Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe

Caporegime
This was totally hilarious. Although it is quite spooky as Charlie and me must have been separated at birth. His description at the beginning was me and we have too many things in common like a dislike of MMORPGs. :D

EDIT: And I thought Dara O'Briain's rant was spot on. Such as being stuck in Gears of War - no matter what difficulty you set the game to it has no effect on whether you can get the Beserker to smash through three doors, etc. and the best content in Rock Band being locked until you progress the **** tracks that no-one has ever heard of. :D

The bit about the book was brilliant. :p

"Are you understanding the book? Talk to me about the characters development in the initial 3 chapters. What themes have emerged?"

:D

Soldato
EDIT: And I thought Dara O'Briain's rant was spot on. Such as being stuck in Gears of War - no matter what difficulty you set the game to it has no effect on whether you can get the Beserker to smash through three doors, etc. and the best content in Rock Band being locked until you progress the **** tracks that no-one has ever heard of. :D

I guess, but he just comes across as a complete noob :)

Great program though.

Soldato
I'd Sky Plus'd this and watched it last night. I found it really interesting and funny. Certainly worth watching. Charlie and Darra were both very funny.

Soldato
The only bit that was inconsistent was Dara's Gears of War Door rant.

A) The big style buildings they have could easily have 3 chamber rooms like that.
B) You are leading the beserker to an open air point where you can use the Hammer of Dawn to kill it, not just arbitrarily making him bash through 3 doors.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it.

Caporegime
The only bit that was inconsistent was Dara's Gears of War Door rant.

The developers could have made that easier though - he feels he's missed out on 89% of the game (whether that's accurate or not, who knows) because he can't get past the beserker bit.

On easy mode, they should have checkpointed the game after every door bash. Heck, they may even do so. It's been aeons since I've played Gears of War and Dara may be a total noob. ;)

Soldato
Yea but its typical of a game to be repetitive which is fine for old school gamers but not really a good point for the masses. It could have been one door then make him charge over a cliff or something

Its always been a complaint of mine that games force you you to play just one way or its game over and repeat. Often that one way is repetitive and/or boring which leads the guy to think screw this crap, I could be getting drunk instead

Soldato
A) It wasnt difficult.
B) The entire purpose of that section is to use the HoD, which you've just acquired.. conveniently. So running the Beserker off of a cliff would be rather random... although I'm sure CliffyB would have loved it.

I can't help but feel he is just making it up to put across a point. Its the only part of the show I disagreed with really.

Soldato
I thought it was a good point. The same thing happened to me on Viewtiful Joe it was a hard game and I had no compunctions about playing it that way. Except when I got to the point where you had to defeat, the five bosses you had already beaten, all in a row without saving.

That wasnt being hard that was just being a barsteward. I dont mind a challenge but being required to repeat actions you have already done and believing that that is a challenge. The problem is we arent able to perfectly repeat our actions, and the more we are asked to repeat, the more likely we are to fail just from general randomness or the build up of tension.

People dont work like machines, its annoying to be expected to behave like one. I cant see anything wrong with having some kind of work around if you are having trouble in cheap situations like that. Like after you fail a certain number of times your mates drop in to help you out and blow it away.

They dont just have to go one way, all manner of variation can be added to them, and I'm not talking about alternate routes or endings, although it would good to finally have something like that. Thats what I thought games were about after all, players playing and experiencing things in different ways, unlike the other medias which are always static.

Caporegime
I never finished Heavenly Sword because I just couldn't defeat the boss man at the end. Why didn't they have a button "press triangle to skip this battle and watch the end of the game but you don't get the trophy" [not that there are trophies in Heavenly Sword.]

Back
Top Bottom