Car Bump - Whats the Deal

Soldato
Suppose it depends on if you let your own insurance company deal with it. I just spoke to the third party claim people at the accident initiator’s insurance company and they dealt directly with me. I wouldn’t claim from the person who hit me because in my mind it wasn’t their fault they got driven in to.

Caporegime
I have protected no claims etc - but if this does go through insurance it is still going to affect me isn't it? I still have to tick the "ive had an accident in last 5 years box" at next renewal?

Just seems to suck that no matter the case I am going to pay more in future :(

Will see if she agrees to not go through insurance - but I am not holding my breath.

you're supposed to tick that box regardless... from your perspective it doesn't make any difference whether she pays or her insurance company pays the accident still happened

I wouldn't faff around anyway, it isn't your fault - get a quote and have her transfer cash ASAP or go via insurance... is she going to cover a courtesy car too if yours needs to be kept in for work etc..?

I'd hope you took pictures at the scene, reported it to the police etc.. too.

Associate
OP
so..Update!

Car in middle (Guy) messaged the group and said he was going through insurance as the front and back of his car was "considerably damaged when he looked at it" and asking if someone "slammed on" in front of me as I came to an abrupt stop.. I reminded him I wasn't moving/was actually sat with handbrake on...

Car at the back (girl) messaged me separate from the group and said she didnt see how his car could be so damaged etc but her sister had reminded her she had a dash-cam so she was going to check that - but asked me to send her the quote for repair

After reading here and thinking about it - I decided I wasn't interested in cash deal as a) I would have to tick that box anyway b) thinking about bump it actually felt pretty hard and I wasnt confident bumper was showing what was underneath etc - but before I could message back she had sent me a copy of the video and it shows him (clearly on his phone as you can see the screen/light) slam into the back of me...then she realises he has "stopped" and she slams into him - pushing him further into me (oh er mrs)

So she said that she wasn't going to offer to pay anymore as technically he hit me and she didnt etc - Views on this can be debated all day (as I found out in my work with all the debates going on)

In any-case - guy in middle must have contacted insurance company as I got a call from car at the backs insurance company saying they were accepting full responsibility and they want to get me a courtesy car out/ask where I want my car to go to.

So its going into local BMW dealer on Monday (likely going to be sat there till after chrimbo) and they are dropping my courtesy car off at dealers - some "Drive assist" company contacted me and gave me choice of RR Evouque, RR Discovery or a X6. Went with Discovery - never driven one before.

Will let you guys know what damage ends up being when I get report from dealers.

One interesting thing was they offered me £1000 one of payment to cover/negate any future whiplash claims - I hadn't even mentioned it/I am fine - Said no - I am fine - She then said ok how about £1200 - again I said I am fine - She said she would come back to me Monday.... Pals have said I should accept it to negate any future impact on my policy etc but feels wrong....

Associate
Yeah a friend of mine was offered something similar when I car hit him from behind. Him and his passenger offered money if they signed to say they wouldn't take a whiplash claim. Neither of them even mentioned it but when offered they decided to accept. They got over 1k each

Am assuming its cheaper for the insurance company to do it this way rather than people claiming through the courts

Associate
if there willing to throw money at you to avoid a lengthy court case with a potential of £1000's more in the long run then take it. Why would it "feel wrong" its not like you have made a false claim. You have already mentioned your worried about the "impact" on you future insurance premiums so this will easily negate any effects. Push them as much as possible get urself a nice holiday out of it.

Associate
OP
Afraid not - she sent me a link to the camera cloud storage location - its no longer on there.

In any case her insurance phoned today - Their assessor is coming to view car this week then its approved to go to a BMW dealer of my choice for assessment/repairs with bill going direct to her insurance company.
Enterprise already called me to arrange RR Discovery drop off/meet at BMW dealers.

So as much as I still wouldn't want it to happen - much smoother than the last accident I had/someone ran into me (about 9 years ago) where I had to fight to use my garage rather than the insurance one etc.

Can you post the video for Motors folk to view?

Man of Honour
Yeah a friend of mine was offered something similar when I car hit him from behind. Him and his passenger offered money if they signed to say they wouldn't take a whiplash claim. Neither of them even mentioned it but when offered they decided to accept. They got over 1k each

Couple of people I used to work with were driving about out on lunch break and had someone go into the back of them - despite being relatively minor the insurance company straight up offered them £800 each to waive any future whiplash claims, etc. which they took.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I hate people making false whiplash claims. But in this case you were offered it even though you said you wouldn't be claiming. So I'd have probably taken it.

But...the cheek of the middle guy suggesting you slammed on hard (which isn't an excuse anyway).

Soldato
In any-case - guy in middle must have contacted insurance company as I got a call from car at the backs insurance company saying they were accepting full responsibility and they want to get me a courtesy car out/ask where I want my car to go to.

Eh? So she's accepting full responsibility for both cars when it wasn't all her fault?

She's responsible for the damage to the guy in the middle as, regardless of how abruptly he stopped, she should have left enough space.

Your damage is the responsibility of the guy in the middle though as he was clearly at fault there. That she then rammed him likely did little additional damage.

If she wants to accept all the blame then I guess that's her prerogative but shouldn't the dashcam footage be passed to the police? If the guy in the middle clearly ran into you as a result of being on his phone this needs reporting.

Back
Top Bottom