*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Soldato
What are peoples go to for tyre shine these days? Been using Sonax tyre gel for years but something easier to apply would be welcome.
I use Meg's Endurance Tyre Shine. Lasts 7-10 days in the winter, 2-3 weeks in the summer.

Definitely use a applicator for this stuff though, not a sprayer. You need the control when applying.

Soldato
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Tire Shine. I clean off any overspray immediately and it works well. Doesn't last very long, but don't have anything to compare it to..
Top tip: Do it in the street as it'll leave marks on your driveway for over a year :o

@Sparky @Steedie I bought a Pet Blower for under £70 and it works a treat. A third of the cost of the fancy "detailing" blowers and it's literally the same thing - same power rating, etc. Only downside is it doesn't have wheels and the hose is rather short, but for the price I can't complain.
Will try a few of these and see which I like.
On the air dryers , one downside to mine is it literally is a struggle to hold onto the hose when it is on full pelt. Let go of it and it whips about the drive like a fire hose!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Will try a few of these and see which I like.
On the air dryers , one downside to mine is it literally is a struggle to hold onto the hose when it is on full pelt. Let go of it and it whips about the drive like a fire hose!
Yes, mine too! Thankfully it doesn't move around anywhere near as much with a shorter hose. Totally worth it though, although when you're drying the car with the blower, you get to see all the scratches and imperfections up close :(

V_R

V_R

Soldato
For those that don't go in to the SUYM thread. :)

Had the car in to a detailer that did the full works, wash, decon, stage one machine polish (didn't need more than a single) and new ceramic applied. Car looks factory fresh now, much better in real life.

The coating he used was Apex Nano One, a sister company of Titan Coatings for anyone that is interested.

S4r4556l.jpeg

5t5e7iCl.jpeg

eoePge7l.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Last year, I plashed out on a Metrovac AirDuster for my PC, as I was tired of buying the disposable cans of air. It's incredibly powerful, and I'm thinking about pressing it into service for drying the car. It might not be ideal for such a large surface area, but it would be great to blast the water out of nooks and crannies like side mirrors, doorshuts, etc - all the places you find those annoying rivulets of water appearing from the moment you think you've finished and put the drying towel away.

On the subject of drying, I think I'm going to need to find a water spot remover. I've only ever used filter water for rinsing the car, but still have what appears to be water spots appearing, which I think have come from rainwater. Even after a wash and dry, you can still see them in the right light, which is bugging me.
As I've got their Crystal Serum ceramic coating, I tend to stick to Gtechniq products now and see they do W9, a water spot remover.

Anyone used this with any success, or any other removal products? My biggest concern is that it appears you are meant to spray these products on a dry surface and then wipe them off. I always feel like any procedure like that risks swirl marks, but I've never used such a product before.
Answering my own question, but washed the car today and can confirm... Gtechniq W9 seems to have worked well getting rid of the water spots, and unclogging the ceramic coat. Still a few visible, so I might go over the whole car again at the next wash, but it's got rid of the most obvious ones on the roof, so that's good.

Can also confirm the air duster works pretty well as a dryer. I couldn't be bothered to fish out the wide nozzle which would be better for large body panels, but it's great for cleaning out all the crevices, just like your mum.

Soldato
Not knowing how long the Ceramic coat has left on the Mustang, I think it was applied 18 months ago from the invoices that came with the car, so I just used the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Spray Wax using the 'initial application' method, so post rinse, spray on each panel and towel dry the panel with the spray wax using a microfibre drying towel.. Hopefully this just adds a layer on top to elongate the base ceramic coat.

The only problem is it leaves streaks so I used the damp drying towel to spread the wax and get most of the water off, then a dry drying towel to buff and remove any streaks..

Pre-application it beaded but not that well, and no surprise with a fresh heavy coat of spray wax it's definitely given it a more hydrophobic top coat..
HrC5N7Pl.jpg

I also used the same microfibre towel that was damp and had remnants of the spray wax to just take the majority of the dust under the bonnet, it gives a more natural but clean finish to the plastics.
6eeAsfhl.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
I did the unthinkable and went to a car wash, but it was a 'touchless' wash and I was very impressed for the £25 it cost - the car was absolutely rotten beforehand with a trackday and 500 miles worth of crap on it.

Soldato
I feel like I've seen that place before? Was the owner into his Japanese vehicles, or was there a black Giulia Quadrifoglio around? There's a guy on a Giulia Stelvio group that runs a touchless car wash like that and I genuinely think he waxes the car more than driving it.

Caporegime
I feel like I've seen that place before? Was the owner into his Japanese vehicles, or was there a black Giulia Quadrifoglio around? There's a guy on a Giulia Stelvio group that runs a touchless car wash like that and I genuinely think he waxes the car more than driving it.

Yeah he imports stuff as well, it is a little quiet so I think he gets plenty of time to wax it! Nice guy though.

Caporegime
I like the gyeon ones as they don't soak up a load of product that you just end up having to wash out the sponge part.

Associate
Got my car going for a correction and ceramic coating next week - any recommendations on simple top up products to use at home to keep it working well? Find myself with a real lack of free time most weekends so a quick and easy solution is my preferred, have used stuff like auto glym polar seal before for instance if that's any good?

Caporegime
Got my car going for a correction and ceramic coating next week - any recommendations on simple top up products to use at home to keep it working well? Find myself with a real lack of free time most weekends so a quick and easy solution is my preferred, have used stuff like auto glym polar seal before for instance if that's any good?

Stuff like polar seal will 'clog' up the coating, they'll probably just recommend a PH neutral shampoo and whatever topper is in the range for the coating.

Back
Top Bottom