Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
OP
The principle of this seems fair but the lack of warning is ridiculous - your post states that you would warn people but you haven’t?

I’m literally on the verge of confirming a transaction in the MM, am I meant to now randomly spam 15 messages just to get access back fast enough to be able to continue a conversation I was already halfway through? It’s silly

Doing something like this without warning is, frankly, ridiculous… did you forget that people might be midway through a transaction?
You’ve had over three months notice about this. We deliberately gave members that amount of notice so that everyone is aware.

It’s not our fault you didn’t read that huge notice that’s been at the top of every MM forum since 21st August last year.

Soldato
I tend to lurk and not comment a huge amount these days and therefore can see my access was removed.

It is a fair decision as it restricts access really only to active members.

Soldato
Would be interested to know what the actual problem being solved is... I've been a member for 13 years and have 2222 posts, which is an average of 14 posts per month -- but that fluctuates *a lot* depending how busy I am with work and life, and what interesting (or not) topics I come across. In reality does forcing someone to an artificial "15 posts per 90 days" make the tiniest iota of a difference to someone that is actively trying to scam the system? All it's going to do for me is force me to go and post until my count is back up, not natural posts (I think 2222 posts is more than enough evidence of good faith over 13 years). I'm assuming there's a genuine problem that this is trying to solve, but a bit of a weird one for me.
Similar postion, I only post when I have something to actually contribute rather than just a message for the sake of it. I do read a lot, just not posting that often. I don't agree with it and it makes my presence kind of feel unwelcome. If this is what has been decided then I guess I will just post more drivle.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Oh and one other comment: the (very occasional) stuff I sell on MM is in my opinion genuinely in the service of the Overclockers community. Sure I make a few ££, but in reality it's pennies compared to the worth of my time to go through the process, and I know there's always going to be an enthusiast (probably much younger than I am) who doesn't need the latest tech. It's certainly *never* stuff that is in any way competing with OC's business.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It does feel that this is going to see a lot of useless comments added to posts by lurkers just to retain access.

^

Irony at its finest
Agreed (I'm making a point, here).

Soldato
It does feel that this is going to see a lot of useless comments added to posts by lurkers just to retain access.

^

Irony at its finest

Or it may just start making people engage more, and therefore making the community stronger with more balance and help from others rather than just current regulars. Also 1 post every week isn't a lot of useless comments, it would be the equivalent of one daft GD thread every month.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Or it may just start making people engage more, and therefore making the community stronger with more balance and help from others rather than just current regulars. Also 1 post every week isn't a lot of useless comments, it would be the equivalent of one daft GD thread every month.
I don't think it would take more than 15 minutes to quickly flick through one of the busier forums and make a quick comment on 15 threads. So if you are in any way "not genuine" or "scamming" then who benefitted vs the damage caused (re significantly less potential buyers)?

Its going to limit the availability of potential buyers. Do u get instant access back when you hit the target posts?
Good point!

Soldato
I admit to not posting much, but I do lurk and read the forums a lot and have been like that since I joined in 2003. I do enjoy the MM so I'll start posting a bit more, I guess. It does seem akin to writing 'lines' at school and I'm not sure how much value it will add but time will tell.

Soldato
Would be interested to know what the actual problem being solved is... I've been a member for 13 years and have 2222 posts, which is an average of 14 posts per month -- but that fluctuates *a lot* depending how busy I am with work and life, and what interesting (or not) topics I come across. In reality does forcing someone to an artificial "15 posts per 90 days" make the tiniest iota of a difference to someone that is actively trying to scam the system? All it's going to do for me is force me to go and post until my count is back up, not natural posts (I think 2222 posts is more than enough evidence of good faith over 13 years). I'm assuming there's a genuine problem that this is trying to solve, but a bit of a weird one for me.

Edit: to say I'm not ungrateful, this is a free service that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of over the years, and am very appreciative of that. But I also feel like I'm a genuine member, so in a way it feels like I'm being excluded now because I'm not "active enough".

Sums up how I feel

I used to be far more active on the forums before taking a break from building computers, since coming back after a 10 year break, I've now just mostly lurked - but OCUK has still been my no1 place to go.

I would have assumed/hoped that the 90 day rolling period wouldn't have needed to apply for long term members, but given how the decision was to make everyone equal ... I'll just have to spam GD with 15 replies every so often in order to get the necessary post count to browse and occasionally buy stuff from MM.

Unfortunately I just don't have time in my life at the moment to be spending time browsing forums - I don't find it relaxing after a long day at work.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it would take more than 15 minutes to quickly flick through one of the busier forums and make a quick comment on 15 threads. So if you are in any way "not genuine" or "scamming" then who benefitted vs the damage caused (re significantly less potential buyers)?

Because if someone decides to spam posts one every 3 months with 15 posts in a row, you can guarantee they'll just have MM access removed or be banned, as they obviously only stay for the MM not for the community which is the entire point. How does a lurker reading and not posting help the community stay alive, yet they want access to a privileged section because they had it before.

Soldato
I admit to not posting much, but I do lurk and read the forums a lot and have been like that since I joined in 2003. I do enjoy the MM so I'll start posting a bit more, I guess. It does seem akin to writing 'lines' at school and I'm not sure how much value it will add but time will tell.
I must comment on random posts

Associate
The rules keep getting tighter and tighter, soon you won't have large enough community that have access to make the MM worth the time. It's already become much less viable since the last changes.

I have only ever bought one thing from the MM on all my years on here so it's not the end of the world if I lose access.

I'm not sure what problem this is suppose to solve.

Also when you changed GD and other forums to not increase post count that was done on the sly without telling anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom