm is around £2650. The new ultegra build doesn't look like you can spec the cheaper ritchey wheels with.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rose owner here - CFG-3100di2 - no issues after 2 years of owning - couple of initial problems that they sorted quickly and easily. They even took a wheel back after 14 months and rebuilt if for me free of charge after issues with constantly breaking spokes.

Soldato
To defend Canyon I ordered a bike in February which wasn't showing stock until May and it arrived in March :) correct bike, size, colour & all components ;) :o

Soldato
OP
This is terrible, the more time I spend debating the choice, the more I'm tempted to shell out for di2. The perfect indexing, minimal maintenance, better front mech change, auto trim and holding the lever for rear changes has me tempted.

Soldato
OP
I'm between 184-186 (depends when taken) and regardless of other measurements within reason, the calculator points to large frame size. I understand this is a 58 which is the same as what I ride now. Think medium may be a little cramped looking at tt length?

Back
Top Bottom