Carnival Row

Associate
Watched the first 2 episodes and really struggled to get into it. Life's too short. Far too much on netflix and amazon demanding my attention to stick with this. Shame as I wanted to enjoy it a lot more than I did.

Caporegime
I really liked this. I loved the world they created. Quite different to anything we have seen done on a big budget for TV/Film before.

The biggest surprise was how good an actor Carla is. I thought she was fantastic. It is a shame Orlando Bloom is such an average actor, but he isn't too bad i guess.

The music was really good too.

The whole allegory for the fear of and attempted integration of immigrants (Trump, brexit etc) was a bit on the nose but at least it is topical i guess!

There were a few moments in the story that had me scratching my head but it wasn't too stupid.

Caporegime
I really liked this. I loved the world they created. Quite different to anything we have seen done on a big budget for TV/Film before.

The biggest surprise was how good an actor Carla is. I thought she was fantastic. It is a shame Orlando Bloom is such an average actor, but he isn't too bad i guess.

The music was really good too.

The whole allegory for the fear of and attempted integration of immigrants (Trump, brexit etc) was a bit on the nose but at least it is topical i guess!

There were a few moments in the story that had me scratching my head but it wasn't too stupid.

I really don't think it's an allegory for the current mess, this has been a problem for thousands of years and always seems to have the same rationale, bigotry and lack of any discussion that doesn't devolve to base aggression, usually to the detriment of the people that are suffering. This could have been made at any point in history and it'd still be a valid critique, not sure why anyone has to bring up the current reactionaries as if they're "new".

Caporegime
I really don't think it's an allegory for the current mess

I do, so there we are :p.

You can have this out with Orlando as well ;)

Actor Orlando Bloom revealed to Express.co.uk at the recent London premiere that this was one of the things that drew him to the project.

He said: “I think with the fantasy lens that we can look at the world through today, there’s great social commentary about the refugee migrant crisis, race, sexuality and power abuse.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...-refugee-series-Orlando-Bloom-Cara-Delevingne

Caporegime
I do, so there we are :p.

You can have this out with Orlando as well ;)

Actor Orlando Bloom revealed to Express.co.uk at the recent London premiere that this was one of the things that drew him to the project.

He said: “I think with the fantasy lens that we can look at the world through today, there’s great social commentary about the refugee migrant crisis, race, sexuality and power abuse.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/t...-refugee-series-Orlando-Bloom-Cara-Delevingne

Even so my point still stands, it's always a case of fantasying current issues in a manner that can be sold, doesn't change the fact that it's been the same way for so long. Though guess it's a bit pointless arguing this though (my point is purely cerebral), as the vast majority only ever see things through what they can currently see and i guess it's mostly irrelevant to see things across history rather than a lifetime.

I can suspend my belief enough to ignore the connection to whatever the writer is trying to convey as a political stand, i can take it at it's simplest.

Man of Honour
Finished it last night. It was ok, very predictable and nothing that happened was a surprise. My wife enjoyed it more than I did, so I guess I'll end up watching season two when it arrives.

Curious as to why the last two episodes were in Dolby Atmos compared to Dolby Digital for the rest.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So finished this last night and gotta say I was really underwhelmed by it, can't say I'm looking forward to the 2nd series

Same.

There were elements I enjoyed, like the setting and visuals. What I didn't get from the show was any real emotional connection or satisfaction.

It's also the first show I've had to watch with all the lights off, everything was so dark :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29450365/amazon-prime-carnival-row-season-2-shake-up/

But there is a big shake-up happening behind the scenes, as Arrowverse executive Marc Guggenheim has departed the Amazon series as showrunner. The series will be in good hands, however, as Netflix's Daredevil boss Erik Oleson will oversee things from now on.

Deadline broke the news and adds that co-creator Travis Beacham has also departed the show, while Guggenheim will still be consulting on the series going forward.

Hoping this means season 2 will be a step up.

Back
Top Bottom