Changes I would like to see in F1

Associate
7 and 8 won't work because there's always a 'best' and fastest strategy and most teams will always use this. This was why the rule was introduced in the first place.

8 would work if they were aloud to run new engines and as much fuel as they wanted. There would times that one car is going flat out full race and another car running light on fuel and trying to make it work. It makes options at least.

Don
8 would work if they were aloud to run new engines and as much fuel as they wanted. There would times that one car is going flat out full race and another car running light on fuel and trying to make it work. It makes options at least.

I think the point is everyone runs computer models that would always converge on the "fastest" option - everyone would likely do the same so there wouldn't really be any options

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I chucked those options in because it bugs me when a team are comfortably doing 40 laps on the super soft and boom... they’re pitting for ultra softs because of the stupid 2 compound rule.

Yes, the top teams would probably all settle on the same strategy but the midfield runners (Force India) who are close enough on pace to be within the pit window could at least try to adopt a 0 stop race providing they can manage the tyres.

Of course there’s the argument that wouldn’t everyone just go slower to manage tyres. That’s a possibility but it would only take one car out of position and with the engine cranked to force their hand and all hell would break loose.

Caporegime
Herewith three changes I would like to see:

The cars: narrow wheels. Make the wheels the same width as those on normal road cars. This will make the race more relevant to normal drivers and means that technologies will filter down to road cars more easily. It will also give the cars less grip which will slow the cars down and make races more exciting.

Qualification: cars that finished in the top 8 or 10 of the last race get a bye on Q1. This will allow more track space in Q1.

The race: eliminate grid place penalties for component changes. Rather, impose pit stop time penalties or (possibly multiple) drive-throughs. Grid place penalties are too severe and often prevent a fast driver from winning.

What do you think? Do you like my suggestions?

Just to narrow these down, racing doesn't have to have any relevance to road cars in the slightest and requiring they do makes no sense. More over, the tires are specifically designed to degrade in a completely different way to road cars, to operate in completely different conditions at completely different temperatures, at completely different pressures, there is zero connection to road cars and again absolutely no reason for them to be a connection.

Thinner tires can also be made to have more grip than wider tires if they are made of substances with more grip, wide tires can be made to have far less grip if you make them out of different materials.

Second one... at first glance isn't a horrendous idea, but in reality it is. People treat F1 like it's not a changing beast. At one track Mclaren qualifies in Q3 and people say "their car is fixed" then they qualify 17th at the next track and people say "what went wrong, they have a much faster car than that", and in reality the track changed from Monaco to Canada and it's just a completely different track. What you'd be doing is giving a completely ludicrous unfair advantage to certain cars based purely on the scheduling of the year. as track style, temperature conditions, if it's raining or not and tires used changes from race to race the only fair way to let them compete is to start from scratch at each track. Also the few times a top 3 car goes out at the wrong time or gets caught out by rain by waiting to do their lap and misses out, all that goes out of the window as the top 15 will now barely change from race to race.

Lastly, the worst decision of them all. In COTA Max started 19th or 20th, by lap 15 or so he was ~ 16 seconds off the lead in 7-8th place. So what you want to do is remove that penalty and instead give them a 25+ second pitstop/drive through time penalty which is in fact much more severe in that situation than the components penalty? Yeah, superb idea.

Caporegime
I remember back then, infact i vaguely remember Qualifying being held over two days at one point.

All the recent qualifying formats have been devised to try and fill a 1 hour time slot, because, as you said, people used to sit around doing sod all most of the session.

I just think even with the current format, if you were to ditch Q1, knock out a few more people in Q2, and have Q3 the same. You could easily half the time, and get near enough the same results.

YOu realise people go to the tracks right, and the way the tracks who host F1 make money is by people turning up to the track... the goal isn't to fit it into a nice condensed quick to view and get it over with tv slot so you can do what you want with the rest of your weekend. It's actually so that the fans get to see the cars actually competing. By your own logic you can say, well reduce the race to a 30 min sprint, because it will be about the same result and then it's over. But the reality is, then fans wouldn't go to the track, £150 for tickets and spending 2-3 days somewhere to see F1 cars on track for an hour total on sat/sunday? Why not make all the support races really short as well.

Fundamentally F1 is a spectator sport, without tracks they have no where to race, for tracks to host F1 they pay money, for tracks to make money making hosting worthwhile they charge money for tickets and people pay money for tickets to be.... entertained, not to have it over as quickly as possible removing any value the entertainment has.

IF anything F1 should be looking at providing more value to fans with a second race as opposed to trying to cut down the time because someone at home wants to waste a little less time. Qualifying in no way needs to be shorter and in fact for the reasons above would severely damage the sport.

If you want to watch for less time because you personally don't want to watch for as long, watch the highlights.

Caporegime
Realistically another race would need to be done on saturday afternoon or evening. IF cars are in a crash it can take half a day to rebuild a car fully so they need to be spread out and in terms of tiredness/physicality of actually taking part, adding a race on saturday after qualifying and probably moving qualifying to a morning slot at say 11am then a race at 4pm for an hour is the most likely option.

But adding more races in general means more spare parts required per weekend, more bits breaking, more running, more cost so it's not ideal.

Maybe adding something like a third driver race and cheaper much simpler cars only used for third/young driver race and maybe that can affect the constructors championship but not the drivers championship? Or just have a young constructors/drivers championship completely separate.

Soldato
Maybe adding something like a third driver race and cheaper much simpler cars only used for third/young driver race and maybe that can affect the constructors championship but not the drivers championship? Or just have a young constructors/drivers championship completely separate.

Otherwise known as "F2" and "F3".

Soldato
Assuming money is no object, I'd like to see...
Scrap grid penalties and just deduct points from constructors (really like this idea)

This rule would fall apart as soon as, say, Stroll senior, decides that buying his kid an F1 team isn't enough and what he should really do to show him how much he loves him is to buy him a world championship. Suddenly junior is rocking up to every round with a brand new engine, turned up to 11 all the way through every session and under continuous development just like the good old days. Hell, he can have a new engine every session if he likes. He's driving past people on the straights for fun and cruises to the world championship whilst the team have a 'terrible' season and finish on minus eleventy billion points.

Soldato
kaiowas I was going to say lets put trust in the teams to still in good faith run as less engines as possible.

But then I remembered that it is in the blood of every F1 team to find a way to cheat, and push every rule to its limit, so what you said I could see someone doing if the rule changed.

It seems ferrari e.g. may have been cheating for their 4 tenths boost on straights as they have mysteriously stopped doing it as if they were told behind closed doors to stop it.

Back
Top Bottom