Change in Career due to Covid redundancy

Man of Honour
Maybe have a look at what people do when leaving the military as it's the closest sort of scenario I can think of. What you often see on training courses is a lot of people reaching the end of their time in the military, and using their training credits to get a qualification which they then take forward and land a job somewhere.

Have you considered something like Project Management? Many years ago I did PRINCE2 training with ex-military including pilots.

Soldato
Sorry to hear of the ****uation that is piloting/aviation atm. There's some god advice here, particularly the above, but some bad too.

The "I've always wanted/like the idea of/etc... of running my own business" line always rings alarm bells for me. I run my own business and I didn't intend to. I think the same could be said for a lot that do. Those who did that have goal and have 'made' it will have a discernible niche or passion, along with all the other things required.

I'm not saying you can't, but if you'd said "I've always wanted to do a brewery" or something akin to that, we're on to something. It's the vagueness of it that would make me question why. Feel free to answer that!

Unlike most of military you're also coming from a decent salary so that's the pickle there. Do you want to do a well paid job or just happy to do something you enjoy or gain a new skill in the meantime? I doubt in 3 years you'll be making anywhere near your salary from running your own business, 30k pa if you're lucky.

Soldato
I was made redundant earlier in the year after 20 years in pharma. I've decided to retrain as an electrician. Initially it was just for personal interest but, TBH, the sort of roles that I'm interested in are rare and being a spark in interesting, varied and (to my pleasant surprise) I'm good at it. So, that's my new direction.
My degree, doctorate and experience don't really matter much when I had to spend the last few is doing pointless work that I didn't find fulfilling at all.
Good luck with whatever you decide, OP. If it electrical work, I'd be happy to chat about my experiences.

Soldato
Maybe have a look at what people do when leaving the military as it's the closest sort of scenario I can think of. What you often see on training courses is a lot of people reaching the end of their time in the military, and using their training credits to get a qualification which they then take forward and land a job somewhere.

Have you considered something like Project Management? Many years ago I did PRINCE2 training with ex-military including pilots.

I'd recommend something like this too. Maybe get a Scrum Master cert and start there. Always contract roles for them for you to start off with.

Back
Top Bottom