• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheap GTX 1070 or RTX 2060?

Associate
I have an old Alenware Aurora R4, which serves me well (i7/16GB RAM, 875w PSU). The graphics card however is dated (GTX 560TI).

I can get hold of a new GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB for around £290, or spend the extra on the new RTX 2060 for around £380.

I need to use a blower type card. Asus 1070 seems ok, but the Asus 2060 has been reviewed with heat problems y some, so there's very limited choice on the blower type cheaper RTX.

[I'm presumig the founders edition 2060 isn't a blower/exhaust-out-the-back type?]

I like to run multiple monitors for work (each currently 2560 x 1440px), but also occassional games.

I noticed some disappointing reviews for the 2060, with some complaining about crashing. Previous issues with Micron memory problems on the 1070 cards I understand was addressed, so the 1070 cards appear to be stable.

Which do you think is the best option (presuming the 2060 will fit in my case)?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi and thanks for your reply.
My unit already sounds like a cross between a 747 taking off and a dyson hairdryer. Like to reduce the noise a little, or at least keep the same I think. Alienware's design looks like it must have a blower card (or so they tell me).
I'm sort of used to the Nvidia cards and haven't a clue with AMD, but I've just looked at reviews for the vega56 and it looks like the 1070 is slightly better performance wise (only looked at 2 reviews though).

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
I will take a closer look, as I'm completely unfamiliar with AMD based cards, but if you had to choose between a 1070 @ £290 and a 2060@£390, which would you choose?

OcUK Staff
Is that a blower type? And what are the performance costs of those smaller cards?

Performance is similar, its still same card, just smaller format, same performance, just look at clock speeds.

Vega 56 cost slightly less, has better cooler, more games and when undervolted performs better.

OcUK Staff
I will take a closer look, as I'm completely unfamiliar with AMD based cards, but if you had to choose between a 1070 @ £290 and a 2060@£390, which would you choose?

A Vega 56 at £289, £390 is too much for a 2060, as £450 gets you the much better 2070 !

Or to flip it £390 also gets you a Vega 64 which is a better card full stop!

bru

bru

Soldato

As Gibbo has just said £390 is too much for a 2060. £330 for the zotac twin model would be my choice.

As said for £390 the Vega 64 is hard to beat.

Associate
OP
But I need a blower card - I'm told by Dell the Aurora R4 requires that type. I've been offered a brand new Asus 1070 Turbo for £290ish, (I'm replacing an old GTX560Ti), hence my question as to whether that's the best option. Not sure I can stretch to nearly £400.

So it looks like the 2060 is out of the running. Are we down to Asus 1070 Turbo (£290) vs MSI Vega 56 Air Boost (£270)

I am getting the impression the Vega 56 is not as popular? Is that about right?
No one going to speak up for the Nvidia option?

bru

bru

Soldato
The dell aurora R4 doesn't need to use a blower card, dell are just telling you that to cover themselves.
The out going 560ti has 170W TDP or a 210W TDP depending on which variant it is, the 2060 is a 160W chip and the 1070 a 160W chip.
Bottom line is th heat output will be very similar to the out going card, so don't let that worry you too much.
By comparison the vega 56 is a 210W chip so they will run hotter, but they do respond well to undervolting which can help tame them abit.

Associate
OP
Its not just Dell, its the owners community. The Dell 560Ti is a blower type I think - actually I'm not sure it is until I open it up and look(!).

Here someone with an Auroroa R3 (looks like same case) who tried an open style card, with overheating:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/alienware-aurora-r3-case-air-flow-question.395986/

And yet the odd one has said it was fine:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4tkmc6/1070_fe_or_aftermarket_cooler_aurora_r4_help/

It seems a safe bet to opt for the blower type(?) unless I can work out a way of dealing with the airflow - besides they seem cheaper?

Associate
OP
I'll take a look. Not bothered about those games though. If I did opt for the 1070, would that be a really bad thing?
I'm certainly not going to ignore advice here, just in case there's something about the Vega 56 I'm not sure about, as I need to look at it closely regarding heat/noise, multi-monitor support, and reliability etc.

As no one seems to be speaking up for the 1070, that seems a concern - you list a 1080Ti on your footer, but still recommmend the AMD. Worrying for the Nvidia options!

Soldato
There’s a lot of choice in the mid range right now which is great but can be confusing.

First thing to do is not panic. Have a look here
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_1660_Ti_Gaming_X/28.html

You will see all the cards mentioned in this thread and many more are very close in performance. What this means it’s almost impossible to make a wrong choice based on performance alone. The vega 56 has a lot of fans on here (I bought one myself) and at its current price point it’s difficult not to recommend it but I would stay very clear of a blower version.

As you have some quite clear noise/heat requirements I would also look at the more power efficient cards in that same price bracket.

Do you have to buy a blower card? Can you post a pic of your case so we can advise?

Soldato
Lol get Vega 56 please flash Vega 64 bios and enjoy 1080 performance. No brainer, sell games and total cost will be £220~ for 1080 like performance. No contest...

bru

bru

Soldato
The case in question is this style and the shroud over the GPU area can be removed.

del-R4-case.jpg

Direct copy of what I posted in a thread asking for which 2060.

Well for that extra £10 over the cheapest 1070 the 2060 is a lot faster and the 1080 is
No longer available here. But if you can find one it is a lot more expensive
Vega 56 is around 10% slower and a lot more power and heat for your trouble. If you don't want a blower version you don't even save much (£10) over the cheapest 2060 either.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the 2060 prices are good, no not at all, but for the performance you get they are pretty much in line with everything else available.

Associate
If you really want a blower, then get the MSI Vega 56 Air Boost here. It's a very nice card overall, and the game bundle is a good deal.

There's nothing wrong with the GTX 1070, but the Vega 56 does have an edge over it. It's up to you, but I would go with the Vega in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom