Chain Cleaning/Maintenance

Associate
For ages I've used Muc-Off on my mountain bikes and was considering the same for my ZX-6R, but after a quick read of the manual it states

"CAUTION
The O-rings between the side plates seal in the lubricant between the pin and the bushing. To avoid damaging the O-rings and resultant loss of lubricant, observe the following rules. Use only kerosene or diesel oil for cleaning of the
O-ring of the drive chain. Any other cleaning solution such as gasoline will cause deterioration and swelling of the O-ring. Immediately blow the chain dry with compressed air after cleaning. Complete cleaning and drying the chain within 10 minutes."

Where would I get Kerosene from?

Soldato
Assume you would just clean the chain to get rid of all the crud that it collects. Depends on how you clean it, it will do it good and prolong the life of the chain. Salt and dirt will damage the chain eventually if not cleaned.

I want to clean mine so I can get the rear sprocket to silver metal again and notc covered in black crap.

Soldato
Gear oil can confirm... Nightmare.

I ended up spending ages cleaning it off the back wheel and when warmed up it also flung forward onto the exhaust mid section and burnt on.

Not recommended.

I'm using WD40 cleaner and summer (dry weather) cleaner and lubricant currently.

Associate
I use chainsaw oil, very sticky lubes the chain well and the bottles lasted over 4 years :)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/chainsaw-lubrication-oil?da=1&TC=SRC-chainsaw oil

051130201.jpg

Soldato
I use WD40 (which is against recommendations) and GUNK, slap on the nice golden Renthal chain and use a tooth brush and quickly go over it... rinse off and then apply Wurth's chain lube. My Sports Sprox rear sprocket and chain look epic. I don't like oil and crap on my stuff.

All of this is done while on a paddock stand for hand rotation of the rear wheel. When applying the Wurths I tend to start bike put in 1st gear and run for a minute or two... warm the chain slightly, then leave it running in 1st pulling the chain through then (CAREFULLY) just spray keeping fingers etc well away from the chain (use the WD40 extender/straw applicator thingy). That way it's working it's way in nice and slowly. LAl this takes 20 minutes form start to finish once every say 400-500 miles?

I've seen a lot of pictures of people taking their fingers off doing moving chains etc... KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THE CHAIN IF RUNNING IN GEAR!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom