Cars Around 20k That Are Not So Likely To Depreciate?

Soldato
People can’t seem to get enough of the 996 at the moment. Buy a good one and use it on high days and holidays and I don’t think you’ll lose much in depreciation.

S2000 has ridden off into the sunset. I loved mine and wish I still had it, but wouldn’t buy another for £20,000!

E92 M3 and the Z4M are probably still a little undervalued I think given the current explosion in used prices.

Soldato
Alfa Romeo GTA. Either the 147 or 156. I owned mine for 10 years from 2007 to 2017, and it only lost about £6k of value in that time - and even that only because I knowingly sold it on the cheap to avoid the hassle of fixing an aircon issue first. I sold at £5,500.

In the 5 years since I sold it, it has only gone up in value. Even if the new owner hasn't cossetted it, it'll likely command around £10k now, and they're continuing to go up.

The one issue with that option though - parts availability isn't necessarily great across the board.

The C63 I replaced it with might be a good shout too. I bought at around £30k, and it's probably worth closer to £20k now. But the values seem to have stayed fairly static or recovered a little over the last couple of years.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Caporegime
Im their biggest fan. But I wouldn’t be spending £20k on one.

Although I saw Gibbo on sat and his old S2000 is in DT performance for £20k ish I think

£20k is what decent ones are going for atm at fair prices. Ive seen ones offered for sale at £25k and £27k recently!

But prices of them are only going to go one way - upwards IMO!

The time to buy one was a few years ago when you could get a decent one for less than £15k.

Another shout for a 996 or 997 though.

Caporegime
I'd sell mine for £15k tomorrow if someone offered me that :p

decent reasonable mileage ones. Plenty of ragged 100k mile ones around for sub £15k :p

There are 4 for sale atm all £25k+ with low mileage

Anything less than 50k miles are still £around £20k

Anything sub £15k are 80,000 miles or more or need work.

Sub £10k are the 130,000 mile plus brigade.

Caporegime
Yeah had my eye on the prices since ive owned a S2000 since 2006, still not sure they are at the start of their rises. Who knows though when you see the NSX prices.

Caporegime
Yeah had my eye on the prices since ive owned a S2000 since 2006, still not sure they are at the start of their rises. Who knows though when you see the NSX prices.

To be fair the list price of a 2008 s2000 was £28k which meant you could have probably bought a new one for less than £25k. The fact that if you looked after it and it has less than 50k miles on and you can get all your money back or even make a small profit is quite remarkable.

Not NSX profit but still impressive.

I think as new ICE cars stop being built, anything with a decent v6/v8/exotic engine is only likely to go up in price as people want a weekend ICE car after driving their EV all week.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is from 2020. wonder how it compares today but might give you some ideas. id deffo get something you want and can drive. You dont want something to just sit in a garage.

They listed the Impreza... would that also include the recent WRX (for example 2017 model) seeing as they are moving away from combustion engines? That or the Evo X because discontinued.

Caporegime
To be fair the list price of a 2008 s2000 was £28k which meant you could have probably bought a new one for less than £25k. The fact that if you looked after it and it has less than 50k miles on and you can get all your money back or even make a small profit is quite remarkable.

Not NSX profit but still impressive.

I think as new ICE cars stop being built, anything with a decent v6/v8/exotic engine is only likely to go up in price as people want a weekend ICE car after driving their EV all week.
It’s worth remembering that NSX prices dropped as low as £20k only ten years ago. Admittedly that was a ropey automatic but it shows how cheap they’d become. A good manual would have been less than £30k.

Soldato
Saw a post on Pistonheads FB page about the E46 M3 CSL. 2004 car, currently up for sale for £105,000 with 32k miles. And i thought they had hit the ceiling when they were £50-60k....

Caporegime
I think this is a great shout
I was considering one before I picked up my 428i. Once you sort a couple of issues, which TBH by now are likely to have been sorted apparently they hardly go wrong. Make a lovely noise, pretty quick but the idea of a 5.0 V8, while tempting, gave me the heebie-jeebies especially as I figured at the time fuel prices were only going one way. As you've said though they've remained pretty static price wise even after the easing from the Pandemic price increases.

Soldato
As a second car, I'd have a Chimaera.

Before kids I had 2 caterhams and an impreza. Loved all of them but never had the big v8.
TVR is another decent shout. Sadly a Tuscan is out of budget here but if you can find a chimera which has a decent chassis it would be pretty safe from depreciation.

Alfa Busso V6 in pretty much any form should continue to appreciate in value.

Soldato
the fuel prices are still the wild card in future ICE values - as opposed to a GOLF R, GTE's have sustained better than average 2nd hand values, leader in phev, but maybe not for a long term op ownership, past the battery warranty ... what is his daily mileage profile.

with confirmed UK inflation rates it could also be a good time to put the cash in the bank on fun cars, albeit euro exchange rates should see a further hike in new, eu metal prices.

Back
Top Bottom