CCNA or MCSE?

Soldato
What kind of routers? Got the CCNA book already so just need to get into a higher gear than I'm in now and actually start learning/revising/booking exams. :)

Pretty sure they are 2600 series (I have them in loft atm), I actually bought an ADSL WIC as well and used it as my home router lol, didnt go down well with g/f tho lol. I also bought the Wendell Odom and Todd Lammle books.

Caporegime
I`ve did MCSA and CCNA, for me CCNA is way more worthy, buy the books and self study is the way to go IMHO, I also bought a couple of routers and a 2950 for hands on tho thats not strictly necessary.
Which books would you recommend? I'm reading through a Sybex one at present, and it's a good read but I'm not sure its detailed enough.

Soldato
Which books would you recommend? I'm reading through a Sybex one at present, and it's a good read but I'm not sure its detailed enough.

The Cisco press Certification guide. It will be specific for the most recent CCNA exam code.

A couple of 2500's and a copy of the Boson CCNA tester wouldn't go amiss either.

Soldato
Sounds like OP wants to be doing a CCNA if he wants to get into networking.

Tbh, instead of MCSE now, I'd be looking at MCITP: Enterprise which is basically the same thing except its for the 2008 server.

Even if you currently use 2003 it's all very similar and you are better off being ahead of the game than behind it, tbh.

Caporegime
Sorry to jump on the OPs thread but this might be of interest.

A couple of 2500's and a copy of the Boson CCNA tester wouldn't go amiss either.
Just having a look around various places:

Why 2600XM routers?

* Inter-VLAN routing (not supported in 2500 series)
* Support for Cisco SDM GUI configuration tool
* Support for Advanced Security VPN IOS
* Modularity for future expansion (for CCNP/CCIE)
* Support for ALL Routing protocols
* Support for MPLS (for CCNP/CCIE)

Why 2610 routers?

* Inter-VLAN routing (not supported in 2500 series)
* Support for Advanced Security VPN IOS
* Modularity for future expansion (for CCNP/CCIE)
* Support for ALL Routing protocols
* Support for MPLS (for CCNP/CCIE)

Why 2900XL switches?

* Modern Fast Ethernet IOS switch (1900 is Ethernet non-IOS switch)
* Near complete command set as tested by Cisco
* 802.1q and ISL support for VLAN trunking and routing
* STP, PVST, HSRP, 802.1p QoS, and Fast Etherchannel

These guys don't seem to recommend 2500 series switches.

Associate
im my experience, having managed and worked with 100+ consultants, many MCSE and CCIE,CCNA etc. The qualifications pail into insignificance if you have no common sense or initiative.

Admittedly, you need them to get "on the ladder" but I'd say having the aptitude is what will set you apart. A lot more to it than exams.

Soldato
Pretty sure they are 2600 series (I have them in loft atm), I actually bought an ADSL WIC as well and used it as my home router lol, didnt go down well with g/f tho lol. I also bought the Wendell Odom and Todd Lammle books.
Cheers. So if I got some kit and connected them to each other, would they need to be connected to my network? Or could I get my old spare PC out and connect to that?

MCSE is worth plenty to an employer.

CCNA + MCSE is a great thing to see on a CV.
Yeah. :) Having graduated last summer I've a lack of experience AND industry qualifications. If I can get a CCNA and either MCSE/A or MCIPT onto my CV then along with my current job I can hopefully start to move up the career ladder. :)

Associate
CCNA - The praticals are fantastic :) I've done Level 1 - 4 when I was at uni, got a good little job doing some networking for the local colleges, schools.... Im now running my own computer shop and do in home and business network installs.... the CCNA course helped me loads. :)

Soldato

I had CCNA 1&2 and CCNA 3&4 Networking Academy program Companion Guides, these were superb and very detailed. I used Wendell Odom one and Todd Lammle (Sybex) one to revise and recertify.

Soldato
The problem with the CCNA is whenever I hear of it I instantly think:

C_A.gif

Back
Top Bottom