Car scratches, where do you stand?

Soldato
Just given the C63 a good wash and noticed a few fine scratches on the bonnet/wing. Very annoyed although they are still very hard to see esp on a cloudy day like today. They're at a strange place and looks like someone has been leaning against the passenger wing with jeans on as they look verticle. Can't see how else they would've occured. Mind you the Gyeon ceramic coating looks like it's holding up pretty well after two years generally.

Soldato
Fine scratches not bothered its part of the ageing process of a car park in a supermarket/layby its going to happen no insurance company is going to give you the time of day over that. Getting keyed or dents thats more serious

Associate
I'm probably the least confrontational person in the world but I can tell you that my response to being told to line my car up against the dents on someone else's would have been short and ended with "off" so I don't think your suggestion would really apply in the real world.

I'm honestly thinking I've been doing it wrong all these years now by trying to park out of the way. New strategy is find any space where the cars either side haven't parked right up to the line and just park in it. All of the 'find an end space then park right up to the line' stuff I've been doing for the past 20 years just seems to give the car in the next space room to swing the door into yours with more oomph. That or attract someone who drives a ginormous tank and can't park for love nor money.

I do wonder if modern paints are making the problem worse. My metallic blue Leon will get a fine scratch in the paint if you look at it whereas the flat red Passat I had previously never really had much shine to the paint but neither did it really show any damage either.
When looking up about the paintwork on our Skoda, I learnt that some of the VAG cars tend to use worse paints these days which is more prone to chipping. Skoda and SEAT being two of the "cheaper" ranges, it would make sense that they get more damage than your Passat?

Soldato
OP
Mate in Australia pranged his Toyota Camry into the steel gates outside his property the other day...

TDeBFI1.jpg

He won't be able to polish that out.

Soldato
Just given the C63 a good wash and noticed a few fine scratches on the bonnet/wing. Very annoyed although they are still very hard to see esp on a cloudy day like today. They're at a strange place and looks like someone has been leaning against the passenger wing with jeans on as they look verticle. Can't see how else they would've occured. Mind you the Gyeon ceramic coating looks like it's holding up pretty well after two years generally.

yea very annoying but thy don't show too much in silver, but stone chips do so i'm getting the front bumper resprayed Monday

Soldato
I was quite annoyed when I came back to my car to see a scratch down the rear passenger door and front handle after going to the supermarket.
Looking to trade it in or sell when we want something bigger in the near future, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of repairing (17 plate Citigo), I think it would make it easier to sell at least.

Back
Top Bottom