CCTV storage.

Man of Honour
My son is getting a CCTV system linked below and it's says the storage can be expanded with another 4tb hard drive.

7200rpm v 5400rpm is this important for a 16 camera system?

Does the hard drive need to be special hard drive like the Toshiba s300 or standard drive as I have a spare drive he could use?

Will a 3.5" usb caddy be fine as there is a spare usb input ?.

Any reccomendedations/advice welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
How much data he wants to keep for review at a later time? You need to work out if your regular HDD will cope with the reads/writes.
I've set a system up recently, where on ~10 4k cameras, with even 7-14d of recording, we had to go to enterprise level drive (Toshiba MG) to ensure data was not going to get screwed up by a bad drive.
Most system use one of the three Western Digital (Purple), Seagate (SkyHawk), Toshiba (S300 or MG)

There is some calculators online to work out with how many cameras and what quality you will get certain amount of data written - then check the TB/year workload to see if regular drive is ok to cope.

Man of Honour
OP
How much data he wants to keep for review at a later time? You need to work out if your regular HDD will cope with the reads/writes.
I've set a system up recently, where on ~10 4k cameras, with even 7-14d of recording, we had to go to enterprise level drive (Toshiba MG) to ensure data was not going to get screwed up by a bad drive.
Most system use one of the three Western Digital (Purple), Seagate (SkyHawk), Toshiba (S300 or MG)

There is some calculators online to work out with how many cameras and what quality you will get certain amount of data written - then check the TB/year workload to see if regular drive is ok to cope.
Tx for the info will look into this further.

The above system has 16 cameras and will be used in a pub so I'm guessing all the cameras be on at the same time.

Video capture resolution states ‎2160p

Associate
16 cameras, running with best compression and highest video quality for this kind of setup seems to be estimating 3TB/day or recording..
Most of systems are clever enough these days to reduce fps or scene quality for 24/7 recording when scenes appear near static (say out of hours) so it would still save some GB, but this one is going to need a fair bit of storage or scaling down on quality where it doesn't matter so much. I would be looking at 8TB+ Toshiba MG for this personally.

Man of Honour
OP
16 cameras, running with best compression and highest video quality for this kind of setup seems to be estimating 3TB/day or recording..
Most of systems are clever enough these days to reduce fps or scene quality for 24/7 recording when scenes appear near static (say out of hours) so it would still save some GB, but this one is going to need a fair bit of storage or scaling down on quality where it doesn't matter so much. I would be looking at 8TB+ Toshiba MG for this personally.
The system runs for 3tb hard drive with 4tb expansion , could you take a look at the link to it please to see what you think.

I'll have a chat with my son to see how many camera's he's going to run.

Tx for your help.

Soldato
I run my CCTV on Synology Surveillance Station with 4x 4TB WD Reds. I think they are 5400rpm. Seems to run perfect, although I do have a 1TB SSD cache.

Soldato
Regarding the rotational speeds of the drives, I'd say 7,200RPM or more would be more would only be needed for servers or for people who want a fast hard drive. Slower RPM shouldn't/won't affect CCTV systems a great deal, other than providing less heat which translates to a longer drive lifespan.

I'm not suggesting you install noisy and powerful fans, but I would certainly install some just to help keep the system cool. The cooler the drives are kept, the longer they'll live.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom