Cheap GPU For Now?

Associate
Just need a cheap gpu to play games atm, i have a amd r9 380 2gb, and its okay but im wanting to start playing warzone and, New World ect and my pc just cant handle it without stuttering badly. Is there any cheap gpus i could use for now until maybe start of next year to play these games? doesnt have to play max settings ect just stably. Also i have a AOC 144hz monitor with freesync i dont know it that affects what gpus i can have or not? Thanks

Associate
OP
Current pc is: Intel i5 4460, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb HD, AMD R9 380 2GB. Anything else? and idk just something thatll run them sort of games. I know theres a shortage of GPUs atm and theyre a lot more expensive, was just wondering if theres any cheapish ones i could just use for now? Ive had this pc for about 7 8 years and i think it is on its way out lol, i probably will be buying a new one some point next year.

Soldato
Try get a 3060ti FE for £369 as that's probably the best VFM GPU right now for price to performance.

If you want to bring things up to date for cheap then something like this would work nicely and give a solid upgrade path when funds allow.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £280.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try get a 3060ti FE for £369 as that's probably the best VFM GPU right now for price to performance.

If you want to bring things up to date for cheap then something like this would work nicely and give a solid upgrade path when funds allow.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £280.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks man!, will definitley look into it!, any other gpus to look out for? and also should i just keep my psu and hd/ssd for time being?

Soldato
Thanks man!, will definitley look into it!, any other gpus to look out for? and also should i just keep my psu and hd/ssd for time being?
Everything other than the FE models are overpriced so not really worth considering unless your desperate.

You could always grab a new psu + nvme but depends how much cash you have to spare. The above is just the bare minimum you would need to spend to bring the PC to date while re-using some of your current parts.

Associate
We just had a conversation on another thread regarding warzone. Nick9one1 just got a 3080ti but was getting poor fps with a r5 3600. He had some old ram but after a bit of delving, warzone turns out to be very CPU intensive and looks like his CPU was throttling performance. That and rust(his other game of choice, also CPU intensive). May be worth a little searching to see how a 3060ti performs with the 3600, as saving a bit more and stretching to a b550/5600x combo may give another jump in performance for that game

Associate
OP
We just had a conversation on another thread regarding warzone. Nick9one1 just got a 3080ti but was getting poor fps with a r5 3600. He had some old ram but after a bit of delving, warzone turns out to be very CPU intensive and looks like his CPU was throttling performance. That and rust(his other game of choice, also CPU intensive). May be worth a little searching to see how a 3060ti performs with the 3600, as saving a bit more and stretching to a b550/5600x combo may give another jump in performance for that game

Okay thanks! Does anyone have any knowledge of the new game New World? What would you suggest specs to play that? I tried it during the beta and my fps was fluctuating from 40 to 20 and had constant stutters? I'd like to play it as a lot of my friends will be but at the mo my pc just can't run it enjoyabley.

Soldato
A 3600 gives largely the same fps as a 5600X with a GPU like like the 3060ti, don't forget the 3080ti is around 50% faster so that's why it bottlenecks more.

Another downside with a 5600X is its a lot of cash for just 6 cores which will need upgrading sooner rather than later.

Associate
OP
It's the game that's supposedly frying 3090's and other higher end cards....might want to do a google on the issue although I have no first hand experience of it or the game.

Ah yeah i heard that too it was just the evga cards i think? do you think my gpu should be able to play it if i upgrade my cpu mbo and ram?

Associate
OP
Just bought a 5600x for 209 off ebay, which mbo and ram works best with it and best paired with it? thanks! Dont really want to spend a bomb mind! :cry:

Associate
The R9 380 was a bit of a beast in its day, but that was a LONG time ago... the good news is that your PSU will be fine for some pretty reasonable upgrades.

In terms of current budget GPUs:
GTX1050Ti - sideways step - VERY similar performance only worth considering if your 380 is actually dying and the budget is very tight.
GTX1060 3Gb - very small step up
GTX1060 6Gb - a very different card from the 3Gb and probably the first upgrade worth considering... also the first one that's really popular for mining...
GTX1070 / GTX1650Ti/super / GTX1660Ti/super - probably the sort of performance you're after, but we're talking £300+ for most of these in the current environment...

If you're set on upgrading your PC, then an RTX 3060 would probably be fine (similar power draw) and an RTX 3060Ti is only a small step up... but factor in a new PSU if there is any sign of power throttling... and when it comes to upgrading the rest, jsut don't consider an 11th gen Intel on that PSU (it's NOT a 65W CPU!!) :cry:

And don't go above a 3060Ti unless you're also upgrading the CPU - something like a RTX3080 will perform SLOWER than a 3060Ti in some games if the CPU can't cope with the driver overhead... the differences start emerging even with 9th gen i7's and are very evident for 4th gen i7's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G03fzsYUNDU

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The R9 380 was a bit of a beast in its day, but that was a LONG time ago... the good news is that your PSU will be fine for some pretty reasonable upgrades.

In terms of current budget GPUs:
GTX1050Ti - sideways step - VERY similar performance only worth considering if your 380 is actually dying and the budget is very tight.
GTX1060 3Gb - very small step up
GTX1060 6Gb - a very different card from the 3Gb and probably the first upgrade worth considering... also the first one that's really popular for mining...
GTX1070 / GTX1650Ti/super / GTX1660Ti/super - probably the sort of performance you're after, but we're talking £300+ for most of these in the current environment...

If you're set on upgrading your PC, then an RTX 3060 would probably be fine (similar power draw) and an RTX 3060Ti is only a small step up... but factor in a new PSU if there is any sign of power throttling... and when it comes to upgrading the rest, jsut don't consider an 11th gen Intel on that PSU (it's NOT a 65W CPU!!) :cry:

And don't go above a 3060Ti unless you're also upgrading the CPU - something like a RTX3080 will perform SLOWER than a 3060Ti in some games if the CPU can't cope with the driver overhead... the differences start emerging even with 9th gen i7's and are very evident for 4th gen i7's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G03fzsYUNDU

Thanks for the informative reply man! the 5600x comes on the 4th, ill end up buying 16gb ram, would you reccommend the b450 or the b550 mbo for it? i think ill just re use my ssd, HD, psu and gpu for the time being until gpu prices go down unles you think there will be any problems with that?

Back
Top Bottom