Caster Semenya could be forced to undertake hormone therapy for future Olympics

Her eligibility to compete in women's athletics is up to the IAAF and probably the courts to determine, not us !

kind of irrelevant, I think everyone posting is well aware that their opinion/post on the matter isn't going to affect her eligibility

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48102479

Caster Semenya has lost a landmark case against athletics' governing body meaning it will be allowed to restrict testosterone levels in female runners.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) rejected the South African's challenge against the IAAF's new rules.

But Cas said it had "serious concerns as to the future practical application" of the regulations.

Olympic 800m champion Semenya, 28, said in response to the ruling that the IAAF "have always targeted me specifically".

Now she - and other athletes with differences of sexual development (DSD) - must either take medication in order to compete in track events from 400m to the mile, or change to another distance.

"For a decade the IAAF has tried to slow me down, but this has actually made me stronger. The decision of Cas will not hold me back," said Semenya in a statement.

"I will once again rise above and continue to inspire young women and athletes in South Africa and around the world."

Previously, she had said that she wanted to "run naturally, the way I was born".

Cas found that the rules for athletes with DSD were discriminatory - but that the discrimination was "necessary, reasonable and proportionate" to protect "the integrity of female athletics".

This bit seems a bit optimistic: "For a decade the IAAF has tried to slow me down, but this has actually made me stronger. The decision of Cas will not hold me back," I suspect that her times will drop off significantly once the testosterone is reduced.

This is still a minefield though, this is a bit of a fudge to balance her desire to compete as a woman and the fact she's apparently got male advantages. Testosterone reduction doesn't avoid other issues such as say bone structure/height etc.. in boxing, wrestling or basketball.

Why should she be discriminated against because of her biological makeup?

For the same reason half the population is, to allow women to participate in athletics.

Not say men’s events and “women’s events” dominated by trans women and intersex people with male advantages but identifying as female.

I thought we were now living in this weird world where everything has to be equal?

Why did you think that with regards to this area? Is that your personal view? Do you think we shouldn’t have rules separating men and women in athletics for example?

No, my fault. I was mistaken in thinking she was a woman. That said, my views are at the minute pre 2018 so many probably won't agree with me.

I do think men should compete with men (I mean men, you know...men) and women with women. Some disagree, which was my original point I guess. Strange times ahead.

I guess part of it is the way it’s been reported. It’s often been reported that she’s simply a woman with a condition that gives her high testosterone, which in terms of gender/current identity politics is correct but then easily plays into the narrative that they’re out to get her because she’s too good etc...

The intersex aspect, essentially biological advantages of a man albeit her balls are undescended and her penis didn’t develop, is sometimes omitted when, with regards to sport, under current rules sex matters.

Of course I see the point that putting women with somebody who has male levels of testosterone makes the whole competition pointless as obviously the higher testosterone gives absolute advantage but then again, it was her genetic make up since birth. Should we punish Michael Phelps for his freak genetic make up that make him perfect for swimming?

We don't segregate in athletics based on body proportions we segregate based on sex or gender (depending on the rules).

I guess some sports do practice other forms of segregation such as boxing segregating by weight class. I'm not sure there is huge demand for it but maybe you could segregate swimmers, though that is an entirely separate discussion really.

Complicated situation. Personally I think it is unfair for trans M to F compete with women, it just seems not fair but here we have Semenya who is not altering her body, she was born this way. I have conflicting view on the whole thing as I personally think her winning is unfair but at the same time why is it unfair, she was born this way and she is a female.

That does indeed seem conflicted, you could make exactly the same argument about M to F trans people and claim they were born that way and they are female.

Yes both Semenya and M to F trans women identify as female, though they've got some obvious male advantages that they were born with and if we're segregating into male and female groups specifically as a result of those advantages then letting some people through as a result of identity is rather flawed and defeats the purpose of segregating in the first place.

There is not a single shred of evidence for this ridiculous assertion. None. Nada. Zip. It's slander made up by prize turds. If it WAS the case the IAAF wouldn't haven't repeatedly found that she is female, and the whole mess wouldn't have come to testosterone test levels.

Erm... have you got any evidence that the IAAF didn't find she was intersex?

AFAIK they never released the results, there were however leaks...

If you're going to claim they repeatedly found she was female then please do link to the results because AFAIK they never released them officially.

@Mr Jack

this was the leak:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/o...er-Semenya-is-a-hermaphrodite-tests-show.html

The tests carried out on the 18 year-old shortly after her victory in Berlin are believed to have shown that she has a chromosomal abnormality that gives her both male and female characteristics.

According to reports in the Australian media, the medical tests have established that she has no womb or ovaries and that she also has internal testes – the male sexual organs responsible for producing testosterone.

Earlier analysis had revealed that Semenya's testosterone levels were three times the normal level for a woman.

The International Association of Athletics Federations received the results of Semenya's 'gender verification test' this week, but it has refused to confirm the findings until they have been verified by a panel of independent scientific experts and the athlete has been personally informed.

But Pierre Weiss, the IAAF secretary general, hinted strongly at the results on Thursday when he said: "It is clear that she is a woman, but maybe not 100 per cent. We have to see if she has an advantage from her possibly being between two sexes compared to the others."

So visually there is seemingly no penis, but internally she's apparently got testes...

Are you still going to maintain that they found out she was female when testing here - in which case what is the basis for your claim?

They passed her to compete as female. A pair of hanging balls, as asserted, would have been pretty clear evidence against, no?

no one claimed a pair of hanging balls, please don't throw in a straw man argument here.... and they clearly don't want her competing as female unless she undergoes some treatment else this case wouldn't exist

There is no publicly available evidence as to the nature of her condition.

so you can't back up the claim you made above where you asserted: "If it WAS the case the IAAF wouldn't haven't repeatedly found that she is female"

You don't know that they did, according to both the public statement from the IAAF and leak it seems she is intersex

In a sense any form of increased testosterone could be considered intersex but there are plenty of causes that aren't usually considered so. Either way she is not a man trying to pass as a woman. She IS a woman. The questions about how she should compete is complex enough without bringing this rubbish into it; and is a quite different question as to whether transgender women should be able to compete.

I'm not claiming she is a man trying to pass as a woman AFAIK she is intersex. You made a claim that she has been repeatedly found to be female, you have no basis to make that claim.

Trying to portray this as simply a woman with higher than normal testosterone is what draws the flawed comparisons to say Bolt having longer legs etc.. We segregate athletics into male and female events, if she's not really completely female then that does pose a dilemma.

I'd don't believe you're so stupid as to think that the normal use of "balls" doesn't refer to an external part of the male genitalia. When that's not what you mean try using the words that do mean what you mean.

Perhaps try reading the thread/considering the context here, even just the recent posts, where the internal testes have been referred to.

You've asserted this to be untrue and further asserted a claim re: the findings of the IAAF, which you can't back up...

There is not a single shred of evidence for this ridiculous assertion. None. Nada. Zip. It's slander made up by prize turds. If it WAS the case the IAAF wouldn't haven't repeatedly found that she is female, and the whole mess wouldn't have come to testosterone test levels.

That implied you'd heard the allegation before, it has been both reported and mentioned in this thread... though perhaps you mistakenly assumed that in order to have testes she'd have them externally.

If you can't even be bothered to read to even Wikipedia level, I can't help you.

Nice rather than a response or anything to back up your claim you throw in an ad hominem in reply to a point... you quite clearly made an assertion, it is quoted above and you can't back it up ergo you've resorted to insults about my reading ability.

Multiple allegations have been levelled at Caster including that she has both male and female sexual attributes. I can't know that people are suddenly using words in a new way.

I don't believe anyone is using words in a new way here, you're seemingly just ignoring context, haven't read earlier posts/information in the thread that would give context and are apparently unaware of the leaks.

What difference does it make with regards to your opinion if her testes are descended or not? Your previous statement implied that if they were present then this wouldn't come down to testosterone levels?

Also as you were seemingly unaware previously of the leak, would the presence of undescended testes change your opinion?

Are you seriously saying you don't know the IAAF repeatedly passed her as female? Try reading Wikipedia to get some basic facts.

I'm questioning your assertions, not wikipedia's. Can you be more specific with regards to what you're referring to exactly when you say "passed her as female"? As far as I'm aware they didn't publish the results of the test they carried out. As already posted the public statement from an IAAF spokesman indicated that she is intersex and the leaked test apparently shows that too.

I suspect you're trying to obfuscate now... I think everyone is aware that she has competed as a female, your claim was, in response to the poster asserting that she has a pair of "balls" which he meant in reference to undefended testes and you seemingly took to mean descended testes:

You've ignored the second question I asked above - so undescended testes don't matter in your opinion. Given you assumed the poster was referring to descended testes by "a pair of balls" What difference does it make with regards to your opinion if her testes are descended or not? Your previous statement implied that if they were present then this wouldn't come down to testosterone levels? Why does visual presentation matter to you here?

They passed her to compete as female. That's all. This is not really relevant if we're not taking about balls anymore.

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse...

You previously stated in response to the testes allegation:

"If it WAS the case the IAAF wouldn't haven't repeatedly found that she is female"

We're well aware she has been allowed to compete as a female and that in order to clear her to do so the IAAF has wanted her to suppress her testosterone levels, AFAIK that is because she is intersex!

Maybe women don't mind competing with a part man... Any professional women athletes here or anyone know one to ask?

We can complain all we want but it should really be a discussion for the people involved.

Yeah they're totally cool with it, especially when they lose out on medals because seemingly the top three are allegedly all intersex:

JiwxxcH.jpg

Occasionally they do give an interview indicating that they're not very happy with the situation, that then results in backlash towards them with accusations of racism etc.. etc..

I suspect, given the below, that most would rather the governing body sorted it out, which is what the IAAF seems to be trying to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/21/lynsey-sharp-caster-semenya-rio-2016-olympics

Sharp told the BBC after the race: “I have tried to avoid the issue all year. You can see how emotional it all was. We know how each other feels. It is out of our control and how much we rely on people at the top sorting it out. The public can see how difficult it is with the change of rule but all we can do is give it our best.

Last edited:
Are we really talking trans in a thread about an intersex person?

There is a bit of overlap and similar dilemmas tbh...

I mean she has been raised as a female but has perhaps known for around a decade now at least that she's actually biologically male albeit her penis didn't develop.

There are other intersex people who might have a bit of both etc...

I guess it depends on the definitions here - if you take a sort of blind position in that anyone "assigned female" at birth (regardless of whether they really are) who stays female is a "cis" female then yes you could say her gender is simply female and she's not trans. She's been raised as female all her life so I guess has never transitioned etc.. she's still intersex though. Arguably you could also say that plenty of people who are intersex and identify as a binary gender are "trans" (particularly where there is significant ambiguity or biological aspects of the opposite gender they identify as) as in modern terms their "gender" if matching their sex is perhaps "non binary".

There is quite a high proportion of homosexuality among intersex people IIRC. Caster is in fact married to a woman, and indeed seems to take the "male" role in that relationship. I guess this shouldn't be too surprising, most biological males are attracted to females:

EtjBOs4.jpg

I think overall her position is an incredibly selfish one, she knows and has known for years that she's essentially a man without a penis but has been happy to carry on competing as a female and actively fought to keep the male advantage she has while robbing women of their place on the podium.

Apologies i havent read all 14 pages of this thread but does this person have a vagina or not? Does this person have functioning breasts? Is this person capable of giving birth?

Almost certainly not capable of giving birth, allegedly no womb or ovaries either... unlikely to have functioning breasts. She is seemingly mostly a male whose sexual organ didn't properly develop ergo she has no penis and her balls didn't drop but are internal.

She won the 800M in Doha by a length today.

Yup, also Sharp who perhaps would have got herself a bronze medal in Rio if it weren't for the dropping of testosterone levels was in the same race:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48153742

Sharp, 28, told BBC Sport she had received death threats as a result of previous comments she had made about Semenya's "advantage".

"I've known Caster since 2008, it's something I've been familiar with over the past 11 years," she said

"No-one benefits from this situation - of course she doesn't benefit, but it's not me versus her, it's not us versus them.

"I've had death threats. I've had threats against my family and that's not a position I want to be in, it's really unfortunate the way it's played out.

"By no means am I over the moon about this, it's just been a long 11 years for everyone."

Likewise, i haven't read the entire thread but is there anything medically that makes them female if they don't have female reproductive organs?

Doesn't seem to be much AFAIK other than the fact key male attributes didn't develop properly and she's been raised as a female as a result of her condition.

Well they're not forcing her to do that, it is her choice to compete, but I do agree that it isn't something they should encourage, ideally she and other intersex athletes simply shouldn't be allowed to compete in the female category.

One solution is to have the "male" category redesignated as an "open" category, another would be to have a third intersex and trans category, or perhaps a seperate trans and intersex games just like the paralympics etc.. (or perhaps even combined with events like that).

Though I guess it has been hard enough to get the evidence needed simply to show a clear advantage in middle distance events, arguments about rather more subtile advantages in other events are going to be harder to demonstrate.

I find this article quite interesting; have the Fatima Whitbreads of the past dodged a bullet?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...athletics-south-african-ethics-sport-science?

Well no, she’s a (biological) woman. That article isn’t interesting it is the usual misleading stuff with the flawed comparisons. A woman can have natural high testosterone for a woman or long legs etc...

The issue is intersex people who identify as female while being biologically male. If they don’t suppress their testosterone levels then they can be the equivalent of a good club/national level in terms of males and end up beating professional females.

Back
Top Bottom