Carpet Underlay.

Soldato
Going to be getting our lounge and stairs carpet done soon and wanted to buy the underlay separately for a batter price.

We have concrete floor in the lounge and the current underlay is glued down rather than on gripper rods.

Is the cloud 9 underlay still regarded as the best "bang for buck" or should I be looking into something else.

Open to all recommendations.

cheers.

Associate
watching this with interest, I have almost completed on my house and the whole house requires new carpets, from my quick maths about 135 m2 worth so am looking for a good underlay that's not going to cost the earth

Soldato
Seems the Wilson underlay gets good reviews as well but not sure it's suited for concrete floor.

Though not sure if that will be an issue in our house as it has 1970 electric under floor heating that is no longer in use but I'm assuming it must be well insulated?

Soldato
Last house I used Cloud 9 cumulus 11mm.. after 6 years its still in great shape. Its been a rental now for 2 years and is holding up well (and the tenants love it).
New place, when we were having a new carpet fitted you can guess what I chose... Cumulus. Carpet fitter complimented us on our choice and said its his fav for living rooms and bedrooms.

Associate
Just out of curiosity, I just looked at Cloud 9 Cumulus on the underlay4u site and came across this gem of a special offer:

Save an Extra 0% & Buy the Full Roll (15m2 Per Roll)

Soldato
Hey all.

I went with cloud 9 cumulus 11mm in the end. Intending to do the lounge, dining room and hall ways with it.

I also intended to do the stairs with it but I've just had a estimator round from carpet right that told me 11mm was illegal to use on a stairs.?.

First I've heard of it. He said it was because of a tripping hazard with the edge of the step over hanging more?
He wasn't being pushy for me to buy more underlay, just giving me the advice. He also told me I can save a lot of money getting my own gripper rod as well, so I don't think he was trying to drive the price up.

I've searched online and can't find any thing that say 11mm is illegal to use on a stairs but I have found a lot of people saying its not the best idea to use 11mm on stairs and 9mm would be better.

Has any one used 11mm on their stairs?

It's got me thinking i should get something else for the stairs now though. 9mm Crumb rubber comes up a lot and I'd only need 11 meters so hopefully wont add too much cost on.

Any one got any advice.

cheers.

Back
Top Bottom