CBT

Associate
Passed it today on a geared 125. Safe to say I'm chuffed haha
Haven't been on two wheels for about 10 years and that was on a 50cc ped at 16-17 years old.
Went well though, didn't stall which I was surprised at but looking forward to a few years on a 125 now.

Any tips to a new rider, I've got the gear such as helmet, jacket, trousers and gloves but do need some footwear?
Also bike security? At home it will be in a locked garage with a car in front which will be backed up to stop the garage door from opening but any suggestions at all, also for security when out at work or if I stop off somewhere etc

Soldato
Congratulations. :) Tough leather boots will be ok, you can buy them cheap enough, not sure about bike security, I don’t use any. :)

Soldato
I want a full license so i can go on motorways and have more power but i'd also like to get a 125 so i can get on a bike right away after cbt since i'm not sure how soon i'll be able to get my full license.

I've had a look at those Hondas, they look great.

Is your brand new or does it have a few miles on it?, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?.

Associate
OP
I want a full license so i can go on motorways and have more power but i'd also like to get a 125 so i can get on a bike right away after cbt since i'm not sure how soon i'll be able to get my full license.

I've had a look at those Hondas, they look great.

Is your brand new or does it have a few miles on it?, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?.
I'm in a similar mind set, hopefully within the year I'll do my full test but might give it the 2 years on the 125, getting some experience with a smaller bike can't be a bad thing.
I went around all the Honda dealers in Tyneside and teeside and everywhere had them at £3989, which is expensive for a 125 but I love the look and feel of it so I don't mind, I'd be less likely to keep it the 2 years if I didn't like the look of it. Manages to find one at a dealer who had ordered one in for a customer who them changed his mind so they pre registered it, only 2 miles on the clock for £3700.

But the do look great, feels great to sit on etc, nice and light

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll be fine in a garage.

I leave the keys in mine saves the barrel getting worn.

As for when your out, ideally need to chain it to something, does it have any room under the seat where you can keep a chain?

It really depends where you live, if your gonna be regularly parking it outside shops etc

Associate
OP
Well been talking to a friend this morning and he has a spare anchor that you fix to the ground, so that and a decent chain should do me for at home in the garage. Storage wise there's nothing aside from a tiny compartment under the pillion seat, could probably fit a disc lock in there

Soldato
There isn’t really a pass or fail with CBT. It’s not an exam or test, unlike Mod1 and Mod1 which are. But well done all the same. Start of a great journey :)

Soldato
Well been talking to a friend this morning and he has a spare anchor that you fix to the ground, so that and a decent chain should do me for at home in the garage. Storage wise there's nothing aside from a tiny compartment under the pillion seat, could probably fit a disc lock in there

I think that is overkill if the bike is in a locked garage, but... If you can be bothered to chain/unchain it every time, it certainly can't hurt.

Soldato
For at home security (garage) I use a heavy duty chain, anchor and a disk lock :)

When I'm out.....I don't park in any dodgy areas and just use the disk lock.

Associate
OP
For at home security (garage) I use a heavy duty chain, anchor and a disk lock :)

When I'm out.....I don't park in any dodgy areas and just use the disk lock.
Sound about right, I'd rather be over cautious at home and not regret it. Hopefully I can fit a disk lock under that seat then.

What sort of recommendations do you guys have for footwear, most of the bikes usage will be to commute to work but with the odd ride out at the weekend

Caporegime
Where do you live? Where is your bike parked? What are the odds of it being nicked and how much of a hot bike is it (a CG125 will never get nicked, an MT125 will be nicked in a day)?

If you just want to say "**** it" and get the best, then either a Pragmasis Protector chain or Almax will do with a good padlock like a Squire. Disc locks are deterrents but a bike on a skateboard is easily wheeled away. Make sure you chain an integral part of the bike to something solid, you need to eliminate weak links. A wheel is easily removed and stolen from another bike so chain through the frame or similar is best. Lamp posts are good for anchors, wood is easily sawed through.

As mentioned it depends on your circumstances, risk appetite and budget. Don't scrimp, it'll cost you in the long run.

Soldato
Clothing is all very personal. Personally I'd never ride my Speed Triple without full boots with ankle supports, but that's just me and people do what they feel comfortable with.

Proper boots for a 125 may be overkill :)

Associate
OP
Soldato
I may just get a 125 and still get my A license, take of the plates and use it until i'm sick of it and need something bigger.

I've just put in an offer for a 2016 Yamaha WR125R with only 865 miles on it, looks to be in fantastic condition.

I've never bought a bike online before and not sure how the payment would work, do i make the payment when the bike is loaded onto the courier van to avoid getting ripped off or what?.

Back
Top Bottom