Cash for favours?

Soldato
It was a 125 mile round trip, 125 miles @ 40mpg if you want to try and work out the petrol cost (unleaded), and 3 hours of my time.

No idea what a taxi would have cost.

Around £20 (16p a mile) in cost of petrol alone, or £56 (45p a mile) overall. Taxi woukd have been more in any case. I mean it worked out better for them. Wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Soldato
It was a 125 mile round trip, 125 miles @ 40mpg if you want to try and work out the petrol cost (unleaded), and 3 hours of my time.

I think in that case it probably cost like £25 in fuel, maybe £35 total running costs. A taxi would have been much more, £200 maybe? Think costs vary by area though so idk.

I think it's fine - you wanted to do them a favour and you did, by taking them to the airport. They didn't want to feel like they were taking advantage / felt very grateful and weren't sure what else to do, and wanted to give you some money. Fair enough that you refused it at first but I think given they insisted taking it was probably the right thing to do on your part.

I find stuff like this awkward too and don't like mixing money and favours / helping out friends etc, but I think best way to think about it is that they've covered your costs and bought you a few beers or something.

Last edited:
Soldato

50 pounds for 3 hours!!! work out how much you would have been paid if you did 3 hours of overtime at work! never mine the petrol and wear and tear on the car, I hope she hawk utah....lol

joking aside... I jumped into a black cab from manchester to my gaft, it's about 16 miles/30 min drive in manchester traffic, I think I paid £55 pounds...
normally if I pre-book in advice I could get it for 30ish pounds but I just wanted to get home.. lol

I guess it's not the amount, it's the taking of cash but at least it was a decent amount. Someone offered me 20 pounds to take them across 3 countries to festival, where they would be festival traffic and they wanted me to pick them up. I didn't like them that much so I made my excusses and told them that I CBA'd as I was busy playing video games at home.

Soldato
Well, no.

"I said that I didn't want any money and was happy to do it".

And if you mention crypto by God I will end you.
Crypto...
my life problems will be ended soon.. thank you

its a 2 way communications its also about respecting her. shes offered and insisted.
if you want to give it back, find a way to doit suttly? like a nice bottle of bubbly or something.
honestly there are plenty of people out there that would take the mick and not even offer.

they could have said 50 is to much and said 25 as a compromise as a though

Back
Top Bottom