Caught by X5 speeding!

Soldato
I had something like this a month or 2 ago, following a Focus ST Estate. Started having a bit of fun with it (which they encouraged by trying to get up my chuff) then later on down the road I pulled in to get fuel, the Focus then pulled in for me to then notice it was 3 undercover police :rolleyes: whoops. They were looking at my car & probably checking insurance as it's all modified and stripped out.

They didn't say anything however and I heared nothing about it. Considering I was close to double the speed limit I thought I was screwed. Lucky escape.

Happened to me once when joining the M25 on a long sliproad. I gave it a bit of power (still well within the speed limit) and a silver S3 pulled out in front of me and also booted it. I thought it’d be funny to stay with him all the way onto the motorway, which I did, all the way up to about 120MPH at which point the blue lights came on in his rear window and I thought I was in rather a lot of trouble.

He didn’t even bother stopping me, just pulled alongside me once I’d slowed down and gave me the “you ******* idiot” look. The same car pulled a friend of mine a couple of weeks later and was a lot less forgiving, think I was very lucky that day!

Soldato
I had an unmarked car behind me on the A14, I was doing my usual 95mph if conditions allow (it was a warm sunny day the the road was very quiet) and this car slowly came up behind me, I let him pass because I don't exceed 100mph generally in a car ever, anyway, as he went past he flashed his lights, I think it was to say, we are watching you, kinda thing, I backed off a little and then he pulled off up a slip road and I never heard anything more.

Soldato
I was driving down my usual commute from work recently, doing around the speed limit behind this unmarked Astra Estate. As soon as I indicated to overtake and put my foot down, he flashed his lights, resulting in me merging back into the "slow lane". :D

Soldato
Happened to me once when joining the M25 on a long sliproad. I gave it a bit of power (still well within the speed limit) and a silver S3 pulled out in front of me and also booted it. I thought it’d be funny to stay with him all the way onto the motorway, which I did, all the way up to about 120MPH at which point the blue lights came on in his rear window and I thought I was in rather a lot of trouble.

He didn’t even bother stopping me, just pulled alongside me once I’d slowed down and gave me the “you ******* idiot” look. The same car pulled a friend of mine a couple of weeks later and was a lot less forgiving, think I was very lucky that day!
The problem is, if you had a dash cam, and he decided to book you.. he would be in hot water as he shouldn't have been doing those speed without his lights going... So yes, what else are they going to do?

Soldato
The problem is, if you had a dash cam, and he decided to book you.. he would be in hot water as he shouldn't have been doing those speed without his lights going... So yes, what else are they going to do?
As I've previously said, yes they can. Under quite a few circumstances it is operationally better to run silent and dark. Usually for evidence gathering or whilst tailing a suspect with a violent flag and awaiting backup arrival to pull a stop.

Maybe not in this circumstance but it is allowed.

Soldato

They can do any speed they want without lights as far as I know? I'd have thought all he'd need to prove was that my standard of driving fell below that of a careful, competent driver, which it very clearly did :p

Soldato

Tell that to a guy round my way who got done for driving up to 92 or so on the A5, which was evidenced by the dashcam footage from an unmarked police car that actually went faster than the so called perp at times in order to keep up :rolleyes:

Soldato
They are allowed to run "silent & dark" and exceed the speed in certain circumstances.

There is no requirement to use lights and sirens for any scenario, it's personal justification. If you have an accident and they weren't on, it's up to you to justify why you weren't using them.

Man of Honour
As I've previously said, yes they can. Under quite a few circumstances it is operationally better to run silent and dark. Usually for evidence gathering or whilst tailing a suspect with a violent flag and awaiting backup arrival to pull a stop.

Maybe not in this circumstance but it is allowed.

I've seen it a few times around the M3 to A303 transition heading to the South West - usually can tell who they are eyeing up long before they pull em and definitely at times doing quite some speed without lights or siren.

It's when you don't notice they tend to get upset. A hard stare works wonders, and is less work and hassle for all concerned.

Probably as much as anything it is a comeback thing - if there was ever any questions over it they could say they gave a warning, etc.

Soldato
I've seen it a few times around the M3 to A303 transition heading to the South West - usually can tell who they are eyeing up long before they pull em and definitely at times doing quite some speed without lights or siren.

Probably as much as anything it is a comeback thing - if there was ever any questions over it they could say they gave a warning, etc.

I'm not sure why it's such a myth - blue lights and sirens are not a pre-requisite to claiming exemptions from the law.

Soldato
Great 1st post on a computer forum, I think they have to pull you over to issue a ticket in this instance, normally it would be a static gun on the side of the road as I'm not sure of the accuracy of a radar gun from a moving vehicle.

They don't need to pull you over, a NIP in the post within 14 days would suffice. They also don't need a radar gun, following you for a designated distance and their statement is enough for that.

Soldato
Sounds like that might fall apart if challenged.

Why would that be the case? They're using a calibrated speedo. They do it all the time to catch people speeding, they need to follow you for at least 0.2 miles.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/002029401104400804

If you go flying past a cop car are you saying that they can't charge you for speeding without racing ahead of you, stopping, setting up a speed trap and then recording your speed that way?

Back
Top Bottom