Cat C issue

Caporegime
My brother went to look at a car today, a 2002 Corsa for 1k.

He liked the car. There was the odd few dinks, but nothing major and it ran fine. 12 months MOT and 6 months tax. He left a £300 deposit.

When he was home, he ran a check on it and it came up as a cat c write off. Being his first car, he doesn't really want a write off. The seller never told him it was a cat C. He is pleading ignorance to the whole thing. Has he got any legal right to keep my brothers money or is he obliged to return it?

Soldato
He has classed him self as a trader, check if he bought the car trade (he will have the whole log book) if he is trade tell him to **** off and give your money back or you will call trading standards.

If he is private (not likley) then make your self not worth the money via being a pain in the bum.

Soldato
What an awful advert. Definitely recommend you take someone along who is familiar with car stuff next time. You do not want that car

Man of Honour
Blooming heck can't believe anyone went to see a car with an advert like that.

But if he is declaring himself a trader then tell him you expect the money back or well report him to trading standards.

Man of Honour
It's not as described so private or trader if you ask for a refund they have to give it to you.

Actually it IS 'as described' - there is very little description so provided it is indeed a 1.0i 12v with 6 months MOT and some tax, it's as described.

The Cat C thing is different to whether the car is 'as described'.

Soldato
Wow, I can't think of a worse car to go and look at never mind buy. It also seems expensive considering my friend and I managed to buy a 2005 Corsa 1.4 (with 80k) for £1800, for his girlfriend.

Top Bottom