CCNA or MCSE?

Soldato
u can have it either way, convenient to have them connected to ure network tho
Just needs to be connected to any computer then? Gives me a use for my old PC then. :) Presume it's easier to play with the kit if it's all connected to a PC rather than acting as a standalone network?

I had CCNA 1&2 and CCNA 3&4 Networking Academy program Companion Guides, these were superb and very detailed. I used Wendell Odom one and Todd Lammle (Sybex) one to revise and recertify.
The Wendell Odom one - is that the official Cisco CCNA book you have or an additional one he's written to support the official book?

Soldato
Just needs to be connected to any computer then? Gives me a use for my old PC then. :) Presume it's easier to play with the kit if it's all connected to a PC rather than acting as a standalone network?

The Wendell Odom one - is that the official Cisco CCNA book you have or an additional one he's written to support the official book?

You will configure ure router/switch via 'console' cable initially, after that you just telnet.

Yes the Odom one is a Cisco Press one but the one I have is for the ICND exam which is whats required to recertify.

Soldato
Cheers. Think I need to look at where and when I can take the CCNA exams then get the equipment for that. Also going to look at MCITP stuff as well and see what books/equipment I need for that and get learning! :)

I see you are on MSN. Permission to add you if I need more advice? :)

Soldato
Cheers. Think I need to look at where and when I can take the CCNA exams then get the equipment for that. Also going to look at MCITP stuff as well and see what books/equipment I need for that and get learning! :)

I see you are on MSN. Permission to add you if I need more advice? :)

i`m pretty much never on msn nowadays but u can drop me a mail anytime np on ian at ayrshire dot myzen dot co dot uk :)

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi guys well i've been to my local college and they are doing the cisco course but its 1900 over 2 years course i don't know if that is inc everything routers etc? as i understand the quallification lasts 3 years?

Prepares students for two different Cisco certifications exams. After completing the first two courses (Networking for home and small business, to a small-medium business and ISP), a student has the option to take the CCENT Exam. CCENT certifies the practical skills required for entry-level IT positions. This Cert demonstrates a student’s aptitude and competence to work in an environment that features Cisco networking devices and software. CCENT is an optional first step towards earning Cisco CCNA.

From my college course guide

Last edited:
Associate
im *almost* ready to do my ccna exam, aiming for mid october.

been saying i will do ccna now for the past 6 years... this is my third time prep'ing for it.

I am using the cisco ccna semester lab books from a friend which are excellent for hands on labs, packet tracker 5 for simulation, train signal for 'lectures', official cisco wendell odom book for when im on the throne, and have used youtube vids to explain spanning tree.

ccna to me looks harder than the ccnp exams! Its more the width of knowledge required than the depth.

If your not using cisco kit every day, you will struggle unless you use the simulator.

I had the choice between MCSE (or its modern day equivalent) and CCNA... to me, networking is more fun and enjoyable and therefore, I am more likely to pursue it in my own time.

Good luck with your studies :)

Associate
another quick tip - you can get away with using packet tracer for everything on the ccna, bar some stuff like port security and dhcp.

I have access to tons of proper kit. I have a lab set up with about 30 switches and routers of various ages, some brand new, some ancient. But this is more of a hinderance than a help.

For ccna, in my opinion, its good to have hands on with real kit, its good for confidence and for layer 1 cabling and troubleshooting.

However, swapping cables about and reconfiguring IP addresses etc is sooooooo much easier in a simulator. After all, your time is probably limited and it can be better spent doing labs instead of setting them up!

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
i'm really in 2 minds about the CCNA the course starts on wednesday and i have to pay £500 up front for the 1st 6months , which is going to be hard to get i get paid monthly + xmas is coming and whatnot... either i goto college or i have no idea what my options are

Permabanned
theres really no reson to pay for it, get the books, a good net sim and work from home, thats how most people i know with it did it, you could have it in 6months if u do a couple of hours a night 4 or 5 nights a week.

Soldato
I'd be adding VCP onto that shopping list. People who have Cisco, MS and VMware are pretty in demand. You don't even need to be hands on in all three, just know what to ask of the people tha are.

Soldato
theres really no reson to pay for it, get the books, a good net sim and work from home, thats how most people i know with it did it, you could have it in 6months if u do a couple of hours a night 4 or 5 nights a week.

If you have an IT background or even half a brain i would be amazed if a CCNA took 6months.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi all,

I didn't go to college in the end they wanted £1900 and thats without hardware or software (books etc) and they wanted £500 up front , which i didn't have! So i'm still stuck in a rutt!

Back
Top Bottom