Car accident - trying to work out my rights

Soldato
Having reflected on the incident, you were in the wrong lane, attempted to undertake me and in doing so struck my vehicle - I do not accept that the collision was my fault.

Please tell how you would like to proceed. If i do not hear from you within 7 days, i will be be instructing my insurance company to process a claim against you.

Also, "both on my wing panel and on my door panel where you came across me." - snigger.
Lol

Soldato
They'll likely try it on with the risk OP ends up out of pocket without experience of these situations - much better IMO just to go through insurance.

I get that, but i would be hoping the other party replies with, "**** it, you pay for your damage and i'll pay for mine". If not, follow up on the threat and go through the insurance. I would send one email/text and not get involved in a 2 way drawn out convo.

I had this a few years ago, some idiot hit my wifes car and was adamant she was at fault, i visited the guy and asked him to pay for the damage and i wouldn't raise a claim - he went on the defensive immediately. Ended up in a claim and not only was he at fault, the wife got a bucket of compo.

Man of Honour
Forget the back and forth, tell them it's been handed over to your insurance and any further communication can go through them.

If you've been driving that long and never had an accident it will make near no difference to your premiums. I added an accident and 6 points to mine this year and my premium still went down.

Associate
I agree with those comments that recommend only communicating through the insurance company in the future. I went through a similar situation, and my experience has shown me that you should not waste your energy and time arguing with each other, especially if your fault was never the cause of the accident. Such cases are handled only by the insurance company. Even if you have second driver insurance you should still only listen to official resources.

Last edited:
Caporegime
+1 for hand it to the insurance company. Refuse any further direct communication and let insurance handle it. 50:50 is most likely, but even if not the impact to your premiums is not likely to be particularly large.

Man of Honour
As above, hand to insurance company. Don't deal directly with the other party in case you say the wrong thing and inadvertantly admit fault. Advise the other party you will be going through insurance.

Man of Honour
I agree with those comments that recommend communicating in the future only through the insurance company. I have been through a similar situation, and my experience has shown that you should not waste your energy and time arguing with each other, especially if you have never had an accident before due to your fault. These cases are handled only by the insurance company.
I'd hope after a year the OP has already decided what to do.

Back
Top Bottom