Case airflow question

Soldato
Background: I've just installed a G0 Q6600 and I think it should be running cooler than 75C when it has 1.34V (1.30V on load) @ 3.4Ghz. I reapplied paste last night and it's actually made things about 2 degrees worse (Artic Silver 3).

The Setup: I have a CM Hyper 212 with two 120mm CM Sickleflow fans running at about 1850 in the push/pull config, which is blowing directly on the rear fan (about a 3cm gap to the rear fan). The rear fan is an Akasa Amber 120mm that is only spinning at 1300RPM (roughly).

The Questions: Do you think that the rear fan is significantly affecting the ability of the HSF to shed heat from the case? If so, do you think changing the fan to something better (Akasa Apache for example), will help things a fair bit?

Soldato
Try taking the side panel off and see if your temps drop, if they drop you'll need better case flow[upgrade fans]. As far thermal paste if you are using AC 3, there are better thermal paste's such as MX4 which will improve your CPU Cooler temps.

Associate
The Questions: Do you think that the rear fan is significantly affecting the ability of the HSF to shed heat from the case? If so, do you think changing the fan to something better (Akasa Apache for example), will help things a fair bit?[/QUOTE]

getbetter quality fans will make temps lower.
but make sure u have same air going in case
as leaving case. and cases with fans on top is a
very good idea because heat rises so expels out top of case.
and try the blob method of paste in middle of cpu.
small blob works wonders here.

Associate
Try taking the side panel off and see if your temps drop, if they drop you'll need better case flow[upgrade fans]. As far thermal paste if you are using AC 3, there are better thermal paste's such as MX4 which will improve your CPU Cooler temps.

+1

Side panel off is a great trick.

I recently swapped my AS-5 for MX-4 and gained 4 or 5 degrees on an already very cool water loop. It's so much easier to apply (and presumably, to remove as well)!

Soldato
The side of the case is certainly not a permanent solution, and definately not one I intend to use long as we have dog's and that means dog hair and dust/dirt.

I was telling him to take the side panel off to see if his temps would drop if they did he would need better fans for the air flow, thats just a quick way to test your case air flow.

Soldato
how much paste r u using, could be to much or not enough

ive cut the fan guards out of my case to help with the air flow and noise

is your case on positive or negative pressure ?

i carnt see the point in changing your fans, unless u get one the pushes more air out,

ive had my q6600 running at 3.2 and it wasent running that hot.

Soldato
OP
(Room temp has been 22C the entire time.)

Well the results are in... hour running prime 95 with case side on: 78/77/75/74. Northbridge: 52 C.
Take case side off, and continue running: 70/70/66/66 (but mostly below 70). Northbridge: 43 C.

So basically as much as 8 C off the CPU by taking the side off, and I did see the northbridge at 42C so 9/10 C off the northbridge.

My Front case fan is this: Akasa Apache:
Application: PC case or heatsink fan
Dimension: 120 X 120 X 25mm
Fan speed: 600 -1300 RPM
Max airflow: 57.53 CFM (97.74 m3/h)
Max static air pressure: 2.64 mm H2O
Noise level: 6.9 -16.05 dB(A)
Current rating0.33A
Voltage rating: 12V DC

My rear case fan is: Akasa Amber:
Application: PC case or heatsink fan
Dimension: 120 x 120 x 25mm
Fan speed: 1400 RPM
Airflow: 44.8 CFM (75.9m3/h)
Fan air pressure: 1.1mm H20
Noise level: 18.0 dB(A)
Current rating: 0.08A
Voltage rating: 12V DC

Also, to answer a question, my temps on the CPU got 2 degrees worth after reapplying using the 'pea' method. I use a little less than a pea, which seemed real excessive to me, and the temps got worse. I think I will try reapplying with the grain of rice method to see if that helps, and also buy some MX-4 when I get the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Scouger, looking at your fans try swapping them round, as your pulling less air out them what your putting in, reversing them should give you better air flow.

As for appling thermal paste, did you clean your CPU off properly, when l clean my CPU. I take the paste off with kitchen roll then use Akasa TIM Clean to get the rest off, then wipe till there is nothing showing on the kitchen roll. I apply about 3 rice grains in the centre of the CPU and let the presure of the CPU as its tightn's down corner to corner spread the paste. Make sure you tighten the screws down equally, just enguage the screw then tighten down about 1 full turn at a time corner to corner.

Associate
enguage the screw then tighten down about 1 full turn at a time corner to corner.
Just to add, do the corners in criss cross order, like top-left/bottom-right/top right/bottom left, rather than each corner going round clockwise/anticlockwise. That should give you a more even central spread.

Associate
Do you think that the rear fan is significantly affecting the ability of the HSF to shed heat from the case? If so, do you think changing the fan to something better (Akasa Apache for example), will help things a fair bit?

Apache is a 1400 rpm fan @ 100% when in 4 pin fan header, great case fans super quite, but my temp on cpu cooler went up 4c after fitting them over sharkroon , but now my pc is dead silent , get mx4 and fans you can control so you can tune it to your preference of temperature /noise

Soldato
Sorry m8 should have been more precise, tighten in the same order, forgot to put my little diagram in. Have you tried swapping fans round? or Yes to replacing it with another Apache. :)

X.jpg

Back
Top Bottom