Carrying something for self defence

Caporegime
I wouldn't carry something lethal without another excuse for carrying it other than defence. Try one of those big, heavy Maglites. If you have to use it and then give a police statement after caving someone in, your excuse is that you needed it to see. Sorted.

Soldato
Do you own this business? I've always worked with the opinion if someone comes to steal somthing at work they can have it its not worth my hassle. (Don't get me wrong I'll report it but I'd never put myself in risk)

If you do own the business or its affecting you directly I think the mag maglite is the safest option but I would seriously be careful with apreaching any group that out numbers you.

Associate
Just carry the Official OcUK Guide to Boxing Stances, it`s quite heavy as it contains the collective martial arts expertise of this forums best fighters.

Soldato
If its private land you can use any means necessary in self defence. ;)

No you can't, you can use reasonable and proportional force, anything beyond that and you'll get yourself into hot water and rightly so.
We are a civilized society, not a bunch of vigilante lunatics !

Soldato
Have you considered having your right arm removed and replaced with a feather duster? It's a non lethal solution, the thugs accosted you verbally, you raise you duster appendage and advance with menace, the thugs turn to each other and say "Holy ****, that dude has a feather duster for an arm!" They then back away with all due haste.

It has the added benefit of revolutionising your cleaning routine. However if you are in fact right handed, then your Saturday morning hand shandy is going to be an odd experience.

Soldato
No you can't, you can use reasonable and proportional force, anything beyond that and you'll get yourself into hot water and rightly so.
We are a civilized society, not a bunch of vigilante lunatics !

The law was changed a few years ago, you can nail anyone with anything if they try to break into private property or land.

An English man and his castle rule apply. ;)

Not saying you run around with a shotgun and knife, but lets just say you break into my house you getting a 12 inch blade in the neck before you get out the door, if I catch you. :p

Underboss
The problem with carrying something for protection is that if you are outnumbered and not quick enough they will just take it off you and might use it against you.

Whatever you do just be careful.

Soldato
I doubt you can just machine gun down people on your own land. The laws are shady at best around this.

You cannot legally own a machine gun so your point is mute. :rolleyes:

I used to know a lot of farmers and most had shot gun licences.

Point is you can use what ever means necessary to defend your property and life.

Even if its a little of a gray area sometimes in law, you getting it no matter what. ;)

Soldato
What GTanny said. Why on earth would you put yourself in harms way for the company you work for? If you suggest violence by carrying something, violence will ensue. You'll come out worse, 100%. Not worth it.

Caporegime
Are there even any laws against carrying weapons on private property? As far as I am aware you can carry what you like at your own peril if an incident arises.

A crossbow is a good option.

You might then need to explain why you've got a crossbow and if your answer is 'for self defence' then you're a bit silly.

I mean if you're on a country estate and shooting rabbits then you've got good reason to have a shot gun with you. If you're a security guard then you've got a good reason to have a big metal torch with you. If you're cooking in your kitchen when someone kicks the front door down then you might well have a big knife to hand.

But if you're carrying something with the sole intention of using it as a weapon against another person then you're quite likely to get into trouble.

Get something with a dual purpose that you will actually use and can give a plausible reason for having with you or having close by.

Soldato
The law was changed a few years ago, you can nail anyone with anything if they try to break into private property or land.

An English man and his castle rule apply. ;)

Not saying you run around with a shotgun and knife, but lets just say you break into my house you getting a 12 inch blade in the neck before you get out the door, if I catch you. :p

You are still only allowed to use reasonable and proportional force.

ex:
If someone breaks into your house and you clock them on the head once with a blunt object and knock them out I'd be VERY surprised if any court in this land will find you guilty of a crime. (Reasonable force)
However if you decide to batter them into a coma then good luck in court, because you're gonna need it!

Ohh and your stabbing them in the neck with a 12inch knife WILL land you in serious trouble unless you can prove that he posed a threat to you or a loved ones life. ie. he came at you with a weapon

Back
Top Bottom