Car servicing

Soldato
So it's been over a year and I haven't serviced my car, I'm only driving local no long distance. I want to get it done locally and instead of using random garages, I found Halfords and KwikFit. It seems Halfords has major service option which is £275 opposed to full service which KwikFit does for £250. Would they inform me if some additional works are required? Does anyone have experience with either of them?

Are there other companies that I should maybe try? I only recently started driving so don't really know much.

Soldato
Are there other companies that I should maybe try? I only recently started driving so don't really know much.

Have you considered getting your hands dirty? the best way to learn anything is to do it. A basic service is really not that complex either, an oil change whilst a bit messy for example can be done in half an hour on every car i've ever had.

Man of Honour
Get a quote from the dealer - you might be surprised - I wouldn't personally be in a hurry to get a service at either.

TBH as above a lot of stuff on a service is "inspect" and the only thing which might be a little awkward if you aren't setup for it is oil changes - stuff like the air filters, checking battery status, etc. is easy.

Soldato
Have you considered getting your hands dirty? the best way to learn anything is to do it. A basic service is really not that complex either, an oil change whilst a bit messy for example can be done in half an hour on every car i've ever had.

I guess the only thing that might put me off is dependent on if you had a safe space to do it, I personally would probably not on the side of the street next to moving traffic.

But yes if you have a driveway or similar very easy, and you'll save a fortune over the years.

Soldato
Days are gone of servicing your own car - i used to drop the oil, air filter etc, but on modern cars, too much electronic connections!

Personally i would avoid Kiwkfit/Halfords and as mentioned above, ask your local dealer for a service quote/plan - may not be as bad as you think. Also, look for a local garage through word of mouth, or if you cam't do that, take your chance with them. If you're not happy, try a different one next time.

Associate
If you have a local facebook group where you live see what people in there recommend, then check reviews online thoroughly to make sure you're happy.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's so bad about KwikFit and Halfords?

They are awful.

Kwik fit youl come with odd sized tyres, diesel in a petrol, and probably no oil in the engine.

Halfords will tell you that your car is basically a write off and present you with an invoice for "essential" repairs for north of a grand.

And if you are silly enough to go with it, see Kwik Fit.

Soldato
Days are gone of servicing your own car - i used to drop the oil, air filter etc, but on modern cars, too much electronic connections!

Pretty much this. Unless you've got an older car that you plan to run into the ground, where you don't care about a stamp in the service book, and resetting the service interval is easy to do. Anyone with a newish car isn't really going to want to fork out for an expensive reader to reset the display, or want a stampless (even worse for digital) service book that would devalue the car.

Soldato
Pretty much this. Unless you've got an older car that you plan to run into the ground, where you don't care about a stamp in the service book, and resetting the service interval is easy to do. Anyone with a newish car isn't really going to want to fork out for an expensive reader to reset the display, or want a stampless (even worse for digital) service book that would devalue the car.

Yea it depends.

I don't think mine has a digital service book but you do need to reset the light, I have a diagnostic but to be fair there is a "hack" using a certain combination of button pressed. I just write in the service book myself.

I appreciate this may devalue the car but I just keep cars until they are terminal, last car I had well over 10 years that I bought from auction.

The money saved over the years FAR outweighed any loss in value at the end.

Obviously if you buy expensive new cars this doesn't work out the same.

Associate
It's easy to generalise about how awful Kwik Fit and Halfords are but I've used the same Kwik Fit garage for MOT and servicing for the last 10 years. I've always found it to be very honest about repairs. Both of our cars have sailed through MOTs numerous times with perhaps the odd advisory. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

Underboss
few things

check your service schedule
check your service book
Is it a new car ?

if you look at your schedule it will tell you want needs done every year, and every 2 years etc

go by the years, ignore the mileage as your not reaching that first

Soldato
My local Kwik Fit is absolutely fine, happy to use them. They've never said I needed any repairs or anything.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's easy to generalise about how awful Kwik Fit and Halfords are but I've used the same Kwik Fit garage for MOT and servicing for the last 10 years. I've always found it to be very honest about repairs. Both of our cars have sailed through MOTs numerous times with perhaps the odd advisory. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.
It’s the quality of mechanics they attract it’ll mostly be the lowest of the low, not always though. It’s like anything though if you have had no reason to fault them then no reason to look elsewhere.

Soldato
It’s the quality of mechanics they attract it’ll mostly be the lowest of the low, not always though. It’s like anything though if you have had no reason to fault them then no reason to look elsewhere.
That’s why I’m booking my car in with the main dealer, want the best chance of having a good mechanic looking at it rather than some cheaper backstreet garage. I don’t mind paying extra for quality service.

That’s not to say a backstreet garage mechanic wouldn’t be up to the standards of a main dealer mechanic or that a main dealer mechanic would be any better than a backstreet garage mechanic.

But when it comes to my car I want the best odds of getting the correct diagnosis.

Soldato
That’s why I’m booking my car in with the main dealer, want the best chance of having a good mechanic looking at it rather than some cheaper backstreet garage. I don’t mind paying extra for quality service.

That’s not to say a backstreet garage mechanic wouldn’t be up to the standards of a main dealer mechanic or that a main dealer mechanic would be any better than a backstreet garage mechanic.

But when it comes to my car I want the best odds of getting the correct diagnosis.

It’s a difficult one that. I’ve been in the trade for 15 years now. Having known plenty of other people in the trade working at dealers, and having worked on cars that have full dealer history, I can say for sure that you will have a much better chance of having a better service at an independent garage. Main dealers are all about getting the car in and out as quickly as possible. They’re well known for never taking wheels off, not changing cabin filters and generally not giving a very in-depth service.
Most independent garages will do a far better job. But of course this does change from one garage to another. Dealers obviously have better equipment for diagnosis or potential software updates which are quite common these days. So it can be a tough call.

Back
Top Bottom