car mileage fondling

Associate
Hi Guys,

My girlfriend traded her car in last week for an slk250. Everything seemed ok, so she bought it.

First thing, a few days ago, the roof got stuck and wouldn't close. She spoke to the dealer and he said its because its cold and to wait for the weather to warm up (lol) I wasn't happy with that answer. Could this ne handed back based on not for for purpose?

Today, we've found out, through her friend who decided to check, the car was MOTd on the 12th Dec 22 with a recorded 41,430 miles but it says difference -22,203 as the MOT on the 26 Jan 22 shows 63,633 miles

What gives? is this the previous dealer? This dealer?

Either way the gf isn't pleased and wants rid, everything just seems off now to her.

Where does she stand?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Might get someone on here to look at it for free but worth checking on something like car vertical when it comes to the mileage - sometimes just an entry error by the garage, etc. (if you look around various sponsored people i.e. on YouTube have discounts on CV).

Worth looking through the recent threads such as https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/car-purchase-gone-wrong.18963957/ for advice on rejecting it, etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Going with the wild assumption they meant to type something like 36,933 and fumbled it.

EDIT: Though 39,633 would match the rest of the likely use more.

Km mistake?

Would fit the likely mileage though a bit of a strange mistake to make at face value.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going with the wild assumption they meant to type something like 36,933 and fumbled it.

EDIT: Though 39,633 would match the rest of the likely use more.

This seems most likely to me

It's been showing a few thousand miles per year usage for ages and this would put it right in the middle of the two records either side.

Oct 18 - 31000 (when the last owner bought it)
Jan 2020 - 33861
Jan 2021 - 36761
Jan 2022 - 63633 (or something like 39633 as suggested)
Dec 2022 - 41430

Associate
25th Jan it failed an MOT (63633 miles, +26872 miles from previous test) - broken coil springs. Retested the next day, passed. Same mileage recorded on both tests. I guess it could have been copied wrongly from one test to the next?

Associate
Judging by the consistency in the MOT history, I'd say that mileage input is an error

Screenshot-20230124-202241.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't think that's anything to worry about, seemingly quite common to have incorrect odo readings on MOTs. What this is though, is a lesson in checking through MOT history before buying a car. It's a bit of a godsend to be honest, I wouldn't buy a car without checking it out as it's very indicative of the sort of life a car has had and takes about 10 seconds.

Soldato
I don't think that's anything to worry about, seemingly quite common to have incorrect odo readings on MOTs. What this is though, is a lesson in checking through MOT history before buying a car. It's a bit of a godsend to be honest, I wouldn't buy a car without checking it out as it's very indicative of the sort of life a car has had and takes about 10 seconds.

And is free.

Man of Honour
I've rarely if ever seen a folding roof which actually works reliably personally, especially on a few years old car.

(Most of the people I watch on YT who get lots from BCA to do up and sell on hate them if they are in the lot).

Last edited:
Permabanned
The wife's got a diesel SLK, she has never opened the roof since she bought it, probably two years or more ago, but recently said she was going to put the top down on the next fine day as it was otherwise a waste having a convertible.

I made it ABUNDANTLY clear when it got stuck, or if by some miracle it shut again, and then leaked like a sieve, it would be NO use coming bleating to me. I have fixed these folding hard tops before, and know what a nightmare they can be, but at least i was getting well paid for the headache...

Doubt it's been clocked, probably some mistake or typo.

Associate
unlikely to have been clocked, what does the dealer who sold it say?.
cant imagine any one in there right mind putting the mileage lower that the previous mot especially just outside of covid?
fairly easy to check with diagnostics just check the key unit /abs/gearbox hell even the aircon ecu just to name a few that store the mileage .
yes had a job checking these in a previous life:)

Last edited:
Soldato
First thing, a few days ago, the roof got stuck and wouldn't close. She spoke to the dealer and he said its because its cold and to wait for the weather to warm up (lol) I wasn't happy with that answer. Could this ne handed back based on not for for purpose?
(like Chris said) need to have some mechanical sympathy, if temperatures have been down at zero with potential frosting, expecting roof on to close reliably on a 2016 car sounds optimistic,
did it close later, after warming from sun.

problem not be dissimilar to those with stuck frameless electric windows in the frost , they need some gummifledge/lube maintenance on the rubber parts.

Back
Top Bottom