Car servicing

Soldato
They do a pretty comprehensive checklist where I usually go of everything done, don't think things like door hinges have ever been on there neither is it something I'd bother with on a service.
The hinges and locks are definitely part of the service schedule, see here...

PQ2K9HK.jpeg

Man of Honour
Thats the difference between a cheap shoddy garage and an expensive one that carries out the work thoroughly as per the A service schedule which I have posted.
Don't confuse paying more and assuming it's done with paying more and it actually being done.

You've got no idea if they did all of that, you've just got to hope you've found a garage that actually does what you pay them to do.

Soldato
You've got no idea if they did all of that, you've just got to hope you've found a garage that actually does what you pay them to do.
I trust the mechanic who runs and owns the garage, more so than the main dealer even. He’s been in business since leaving the main dealer in 1993 and has a good reputation. He’s not cheap either, as far as I can see he’s an honest chap trying to run an honest business. He wouldn’t hire anyone whose not up to snuff.

The technician who worked on my car used to run his own garage and had a good reputation, he’s got 20 years experience so knows a B service like the back of his hand.

Soldato
Yeah so they are - for some reason never noticed it before.
They’ve probably at least checked your hinges and locks, if your service paperwork is anything like mine they just highlight what they’ve done rather than list every little thing. There’s not enough room on the A4 paper to fit it all in.

Soldato
Actually....... Despite everything I've said.

Anyone tried to change a pollen filter on a Volvo S60?

I mean I know it basically won't affect the operation of the car but I decided to do it today for the first time since I owned the car maybe 6 years.

Well **** me...... Getting the old one out was hard enough, bit nothing compared to what was to come, when I saw the old Filter was the original Volvo one eg never been changed, I started cursing the previous owner, but in hind sight I realised they were they were the sensible one.

I managed to do it eventually, never again.

Soldato
Our first Cmax was a bit of a fiddle to do, newer one we had, they'd made it a bit easier.
Octavia now is piece of cake.
Never tried a Volvo, but I feel your pain.

Man of Honour

Watching a video doesn't look that different to any of my vehicles, a bit of a pain but not that bad. One of the things which annoys me with vehicle design, things like this have no excuse being anything other than super easy to do if someone actually designed them properly.

It is one I find quite a few places are dodgy though with the whole replace vs inspect thing on a service and charge people for changing when they've just inspected.

Soldato
It is one I find quite a few places are dodgy though with the whole replace vs inspect thing on a service and charge people for changing when they've just inspected.
For some reason the air filter isn't on the checklist I posted above. At the service I've just had they only inspected the air filter rather than replaced it therefore didn't charge me for a new one.

They did replace the pollen filter though which is supposed to be changed at a B service.

Associate
Actually....... Despite everything I've said.

I mean I know it basically won't affect the operation of the car but I decided to do it today for the first time since I owned the car maybe 6 years.

Well **** me...... Getting the old one out was hard enough, bit nothing compared to what was to come, when I saw the old Filter was the original Volvo one eg never been changed, I started cursing the previous owner, but in hind sight I realised they were they were the sensible one.

I managed to do it eventually, never again.

Am off to youtube to search S60 pollen filter :cry:

Soldato
The tank was on the receipt and listed separately was a cap so I was charged for it.

Inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. But it could have been very awkward. There were suspicious smells from the engine in the last half mile before the petrol station :eek:
What did they say when you told them they hadn’t changed the cap?

Soldato
What did they say when you told them they hadn’t changed the cap?

Didn't say anything, watched the tech poke around and attempt to tighten the cap, then left them to check the rest and sort it.

Wasn't planning on being annoyed unless they came back with a stupid final answer or a new bill for me.

Associate
My bike and car are both flashing annual service lights at me, I'm not doing them though, bike has done about 250 mile since last service in 2023, car's done about 1000 mile since last service in 2023. Probably leave it until 2 years have lapsed then get them done.

Soldato
My bike and car are both flashing annual service lights at me, I'm not doing them though, bike has done about 250 mile since last service in 2023, car's done about 1000 mile since last service in 2023. Probably leave it until 2 years have lapsed then get them done.
I do mine once a year regardless of mileage. You’ll want at least an oil and filter change to get rid of that old oil.

Back
Top Bottom