Caroline Flack RIP

Soldato
Because mental health issues are no respecter of income or status
Studies contradict that - https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/statistics/mental-health-statistics-poverty Social determinants of mental health

R4Today, Billy Eilish (new to me, via Bond) , who, they implied, has similar social media status - chose to withdraw from it, for her sanity.
- not unconcvinced that relations releasing the above doesn't perpetuate social medias malaise.

(.. the press were outside her home, so metaphorically lost home )

Caporegime
Yeah, you’re much more likely to suffer with mental health problems if you’re living in poverty or even on a low income. Financial stress can bring on all sorts of issues. If you’re poorly educated it doesn’t help either.

I wonder if it has something to do with those who earn more or essentially those who take on more responsibility are more likely to seek help with their problems though. Of course there’s lots of people across the classes that suffer in silence but I think when you’re higher status you’re more likely to believe people will listen to you and be able to help.

That’s before you take into account being able to pay for a private therapist.

Soldato
Studies contradict that - https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/statistics/mental-health-statistics-poverty Social determinants of mental health

R4Today, Billy Eilish (new to me, via Bond) , who, they implied, has similar social media status - chose to withdraw from it, for her sanity.
- not unconcvinced that relations releasing the above doesn't perpetuate social medias malaise.

(.. the press were outside her home, so metaphorically lost home )

You may be more likely but a healthy bank account and seemingly the trappings on the surface of a good life don't make you immune which was what the poster appeared to be suggesting.

Capodecina
Soldato
It seems likely that trolls on social media probably exacerbated this woman's mental health problems and people in general seem sympathetic about the path she felt compelled to take and are quite reasonably critical of Twitter & Facebook users and the gutter press.

However it seems that this attitude doesn't stop people criticising Greta Thunberg who I believes suffers from a lot of abuse on the social media that she has to use to try to bring about positive change.

It is almost as if people are hypocritical - very strange :confused:

Soldato
You may be more likely but a healthy bank account and seemingly the trappings on the surface of a good life don't make you immune which was what the poster appeared to be suggesting.

I agree. The idea that only the poorest/least successful earn the "right" to kill themselves is a fallacy.

One of my oldest mates topped himself a few years ago. He was in a very good job, travelling the world and earning good money but he still decided to end it. If the misery runs deep enough (he had issues from his past that I won't go into here) then wealth and status aren't enough to shield a person.

The only way to lose the black dog is through support and understanding, something I wasn't able to give my mate because I didn't know the extent of his suffering. This is one of my biggest regrets.

Soldato
That also doesn't work with some people.

Unfortunately true but I often wonder if we underestimate the amount of support someone needs for it be adequate, and they fall through the gap.

For example, I believe Caroline had the support of family & friends and was pictured smiling while out walking with them only the day before she died. The next day, presumably when she was alone, she learnt that her trial was going ahead and she hung herself. I wonder if she'd had the support of her partner, family or close friends at that moment whether she'd still be alive today.

Soldato
Unfortunately true but I often wonder if we underestimate the amount of support someone needs for it be adequate, and they fall through the gap.

For example, I believe Caroline had the support of family & friends and was pictured smiling while out walking with them only the day before she died. The next day, presumably when she was alone, she learnt that her trial was going ahead and she hung herself. I wonder if she'd had the support of her partner, family or close friends at that moment whether she'd still be alive today.
She wasn't allowed to speak to her partner at the moment I thought, after she had allegedly bludgeoned him in his sleep?

Caporegime
Yup it was part of the bail conditions, she wasn't allowed contact. She did have the support of friends though, a friend was there with her on the day but had popped out briefly and that is when she did it.

Ultimately if someone really wants to take their life then they will.

Soldato
Yup it was part of the bail conditions, she wasn't allowed contact. She did have the support of friends though, a friend was there with her on the day but had popped out briefly and that is when she did it.

Ultimately if someone really wants to take their life then they will.

What a shame that her friend had to pop out. I believe that strong suicidal urges can often pass after a short time. It's just a case of being around at the right time to see them through it.

Caporegime
I agree. The idea that only the poorest/least successful earn the "right" to kill themselves is a fallacy.

One of my oldest mates topped himself a few years ago. He was in a very good job, traveling the world and earning good money but he still decided to end it. If the misery runs deep enough (he had issues from his past that I won't go into here) then wealth and status aren't enough to shield a person.

The only way to lose the black dog is through support and understanding, something I wasn't able to give my mate because I didn't know the extent of his suffering. This is one of my biggest regrets.
+1

One of the wealthiest “have it all” types I’ve ever encountered killed himself a few years ago, to this day nobody knows why, he literally had it all, fabulous lifestyle - with none of the media crap that a “celebrity” has to put up with - self-made guy, beautiful wife, daughters, toddler son, collection of Classic Fast Fords and Porsche’s, on the surface he had everything, happy go lucky (we thought) no history or knowledge of depression.

Hung himself after seeing his eldest daughter's graduation,all he left was a letter saying sorry with no other explanation.

We thought something terrible would come out subsequently to explain it perhaps, maybe his business would suddenly report massive fraud or whatever, to this day nothing, the business has gone from strength to strength but the family left hugely damaged by the shock which I doubt will ever go away.

We never got the chance to give him any support, he was to all intents & purposes the last person on this earth you'd have thought needed any,

Soldato
( shame ..... :confused: )

In so much that social media has been responsible for her condition, her peers, herself, her parents, itv, bbc, .... needed and need to be more outspoken/cognisant of its role,
my sympathies are more with the adolescents - like Molly Russell etc. as said.
maybe this will be a wake-up call to parents.

They're now advertising a child oriented messaging app on the tv, the add epitomises the issues with facebook, and shows how they cause (and it avoids) dominoe effects of ill-sentiment, can't find it's name with google just now. ... was impressed.

Pointing out that lower socio-economic demographic are more prone to mental health issues, has not so far been a point made by the likes of William, Harry,
+the several footballers; they could in their patronage, acknowledge that their privilege and financial means to get help etc. may/does make them atypical.
(edit: top be clearer - I find their contribution insincere w/o this)

Associate
"But I am NOT a domestic abuser. We had an argument and an accident happened. An accident. The blood that someone SOLD to a newspaper was MY blood and that was something very sad and very personal.

This makes no sense.. the story i read yesterday said her boyfriend was asleep in a bed and she hit him over the head with a lamp... not quite an accident in my book.

Unless the story was completely fabricated??
Something isn't right that's for sure...

If we're to believe her statement then isn't it reasonable to assume the boyfriend is lying not telling the whole truth?

I doubt we'll ever know.

Caporegime
I suspect that she has a bit of a rose tinted view of it tbh... the allegation was that she hit him in his sleep and at the time he was scared enough to call the police seemingly suggesting that she was trying to kill him. She also apparently threw a glass or something at him (?) - perhaps that's the argument bit she's referring to, self harmed and when police were there she flipped a table over. I'd assume she was probably also worried/anxious about whatever further details would be reported on form the body cam footage at the trial. It seems like a little bit more than an accident anyway.

Associate
I suspect that she has a bit of a rose tinted view of it tbh... the allegation was that she hit him in his sleep and at the time he was scared enough to call the police seemingly suggesting that she was trying to kill him. She also apparently threw a glass or something at him (?) - perhaps that's the argument bit she's referring to, self harmed and when police were there she flipped a table over. I'd assume she was probably also worried/anxious about whatever further details would be reported on form the body cam footage at the trial. It seems like a little bit more than an accident anyway.
So it was domestic abuse then imagine the other way around a male celebrity on a woman the twitter lynch mob would be out pitchforks ready their would be no criticism of the media or the CPS only that he should be going away for years.

Associate
Actually name calling sort of makes you an idiot also then. And you proved my point if homeless people can get on with life, Then why not fairly successful celeb?
Some people are actually stronger than others a lad i went to school with topped himself and he was the last person you would ever imagine doing it he was a real mans man good looking loads of girls fancied him but then a few set backs in life and he just couldn't cope.

Soldato
""But I am NOT a domestic abuser. We had an argument and an accident happened. An accident. The blood that someone SOLD to a newspaper was MY blood and that was something very sad and very personal."

Captain obvious here maybe, but isn't the implication here that she had a miscarriage? If we take those words at face value, at least. (I haven't actually seen the pictures, btw)

Such a sad story. Mental illness is a terrible thing, and my thoughts are with those who have the daily battles.

Back
Top Bottom