Carnival Row

Caporegime
What's the general tone/vibe? One of the trailers made me think a kind of fantasy Ripper Street, which I was all for. But then another made me think they were going for a Twilight vibe, with emphasis on the forbidden romance angle. Put me right off.

Fantasy Ripper Street with some social commentary (which seems to annoy some people). And pixie boobs :D

Man of Honour
Yeah it is much more in the vein of Ripper Street with a fantasy setting. Overall I think it is pretty good but doesn't hit the heights it could have done with a bit more time taken on some elements of the story development.

Caporegime
OP
It was pretty good, I don’t think it was as good as ripper street and certainly not a game of thrones rival but it is enjoyable and worth a watch.

Man of Honour
Finished and enjoyed every minute - would have been even happier with 10 episodes

I think they really needed another couple of episodes at least to flesh out some of the story lines that were important but not the main thread. While I could fill in the blanks having a reasonable imagination and having seen a lot of related movies and TV before I think some viewers struggled.

Associate
Finished and enjoyed every minute - would have been even happier with 10 episodes

do agree it should been a 10 episode season. while some limited run series can get away with only 8 episode, other showrunners have seen that to do the show they are doing any justices you need minimal of 10 episode, so while I did manage to grasp carnival row with 8 episode it could have greatly benefited with having the extra 2 episode to making it a 10 episode run.

Caporegime
I think this might be close to the Witcher in some senses (got most of the same tones, bar the more advanced Victorian setting), guess we'll have to see when it finally airs though.

It's clearly about the inflection point in Victorian civil rights movements (slavery, colonialism, woman's and workers suffrage) enhanced by the fact that the others are actually different. Though the upcoming ghetto and terrorism aspect was kinda obvious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished it last night, the only thing I didn't like was how they saved everything until the last episode, they could have made the middle a bit more interesting by giving you a bit more idea what was going on.

Although I suppose no 1st series is perfect.

Caporegime
OP
Is this closer to Ripper Street or Penny Dreadful?

It's got a bit of the look and feel of Ripper Street (bit more steampunk at times) obvious difference being the fantasy human-like creatures such as fairies and people who are part-animal and a bit more emphasis on issues of colonialism/foreign invasions, racism, immigration etc...

Man of Honour
The look and feel has many similarities to Ripper Street albeit with fantasy elements - I'm not overly familiar with Penny Dreadful but I think only one aspect of the story has any overlap with that which you might get an impression of from some of the trailers/clips but isn't what you see most of the show though it is a fairly central part of the storyline.

Back
Top Bottom