Caterham Time…!

Soldato
Looks lovely, congrats!

I have a garage but there’s no way I could use it for a car since it’s full of bikes etc. What’s so bad about keeping one of these outside under a car cover?

Don
Looks lovely, congrats!

I have a garage but there’s no way I could use it for a car since it’s full of bikes etc. What’s so bad about keeping one of these outside under a car cover?
Unless you're particularly hardcore, you won't be using it during late autumn, winter and early spring. That could mean up to 6 months sat under a car cover not being used, which generally comes with a whole bunch of issues related to damage from damp / condensation and degradation to the rubbery bits (thats before you even consider bodywork damage from being sat under a car covering through winter storms etc too)

Soldato
Unless you're particularly hardcore, you won't be using it during late autumn, winter and early spring. That could mean up to 6 months sat under a car cover not being used, which generally comes with a whole bunch of issues related to damage from damp / condensation and degradation to the rubbery bits (thats before you even consider bodywork damage from being sat under a car covering through winter storms etc too)

Ah okay, thanks. Sounds like it's a case of "man up" and use it, or not have one if you can't keep it inside.

A friend and I rented a 310S SV at Donnington in 2018 and I've never been able to shake the desire to have one since.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjt
Don
Ah okay, thanks. Sounds like it's a case of "man up" and use it, or not have one if you can't keep it inside.

A friend and I rented a 310S SV at Donnington in 2018 and I've never been able to shake the desire to have one since.
It's not a case of it being too cold (although it is, especially as many cars don't have a heater) but too dangerous too when the roads are so slippy, particularly in autumn when the roads are wet and covered in leaves. Sideways on every roundabout even at normal speeds loses its appeal very quickly. You could probably mitigate that by having a separate set of winter wheels, but then you've got to store them too.

Soldato
It's not a case of it being too cold (although it is, especially as many cars don't have a heater) but too dangerous too when the roads are so slippy, particularly in autumn when the roads are wet and covered in leaves. Sideways on every roundabout even at normal speeds loses its appeal very quickly. You could probably mitigate that by having a separate set of winter wheels, but then you've got to store them too.

It’s easier to store a set of wheels than a car though :)

A friend of a friend recently bought a stunning red and yellow 420S SV which isn’t helping my yearning!

Reactions: mjt
Soldato
OP
Don’t forget they’re not really mass produced every day cars with decades of advancement in rustproofing etc, designed for driving through the winter weather day in, day out.

It’s a mild steel tubular frame (powdercoated, yes, but it can and will chip) which is going to be particularly susceptible to the winter salt on the roads. I don’t plan on driving mine through the winter!

Soldato
Don’t forget they’re not really mass produced every day cars with decades of advancement in rustproofing etc, designed for driving through the winter weather day in, day out.

It’s a mild steel tubular frame (powdercoated, yes, but it can and will chip) which is going to be particularly susceptible to the winter salt on the roads. I don’t plan on driving mine through the winter!

Seems like a shame not to use it for half the year :/ Can they not be weather sealed?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Seems like a shame not to use it for half the year :/ Can they not be weather sealed?
I used mine all year around. Wore a proper hat, scarf and gloves and it was fine. Didn't take it out if there was salt on the roads, but a bit of frost was fine. Mine was only a 1.6 with 135bhp, so it wouldn't really slide around unprovoked.
Wouldn't want to mess around in a 620 in those conditions, but the lesser models are fine!

Soldato
OP
They can - in that you could liberally coat the chassis tubes in waxoyl (or similar)… but you’ve still got the various grit traps where the aluminium skin is folded and riveted, around the chassis. Any salt getting in there is only going to accelerate the bi-metallic corrosion.

You can use them all year round, but I’d wager even a 3 or 4 year old car used year round is going to be in a worse state than a 20 year old car that’s garaged and only used in the dry.

Soldato
That looks amazing.

I always look at these and think "I really need to own a Seven at some point"...then remember how little I used my Elise and realise it'll probably just end up as as garage ornament :D

Soldato
They can - in that you could liberally coat the chassis tubes in waxoyl (or similar)… but you’ve still got the various grit traps where the aluminium skin is folded and riveted, around the chassis. Any salt getting in there is only going to accelerate the bi-metallic corrosion.

You can use them all year round, but I’d wager even a 3 or 4 year old car used year round is going to be in a worse state than a 20 year old car that’s garaged and only used in the dry.

Thanks for the info. So much to think about. These cars are so appealing because of the excitement they offer, whilst not crippling you with harsh depreciation.

I guess the sensible thing is to get something like an Elise S3, but I can’t imagine it gives you even half of the fizz.

Back
Top Bottom