Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commissario
OP
I made noise about finding out the real reason and I was point blank told (after multiple posts skirting around it) that it was to revive the forums and not to combat scammers.
All we are doing is automating a rule that’s been in place for years and that we used to deal with manually.

I have no idea what you mean by ‘reviving the forums’.

There’s no ulterior motive whatsoever.

Associate
So you went to the effort to interrogate the forum software, but you don't want to contribute to part of the community for a few seconds or a minute a week? Seems like a weird peace IMO.
It’s really strange what an autistic mind will latch onto a decide that it is a worthwhile hill to die on.

It’s not a few seconds or minutes per week, finding a post that you want to engage with, reading through all of the replies to make sure what you’re going to add value add information, it takes time.

Before I get bombarded with ‘you can post in the “now eating” (or similar) thread’ replies, I like content I add to a tech forum to be tech related or topical.

Soldato
To retain access to the MM, you are required to make a minimum of 15 posts in other areas outside MM over a 90 day rolling period in order to retain access.
If anyone is worried about this change as it's effectively forcing you to make a forum post every week whether you have anything to contribute to a topic you're reading or not, you can just post in the random image thread weekly and job done :)

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Quite comical seeing all these old accounts suddenly come to life in this thread when there MM access was removed. Just shows how many people only have an account on here specifically for that privilege.
Wait, so you do want people to post, or you don’t? “These old accounts” comes across *incredibly* patronising.

Also, if “these old accounts” are posting, it’s because we have an opinion. And that is a *good* thing.

Feeling part of a community is a genuine thing, and this is the first time I’ve been made to be felt unwelcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Quite comical seeing all these old accounts suddenly come to life in this thread when there MM access was removed. Just shows how many people only have an account on here specifically for that privilege.
I think it's more a case that a significant amount of forum users don't actually post in the threads they read unless they have something to contribute, so while you think you're seeing old accounts "coming back to life" what you're actually seeing are regularly active accounts making their first post in a while as it's a topic that directly affects them.

I'm sure there's an actual term for it but can't for the life of me remember it, inferring something based on available data that turns out to be incorrect due to the absence of unavailable data.

It's like how a few years back KFC replaced their fries with a new design because two people had tweeted them to say the fries sucked and zero people had told them they were good, so they completely redesigned them and then they found out that most of their customers actually quite liked their original fries and were now vocally unhappy about the inferior replacement, but they had no way of telling that before they made their mistake and there was no turning back.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it's more a case that a significant amount of forum users don't actually post in the threads they read unless they have something to contribute, so while you think you're seeing old accounts "coming back to life" what you're actually seeing are regularly active accounts making their first post outside of the members market in a while as it's a topic that directly affects them.
Probably slightly more accurate with a few additional words :p

Associate
Seems like a good idea. In two minds whether 15 is too low a number or not.
Regardless,

I look forward

to seeing

posts like

this
(Spread over multiple messages) :p

Soldato
The forum tracks who views threads.

You read it on the 4th September.

Hah fair enough, let me change my statement then... I don't remember reading it. If I had read and understood I'm 90% certain I would have made the point that it may not have the effect that you are intending and there are multiple reasons why long standing members might not post anymore.

Being pedantic however, clicking the link != read != understood != remembered. Sadly I have the memory of a gold fish.

I browse because its effortless, contributing in a decent way takes time and mental effort, something I am short of.

Add the fact that GD doesn't count means its even harder, and given I don't tinker with PCs anymore (other than an UnRAID server which was setup and forget) means the number of forums I can actually make a contribution to is tiny.

So sadly I think after 20 years, I'm out, but maybe its time to move on anyway :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom