Cash for favours?

Soldato
Sorry this thread title will disappoint.

Basically just wondering what is the done thing (etiquette?) about this situation?

To keep us a short as possible a neighbour over the road needed a ride to Luton airport, and I offered to do it. I said that I didn't want any money and was happy to do it

Anyway, drop her off at the airport and she gives me £50, I try to refuse but she's not having it, so I've taken it.

I'm a bit cross in a way, because one I offered and also whilst I'm certainly not suggesting I'm Gucci belt material, I know they are not very well off.

So was I right to take it? Should I have stood my ground in refusing? Which causes more offence?

How much would it have cost for an Uber or taxi? If it's loads and £50 was a bargain for her, then just accept it. If it's too much then return some/all of it back. Context is important.

You cant change what's happened but when she returns you can give her some money back keep more of a token gesture, drink money say ,plus fuel and tell her it was offered as a favour that she can return one day if you need it

So was I right to take it? Should I have stood my ground in refusing? Which causes more offence?

Yes. They have decided they want to give you something. You did them a favour and they want to say thank you. It's a sensible level of gift in return. It would cause more offence if you refused, it's good etiquette to accept appropriate gifts gracefully. Humans like to return favours and be all square.

How much would it have cost for an Uber or taxi? If it's loads and £50 was a bargain for her, then just accept it. If it's too much then return some/all of it back. Context is important.

It was a 125 mile round trip, 125 miles @ 40mpg if you want to try and work out the petrol cost (unleaded), and 3 hours of my time.

No idea what a taxi would have cost.

You did the right thing in accepting. Not accepting it is disrespectful. Refusing a fair gift payment from someone because they aren't well off (or you think they aren't) is disrespecting them, it's better to accept and say thank you, that's what they want. Even though you mean well, refusing can belittle and offend them because in effect you're regarding them as poor. They decided to give, you should accept gracefully. Hope that helps.

It was a 125 mile round trip, 125 miles @ 40mpg if you want to try and work out the petrol cost (unleaded), and 3 hours of my time.

No idea what a taxi would have cost.

An absolute fortune. Don't feel bad, £50 barely covers your fuel.

You've done them a massive favour, and they have massively benefited whilst you've been very neighbourly.

Relax in the thought that you're a nice guy.

You did the right thing in accepting. Not accepting it is disrespectful. Refusing a fair gift payment from someone because they aren't well off (or you think they aren't) is disrespecting them, it's better to accept and say thank you, that's what they want. Even though you mean well, refusing can belittle and offend them because in effect you're regarding them as poor. They decided to give, you should accept gracefully. Hope that helps.
Well, no.

"I said that I didn't want any money and was happy to do it".

And if you mention crypto by God I will end you.

Back
Top Bottom