Car servicing

Soldato
Well I've just had my car serviced at a local Mercedes independent. I took out a three year servicing plan with the main dealer in January 2023 and stupidly paid the £793 upfront. In hindsight I should have paid monthly.

This year they weren't interested in doing the B service it was due, despite a few emails and a phone call to management. They never even had the decency to reply or call me back.

So I booked it in at a good Mercedes independent, these guys were finalists in Aftermarket magazines top garage of 2023 for what its worth. Asked for a B service which includes brake fluid and pollen filter and that is what they have done.

It wasn't cheap but the technician who worked on my car used to run his own garage and has 20 years experience. The main dealer treated me well in the first three years after I bought the car but after that weren't bothered.

I should have cut my losses in 2023 and gone to the independent, you live and learn. No chance getting a partial refund from the main dealer. They were taken over in June 2023 so obviously weren't doing that well.

I feel like I've had a better service at the independent.

You phoned the service department and they refused to book your car in for a service ? or is there more to it ? Sounds crazy to write off a £800 service pack.

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole main dealer/warranty trap is a rip off anyway.

Just buy used cars and service them yourself, the amounts people are spending is obscene.

everyone is different, high earners view money differently

there is a thread on here where someone lost about £20K depreciation in 12 months on a new EV

to them its expected and fine, to me it is total insanity

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole main dealer/warranty trap is a rip off anyway.

Just buy used cars and service them yourself, the amounts people are spending is obscene.
Not everyone has the ability\space or will to service their own vehicles, I used to be a heavy plant fitter many moons ago so have a toolkit the majority DIYers would be jealous of but haven't serviced my own car for probably 15 years as I can't be arsed, I'd rather spend my money on a garage and have my time back to do things I enjoy.

It all depends on how you value your personal time

Soldato
Exactly, I'd be down there blocking the entrance putting off potential customers until they serviced my car, or gave me a refund
I figured if I managed to somehow force them to do it, chances are they wouldn't do a good job. I'd rather have the independent do it, who actually want to do it.

Soldato
What was the reason they gave for not booking it in for the service ?
They haven't given a reason, no replies to emails to management or a call back when I rang them. So I am left guessing as to why they are ignoring me. To be honest it wasn't worth the stress and anxiety and I needed my car serviced.

Soldato
everyone is different, high earners view money differently

there is a thread on here where someone lost about £20K depreciation in 12 months on a new EV

to them its expected and fine, to me it is total insanity

Yup I saw that thread, but resisted posting in there.

Put it this way, I've had 3 cars and 3 motorcycles, over 22 years of motoring, and the purchase costs of all those combined, is less then that guy has lost in depreciation.

Soldato
20K yes they should read the other thread - what with the VAT component and savings from electricity vs petrol it's not so bad.

This thread reminded me of a forgotten criteria for upcoming newer car purchase - should have a conventional sump plug for oil change
(on top of avoiding stop-start battery/ auto-gearbox / electric handbrake ...)

Caporegime
Days are gone of servicing your own car - i used to drop the oil, air filter etc, but on modern cars, too much electronic connections!

Personally i would avoid Kiwkfit/Halfords and as mentioned above, ask your local dealer for a service quote/plan - may not be as bad as you think. Also, look for a local garage through word of mouth, or if you cam't do that, take your chance with them. If you're not happy, try a different one next time.

What electronic connections are there for an oil change/air filter?

Soldato
Dunno, but it was mainly the "etc" bit i was referring to. I just take it to a dealer for the book stamp, warranty and in case i mess something up.

Yup again, another "trap" they get you into these things, 5 ltrs of oil, oil filter, air filter and if you can be arsed pollen filter is about £60-70.

Do that, lithium grease all the door pivots and latches, and that's pretty much it between major services.

Mine has a service light, but there is a "hack" to reset it without any additional equipment, although I do have a read/write diagnostic tool I use now.

Then I just write in the book myself.

I can do mine and the Mrs Fiesta in about an hour give it take.

Associate
The hard part is getting the sodding undertray off as i can't squeeze under it on the flat so it requires me to drive up on the ramps which is always a fiddle when theres no one to guide you on and they only just fit the tyres!

Associate
I figured if I managed to somehow force them to do it, chances are they wouldn't do a good job. I'd rather have the independent do it, who actually want to do it.
I get that, and it would be my main concern, but I would be hounding them for some kind of refund, you can't sell someone a service plan and then refuse to honour that plan (certainly with explaining a very good reason)

Soldato
I serviced my own new used car on Sunday.
Just reset the oil life in the options menu in the car.

It's a 21 plate Focus ST-Line MHEV

Built my own ramps and used oem spec parts.
Spent about £95.00 on parts and about £36.00 for the pressure treated timber (Discounted from work)

Last edited:
Soldato
I serviced my own new used car on Sunday.
Just reset the oil life in the options menu in the car.
When you did your own A service did you...

Renew Engine Oil
Renew Oil Filter
Check Horn Operation
Check Heater Operation
Check Air Conditioning Operation
Check Battery Levels and Condition
Check Drive Belt Condition
Check Hinges and Locks
Check Pollen Filter Function
Check Seat Belt Operation
Check Coolant
Check Screenwash
Check PAS Fluid
Check Brake Fluid
Check Tyre Depths
Check Tyre Pressures
Check Tyre Condition
Check Brake System
Check Brake Pad Wear
Check Brake Disc Wear
Check Brake Lines and Hoses Condition
Check Functionality of Lights
Check Exhaust System - If Applicable
Check Suspension

Last edited:
Soldato
When you did your own A service did you...

Renew Engine Oil
Renew Oil Filter
Check Horn Operation
Check Heater Operation
Check Air Conditioning Operation
Check Battery Levels and Condition
Check Drive Belt Condition
Check Hinges and Locks
Check Pollen Filter Function
Check Seat Belt Operation
Check Coolant
Check Screenwash
Check PAS Fluid
Check Brake Fluid
Check Tyre Depths
Check Tyre Pressures
Check Tyre Condition
Check Brake System
Check Brake Pad Wear
Check Brake Disc Wear
Check Brake Lines and Hoses Condition
Check Functionality of Lights
Check Exhaust System - If Applicable
Check Suspension

LMAO.

Seriously? Test if your horn works? I wonder how much of the overall charge is factored in for that.

To be fair, I could see how testing to see if your horn works could be difficult for some people.

And yes, I do all of that somewhat regularly. Some of it wont apply depending on the age of the car.

Soldato
This is all the bits to service our 2 cars, plus brakes and brake fluid on mine.

+ And air filter I had from last year but that's otherwise £235 for everything.

I won't use all that oil either sine some will be left over, I've probably got enough to do one left over from last year anyway but it doesn't go off

What's your main dealer charge for service in 2 cars, plus front brakes and brake fluid one 1?

£600?

More?

PXL-20240612-121043979.jpg

Back
Top Bottom