Charged £52 for 4mb

Soldato
You could try complaining but ultimately you’ve gone outside the EU where prices differ, they may waive it as a goodwill gesture but they have no obligation to do so .

Wrong.

I had no problem using my phone in northern Cyprus last year (which is occupied and administered by Turkey) with EE.

Just bought a data add on so I could post photos etc whilst out and about.

https://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benef...oaming-costs/countries/turkey--inc--n-cyprus-

WRONG!
How am i wrong if you had to buy an add on. LOL
We're talking about using your standard included data and minutes, not add ons that defeats the point.

Vodafone is the only one because they are owned by Turkcel. It costs you nothing extra, which is why when i go to North Cyprus i swap my Three sim out for a Vodafone one.

Soldato
You might have a chance at contesting this, they're under no obligation though, it would be a goodwill gesture.

Think your self lucky you didn't decide to watch a film on Netflix, Now that would have been a bill!

Many years ago, back when I still worked for Vodafone I used to see some epic data bills. Back then we sold USB dongles with 1GB of data as the standard package, so many people would use streaming video and believe it was safe as 'they weren't downloading anything' and then look in shock and awe when they ran up £10k bills in a few days (out of bundle charges were extortionate). Back then Voda never had a price capping system that worked, the billing system updated about once every 3 days, so if you caught it at a bad time you could get absolutely mullered.

To be fair, every case I ever dealt with I managed to get the costs mostly written off as those of sort of bills could cripple people for years.

Soldato
I had something similar a few years ago with Three, when they were just beginning to roll out their overseas all-inclusive plans. I was motorbiking between Belgium, France and Germany, and could cross over (or engage) different coverage in different countries multiple times all day. One of the countries - I forget which - did not yet have the Three agreement in place.

I had a reasonable bill - nowhere near what the OP had - and queried it. Once it got past Three's awful first line customer service, it was waived as they couldn't really administer it properly.

Perhaps GPS billing is more accurate than 'what mast' these days.

Caporegime
WRONG!
How am i wrong if you had to buy an add on. LOL
We're talking about using your standard included data and minutes, not add ons that defeats the point.

Vodafone is the only one because they are owned by Turkcel. It costs you nothing extra, which is why when i go to North Cyprus i swap my Three sim out for a Vodafone one.
No good applying context afterwards...

Your quote was “Only Vodaphone cover Turkey” which plainly is incorrect. :p

Caporegime
How did you like North Cyprus? Where did you stay. Were going to Pia Bella in Girne again.
Loved it, we stayed at the Dome hotel in Kyrenia - my ex’s parents live near Paphos in the south but we went to the north for a few days - the hotel is ok, in need of renovation to be honest but it’s outside pools (especially the salt water one) was great, the only downside to the hotel was they seemed to host loud Turkish weddings every other night!

The north itself was a surprise, you’d struggle to realise you were in an occupied area (apart from going through the UN checkpoints) and other than a few flags you wouldn’t know it was Turkish occupation either tbh.

The locals were extremely friendly, I’d highly recommend it.

Unbelievably cheap, especially compared to south Cyprus which in itself isn’t expensive, we could eat and drink out for a party of five most nights for well under €30!

One thing though you may struggle to get a southern Cyprus registered hire car into the north and coming from the nort back to the south be very careful of what you bring back with you, the Greek Cypriot border guards like to search, confiscate and fine!

Soldato
Loved it, we stayed at the Dome hotel in Kyrenia - my ex’s parents live near Paphos in the south but we went to the north for a few days - the hotel is ok, in need of renovation to be honest but it’s outside pools (especially the salt water one) was great, the only downside to the hotel was they seemed to host loud Turkish weddings every other night!

The north itself was a surprise, you’d struggle to realise you were in an occupied area (apart from going through the UN checkpoints) and other than a few flags you wouldn’t know it was Turkish occupation either tbh.

The locals were extremely friendly, I’d highly recommend it.

Unbelievably cheap, especially compared to south Cyprus which in itself isn’t expensive, we could eat and drink out for a party of five most nights for well under €30!

One thing though you may struggle to get a southern Cyprus registered hire car into the north and coming from the nort back to the south be very careful of what you bring back with you, the Greek Cypriot border guards like to search, confiscate and fine!

I've been going for nearly 20 years. Love the place, flying into the North to Ercan from Manchester via Istanbul.

Soldato
Presumably their world-leading terrible customer service won’t change either! Great network while everything works, but if the tiniest thing goes wrong with your account or contract then you’re into hours of the very worst that off-shore call centres have to ‘offer’.

Soldato
OP
Spoken to Virgin today, managed to get £19 credited to my account , happy with that. Going to Bosnia tomorrow, will put airplane mode on at the border!

Back
Top Bottom